The DPS meter is not everything

Kill order with two mages? Just group up stuff and let them blizzard.

This changes when you tank in a raid and dps pulling agro means a wipe becasue the boss does a cleave.
DPS need to monitor their threat. Might as well learn in dungeons.

As long as you are not hurting the raid or skipping on responsibilities then sure make it a challenge for yourself. If you’re out of position or attacking the wrong mob then your hurting the raid.

1 Like

Agree. It’s not everything. Especially for some runs, certain classes have to sacrifice dps for cc, kiting or dispells/decursing.

Same for healing meter. Damage absorbs through PW:S do not show up in the healing meter. Time/mana spent for dispelling big dots don’t show up in the meter. Fear warding and dispelling cc/silence on the party/raid members to ensure we do not wipe do not show up in the meter. If all I care about is HPS, the run will not be smooth.

2 Likes

I only use meters as a measuring stick for myself and never use it to chastise other dps in dungeons. I do notice what other rogues do as far as opener, abilities etc and sometimes message them pointers if they are struggling. I’ve had some take it very well and we chat for several minutes about it and I’ve had some take it negatively and ignore me but I never toss meters in people’s faces.

1 Like

I feel like no one actually cares about dungeon dps lol. It’s really raids that matter, and you have warcraftlogs for those.

There’s a very big difference between dungeons and raids in this respect. Dungeons require a lot more than just DPS. Raids mostly don’t. There’s a reason nobody ever posts logs from dungeons.

2 Likes

nah not carrying people who cant outdps the tank
sorry

The mages were probably idiots or friends/guildies who didn’t want to have to fake logging off. With two or more mages, they could have done 4 runs in the time it took to do 3. He’s an idiot. Anything more than 3 mobs and mana efficiency points to using Blizzard unless they spec’d arcane or fire for some reason. I feel sorry for any mages who have to deal with tanks of the same level that can’t hold aggro after getting at least 3-5 seconds to hold aggro.

Even worse, I’d never stay in a party where the warrior tank doesn’t want Blizzard AoE damage just because he can’t hold aggro. It’s the ping pong effect between the mages with Imp Blizzard and the tank that makes it so much more efficient to run ZF if it’s not a ZF GY spell cleave.

One reason why I love healing druid tanks and partying with them on my mage. They don’t have to equip shields to mitigate damage and most I’ve run into aren’t hell bent on trying beat DPS meters as the tank. And the best part is that they can hold aggro during AoE’s without much issue.

the only thing worth measuring is how long it took you to clear an instance. everything else is noise.

Ah yeah I’m top dps because I casted my blizzard and cone of cold 1 second before the other caster and I have better gear, IM A GOD!!! DID YOU SEE ME PUT THAT BLIZZARD SPELL WHERE THE MOBS WERE!!!

3 Likes

I wish mages would give me even 2 seconds to group the mobs up before smashin their blizzard button, its not about holding threat its about letting the tank get the mobs nice and tight.

2 Likes

Well the tanks don’t really need to hold aggro. The charge in/run in and group the mobs up. The mages then nova them and start to blizzard from range. The tank’s only job from that point on is to grab stragglers or mobs that resist the nova and let the mages blizzard the mobs the same as they do solo mob grinding.

The issue is the tanks still have the mindset that they are the tank and have to have aggro on it all, when really they are a support role for the mage(s).

What is more optimal with better co-ordination:
doing 300dps over 4 minutes plus a 30 second break to mana up because mobs self healed 3x their original hp or
doing 200dps over 2 minutes and proceeding to next pull?

3 Likes

The answer is always, as many mobs as your tank can round up before they die, and letting the mage(s) aoe them down.

Unless there’s lots of caster mobs, dangerous mobs that fear, are immune to stuff, then you can prio some stuff. You see mobs like these in Strath etc.

1 Like

Those are the mages/warlocks I let die if they can’t get with the program. They screw it up for the other players AoE’ing having to recast only to hit most of the mobs instead of all because the mobs are now spread out instead of grouped up.

this is exactly what i use them for… when i dps

when i tank i do as a previous poster mentioned- i use it to spot inconsistencies and whatnot

very recently i had a dungeon run and the other warlock was doing way more dps and was only a few levels higher

so i checked it out- what abilities was he using? what were his talents etc

then i looked into it a bit and basically overhauled my casting priorities

my meters also give healing
i am pretty sure you can get damage taken or interrupts- very practical applications

(what about the dude who has an automated chat bubble “putz has interrupted pass gas”- how annoying is that guy?)

meters are a tool; how they are used is what differentiates players

I top healing in 5mans all the time, its so good!

1 Like

You said the dps meter is a certain way to measure the efficiency of the group.

If you are fighting a pack of self healing mobs and do a total of 72000dmg over 4 minutes for more dps instead of 24000dmg over 2 minutes for 200dps because dmg was split and heals where not interrupted or leeching was not out damaged that is not efficient .
We are probably just arguing semantics because to me dps meter refers to only one of the many variables the damage meter keeps track off and that dps number is not a good way of measuring how efficient and or proficient a group or individual in the group is.

HPS is also on the parser. We all call it a dps meter, but the parser lets you know exactly how well you’re playing. And the end goal is efficiency, which at some point means maximizing damage output and throughput. I already mentioned throughput too, which means unmitigated dps, or the damage landing and staying on the target.

There’s no way you can slice this wherein your dps meter, which means your parser, isn’t a tool to lean on for playing better.