The Draenei, where to go from here?

So I might be alone in this, but I’m not sure what is left for the Draenei narratively speaking. There are some things I would like expanded on and explored but I’m not sure how since it’s essentially going to be disconnected from the over arcing storyline.

Maybe we’ll get more if they do the whole Void vs. Light thing, but I’ll be honest in that I don’t have much interest in it.

What are some things left to explore that is relevant to Azeroth? Maybe an update on The Isles and how nature is recovering from the radiation?

7 Likes

I think they are in a great place right now.
Their story is pretty much narratively concluded and all thats left for them is to rebuild their civilization and usher us to a glorious new space age.

There are a lot of Draenei assets from WoD that can be used to refurbish the Azurmist Isles to a Draenei theme park if they ever revamp the world.

13 Likes

Being a Draenei its not like we can go back to Argus that planet is corrupted. With the legion defeated all we have left to do is start a new life on Aezorth and help out the alliance because that is who we allied with. Some Draenei may want to continue to fight whatever threatens their new home.

1 Like

well one thing blizz could do is actually advance their civilization in some way, have some actual settlements on the isles instead of crash sites. maybe bring back the council of exarchs

2 Likes

Now that it’s been made clear that they intend to stay here for good, they and the Stillpine Furbolgs should build themselves a proper seat of power on their Isles, giving the Alliance a much needed presence in Kalimdor (now that Teldrassil is gone, with Darkshore partly becoming Horde territory + some things hinting at the Kaldorei potentially relocating to the Dragon Isles).

Of course there’s also the AU Mag’har and Lightbound plot that’s on its way and I’m sure they will play a part in this narrative.

Maybe have a broken story line?

2 Likes

I am hoping the remnants of The Burning Legion can exist in a similar capacity to The Scourge, where cutting the head off the snake just creates several smaller snakes to deal with. Dealing with that is still very much in Draenei territory.

5 Likes

I can see a few directions they could go, but knowing blizzard they’re just going to be background fluff for the alliance going forward.

Narrative threads I can see happening:
Return to Argus. The entire planet is still infested and it should be possible to de-fel most of it akin to Outland. The seat of the Triumvirates was relatively clear and thriving. Why? Was it kept that way out of respect or mourning? Or maybe the planet has pockets of beauty still left to see.
Redemption of the Eredar. There is also a possibility many of our fallen brethen regret or joined under duress and didn’t actually believe in the Legion’s goals. Coming to terms and the consequences of their actions are a possibility. I refuse to believe they were all 100% cartoon villians. The legion lies to get their way. They may of been victims just like everyone else.
Yrel. The timeline between Dreanor and Outland was tenuous. The horde managed to bring the Mag’har over, we could easily bring Yrel over, or maybe the two timelines merge into a new Dreanor/Outland Hybrid. Yrel could be a very good foil to Velen and a good source of internal politics.
Demon worlds. The draenei still have an armada of space faring vehicles (Vindicaar, Tempest keep, Botanica, ect) and we know of multiple demon worlds still in holdouts. This could lead to a Shining Crusade to wipe out all demons from the known universe.
Exodar crashsite. Exodar was scrapped to build the Vindicaar, but theres no reason it couldn’t be fixed or retrofitted now that time is not of the essence. They have atleast 3 crashed ships to pilfer parts from. Maybe they don’t want to raise the crash and could instead focus on living on Azzeroth, this may cause relationship strains with the night elves and could be a good politcal thread.

1 Like

I strongly suspect that the Draenei story is going to be a rehash of the Protoss, especially if we compare Yrel’s faction to the Tal’drim and the Light to the Khala…

But I hope I’m wrong, and that we instead get the Draenei re-settling and building a new civilization (as long as they don’t build it just for some villain to smash it). I’d like to see a magic technological arms race - not military, just inventing - between the Draenei and the Nightborne.

As long as those assets don’t get squandered on a “Lightbound” story by the writers, I’d really love to see what they can do.

I like everything about this (as long as they don’t squander Yrel’s group on some “MuH DoGmAtIsM BaaaaaaaaD” story arc).

Personally?

I’d like to see Yrel and the other AU Draenei come over to Azeroth to start building a new society. I think seeing her lead the Lightforged Draenei (there really is no reason for Turalyon to be leading them, let their leader be an actual Draenei), would be a nice change of pace, and she was Velen’s successor in the AU, kind of making her his equal.

At that point, have them reform the Triumvirate as they knew it on Argus, except in place of Kil’jaeden and Archimonde, we’d have Yrel and Nobundo.

1 Like

I think the Draenei have tons of potential but I dont think Blizzard will put much time into them for a while. They did have alot of attention in BC, WoD, and Legion, and they settled scores on their homeworld.

Velen has earned that smug quietude he displayed during BfA.

They have not gone any where from there. But they have tons of potential.

The Manari could bring all sorts of stories. Either as a force to contend with, or a force to bring back to the fold.

The Broken and the Krokul also have a lot they could bring to the setting as allies and as far as reclaiming Argus.

Yrel and the Lightbound have been teased. Their return to the story can bring all sorts of timey-wimey and alternate universe shenanigans.

I think there is a wealth of stuff there to explore. I just wonder when the right time to include them would be.

1 Like

Kind of dont want yrel and AU draenei to come over since current maghar story makes them out lightbound Zaelots and will stop at nothing to convert everyone into the light. Need a break from cosmic forces

I would love to see the isles turned into a proper Draenei city and not just a crashed ship. Mix in lightforged draenei as well.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much where I’m at. All their major storylines have been resolved, so I think it’d be a good time to just focus on them rebuilding their society. Clean up the wreckage, purify Bloodmyst, and give them some actual towns and facilities using the WoD models.

You could even have a low-stakes ongoing adventure, like trying to hunt down all the ata’mal crystal shards. Nothing huge or world-altering, but still relevant to the draenei.

6 Likes

With the end of (the Burning) Legion their main motive has been resolved. Like most people already have said its long overdue that their islands get build into a proper beacon of Draenic civilisation.

I know it’s simple financial thing. Why revamp a zone? But it has irked me how the Draenei are seemingly still living in ruins and the blood elves haven’t rebuild fully, nor reclaimed the ghostlands. What saddens me most is WoD however. Shattrath has a wonderful neighbourhood with neat little details like left overs from a birthday party. Shadowmoon valley has amazing sights and towns, Elodor for example highlighting Draenei farming. They really tried to give the Draenei more depth with WoD, but I feel like deadlines cut a lot of it out (same with the Temple of Karabor.) To this day, in my opinion, WoD was the one expansion with the most potential out of all of them narrative wise.

1 Like

I think this would be a great next narrative. It might be cool for them to have some type of reconnection with Outland. Going to Argus and claiming some part would be cool too.

Argus is gone chief it turned to dust

I mean, that’s the Mag’har’s story. We haven’t had the other side of that story just yet. The Mag’har believe the Light was killing Draenor, but that’s fairly contradictory to what we’ve seen the Light actually do.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn Yrel’s side of the story is that AU Draenor could have been saved with the help of the Mag’har, but they went all paranoid and refused to help, save for a few wise souls such as Exarch Hellscream.

That doesn’t necessarily forestall any zealotry or evil from Yrel and her Draenei, mind you, but it does diffuse things significantly until we do end up having to deal with a, ‘The Light is Bad,’ expansion.

1 Like

Say, whatever happened to the Vindicaar?

1 Like

It’s apparently floating around in space as a useless piece of junk. Or something

1 Like

I’m still perplexed why we haven’t heard from them. Tehd and Marius turn up in Zuldazar to kill a Shivara hiding in a cave there but beyond that I don’t think the demons have come up much, beyond the Dreadlords being revealed to be behind a big scheme in SL and at this point it’d be more interesting if they weren’t up to something for once.

Sargeras’s banishment presumably created a massive power vaccum. The Legion is a galactic and interdimensonal empire. So I can only presume one of the most violent and bloody wars in this universes history is playing out as Eredar and Annihilian scramble to control their own slice of Legion worlds.

Having them turn up on Azeroth looking to hire adventurers to give them an edge in this turf war could be pretty interesting.

8 Likes