The Disaster that is the Reclamation of Gilneas

A warning for spoilers on the Reclamation of Gilneas.

I’ll just say it directly: the questline for the reclamation of Gilneas City is some of the weakest content I’ve experienced in WoW. There’s very little redeemable about it, unfortunately, especially for content that ultimately exists for the enjoyment of those who keep up with the lore and story of the game, given it provides no real additional value. It speaks to me of a lack of care for the weight of what it represents, given it is an event that people who have more closely followed the developments of the story have been hoping for for a decade now.

The worgen starting zone has an amazing set of story beats, with the fall of the kingdom being shown as it is crushed under the Cataclysm and at the hands of the Forsaken. It leaves any worgen player raring to get out there and get their vengeance upon both Deathwing and the forsaken, and created one of my favourite rivalries with werewolves who cannot fall to undeath versus relentless undead who want them exterminated, which continues in the Silverpine Forest story quests. The rivalry endures with Genn, especially throughout Legion and, partly, Battle for Azeroth.

But of late, Genn’s relationship with the Forsaken changed, and he was written to mellow out. This happened – you guessed it – in a book! Twice, even! After Sylvanas fled the Horde, Genn began to consider that, actually, the Forsaken aren’t all that bad. Only Sylvanas is bad. But the player doesn’t really experience any of this, and they certainly never get their comeuppance in any way towards the Forsaken, who invaded their lands at their weakest point. Calia was introduced to tip the scales of this even further towards the opposite way, but the remainder of the Desolate Council is still composed of the same people that were in command when Gilneas was invaded.

The Reclamation

So with an unsolved grudge between the Worgen and the Forsaken that took their homes, we arrive at 10.2.5 with the reclamation of Gilneas. But rather than provide a closure of some sort to the legacy of Gilneas, the story instead take us to face… the Scarlet Crusade…?

It’s worth noting that the Scarlet Crusade isn’t without -some- ties to Gilneas – at the end of Shadowlands, propaganda pamphlets were distributed about how the Scarlet Brotherhood would attempt to work together with Genn to undermine the Forsaken, and once they were out of the picture, they would stab Genn in the back. A decent set up… that never sees a follow-up, nor is the story of the Reclamation in any way tied to these breadcrumbs of a story. Instead, the Scarlets are apparently only interested in vanquishing both Worgen and Forsaken outright, having amassed yet another army out of nowhere, even after being crushed by the Forsaken not so long ago in their Heritage questlines. I don’t know how else to describe this choice as anything other than mind boggling, given the fact that THEIR OWN SETUP for a story that would have followed up on the legacy of rivalry while still pitting them against a common enemy eventually was RIGHT THERE for the taking.

No, instead we arrive to Gilneas to find the Forsaken throwing BLIGHT at the city to combat the Scarlet Crusade, with nary a word being spoken about this by the Alliance forces. Why? When did the Alliance become tolerant of these methods, after being outraged by its use in Lordaeron? Who thought this was a good idea?

Calia is brought forward as though it provides some measure of comfort to the Forsaken being there, but Calia has always been a controversial character in the community. Her first act in power was the removal of the troops from Gilneas, despite even the characters manifesting hesitation about why she’d been selected to lead what is actually a council. It’s made even worse by the fact that, for once in this entire questline, Genn DOES have the appropriate reaction of mistrusting their presence, but is hushed by Mia, a character that barely existed so far, and Tess, whose brother had been killed in the Forsaken’s assault, regardless of who fired the arrow. She is simply readily willing to trust them. Again, it’s worth keeping in mind that the player, especially a worgen player, has had zero reasons to ever begin to question whether the forsaken armies were actually mere puppets of Sylvanas or not.

The questline is a big, uninspired mess from the intro onwards. There is no real sense that something is being recovered, and even the chance to call back to the worgen’s starting zone quests is ignored in favour of “Kill X scarlets to proceed” questlines. The writing is frankly infantile at best, but this is, unfortunately, a trend in Dragonflight.

When it finally concludes and Tess is made Queen, we don’t so much as see her again – much the same way we have barely seen her before then. Why? For what purpose has she been crowned, when she has exhibited zero traits worthy of leading a kingdom?

In the end, the Forsaken are hailed as this indispensable force without which the reclamation would not have been possible, even though we see with our own eyes that this is not the case. The forsaken do almost nothing to help, and the player is forced to accept that they are simply friends now. There is little to no implication of the opposite.

The Result

But the questline is only part of the problem. When the reclamation ends and Gilneas is back in the Worgens’ hands, we find Gilneas in… very much the state we left it in. Almost two decades will have gone by, and the city has remained static.

Some NPCs are sprinkled throughout the city, but for some reason, they are friendly to the Horde, who can simply waltz into this decidedly Alliance city, and make their home at the inn. Why? Could these NPCs not have been marked at least as Unfriendly towards a Horde player to show that this is not, in fact, their grounds? Is it a sign of the direction the narrative team intends to take the story, towards no factions, be it in gameplay or in story? Showing these small things goes a very, very long way for environmental storytelling, so if this is a deliberate choice, then I would urge the team to at least make this sort of thing clear.

It gets worse, then, because the reward, the fancy set of clothes, is either imported wrong to the game, resulting in only a flat onesie for clothes with poorly textured boots, or its design has been pushed to the lowest of priorities. It falls well beyond the standard set by the Amirdrassil questlines and rewards for the Night Elven players. In fact, everything surrounding the Reclamation does. It comes across as a footnote, a thing to get out of the way without a second thought. Why is it that every reward for Worgen players is a frilly suit, when their time is more often spent as, well, a worgen? Where are the ripped suits and clothes to demonstrate the ferocity of the curse, the sets inspired on the Bloodfang and the Sons of Arugal, or even the more moody, victorian coats just the same way Genn Greymane has them?

Gilneas has no flight point, no portal, no harbour, nothing beyond the minimum effort required to ship the questline as is. If this is meant for a future update, then I ask why isn’t this at least hinted at? I know a carrot on a stick can be a poor design choice, but when the track record for these sort of storylines that, of late, don’t involve the Night Elves, is this bad, you have to at least throw players a bone.

There’s a lot of “why’s” in this whole process. I would really like to ask the narrative team what their intention is going forward with this. Because any worgen player that will have followed the story thus far will come out of this unsatisfied, with no sense of recovering anything, and probably betrayed that they didn’t get to capitalise on the very thing that drove them out of Gilneas in the first place. The questline continues this trend from the Heritage questline of downplaying the curse as something truly awful, as if to make the player regret even being a worgen, when their success is derived from coexisting with the curse! I can’t even imagine the forsaken players will leave this feeling particularly pleased, because not only have lands been taken from them without so much as a word from a character many don’t particularly enjoy, they’ve also been forced to help their enemy in retaking it again! Where is the racial fantasy of this?

So to the narrative team, is the goal to remove these rivalries? Make the two factions blend together into some grey blob? Make the curse out to be an entirely negative trait of the Worgen? Because this questline has certainly succeeded in making it seem that way. There’s probably more I forgot to point out, because god knows there’s very little that was enjoyable in this, aside from the touch at the end with the special Gilneas Hearthstone for Worgen. Frankly, if the problem was time constraints, I’d rather have waited another five years than have dealt with this.

71 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. As someone who began their WoW history with a Worgen so so many years ago and them having one of the best starting zones (and even zone stories) in the game, this content fell so flat it hurts.

This is a reoccurring theme. Stop telling main story beats in books!. This is, first and foremost, a video game. You shouldn’t have to buy a book in order to understand the story.

I share the sentiment of all points made by OP. But here are some thoughts from me (that might be duplicates):

This quest chain should never have involved the Forsaken. This should have been a moment for the Gilnean people to retake their homelands, something that has been a core part of their story, agenda and focus since they were introduced. If any other race were to be involved, let it be Night Elves, who share a close bond with the Gilnean people both as their reintroduction to the Alliance but also through their shared stories throughout the years. I’d somewhat be fine with the 7th Legion assisting as well.

Mia Greymane, a character that’s been none-existant for 13 years, is reintroduced in this quest chain, for two whole quests. I guess that’s alright, she’s the queen of Gilneas so it seems totally resonable. Except she’s only there to hush Genn. Excuse me? What? Why? She could have been in charge of bringing back civilians from Stormwind, as an homage to her helping them to safety during the fall of Gilneas.

Jokes?!?. For some reason, there’s a lighthearted element to the entire quest chain, together with jokes. This is so out of place for this type of quest chain, we shouldn’t have to tell you this.

The length and quality of this quest chain is laughable. There are 12 quests, where one is a breadcrumb, two are cinematics and the rest are either basic kill or collect quests. If there was a lack of resources to actually do this, THEN DON’T DO IT. Considering the effort put into the Night Elf or Blue Dragonflight stories, this is beyond acceptable content to put out.

Genn begins the quest chain by saying “na fam, this thing I’ve wanted for 12 years, Tess and an undead rogue can do it for me.” Instead of leading the charge to reclaim his kingdom for his people, we’re left with what actually more seems like a covert operation than a retaking of Gilneas.

The cinematic between Genn and Tess is sweet but also strange. Is this really the place and time to change the monarch of your kingdom? It would have been much better to have Genn lead the rebuilding of Gilneas as a kingdom together with Tess, having her taking an ever-increasing role and then, in the end, hand the reins over.

And the cinematic with the “so-called” army that charges to take back Gilneas City are like 40 NPCs. Imagine this with a pan-over to see alliance siege tanks or glaive throwers closing in on the city, together with hundreds if not thousands of NPCs charging in together with Genn and the other Worgen leaders. This was supposed to be a grand thing.

I couldn’t end with a better summary/result than what OP did, but I would like to add:

1. This should have been on the PTR.
  2. This shouldn’t have been released at this state.
  3. Let someone who actually cares about the Worgen write their stories. Both this and the heritage quest chain clearly shows that it’s not the case.

But in the end, I honestly doubt there is anything Blizzard can do to save this. 13 years I’ve waited, only to be let down this bad.

38 Likes

Having just redone the Alliance version of retaking Undercity, there are some key pointers that I agree with from the OP.

In the retaking of Undercity questline, an alliance member is sent as a spy to see what is going on and to gain their trust to know more. Thusly the Alliance player is “Shapeshifted” into being that of an Undead. Only Calia and Dark Ranger Velanora state they know that the player is from the Alliance. Calia right from the start states “You will fit right in. And do not fear, I will not reveal you to the others here.” - Denoting that if the others were to know a member of the alliance was in there midst it might not be well.

This is a clear difference, as in this new questline Everyone now knows that Genn had an alliance spy aid the Forsaken in retaking undercity. Even though that was not his original intent. His original intent was to figure out what was going on… not to really have us aid them in retaking the city. The city the alliance besieged to take ownership of again and only lost, again, because of the blight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do feel like there could have been so much more to this quest. If Blizzard wanted the Horde to be able to partake in the events, they could have done exactly what they did for the retaking of Undercity. Have the Horde players be disguised.

I also believe that something better than the Scarlet Crusade could have been enacted. As stated above, it could have been something along the lines of Troops that were still loyal to Sylvannas refusing the order to retreat from Gilnean lands. Could have had an introductory cut scene or quest showing the order to retreat from the lands and then having a general be like “No. We fought over this land and won it fair and square for our lady sylvannas. We will hold this land.” or something.

It also doesn’t make much sense that, even with the Undead aid, having them launch more blight into the city. While, yes the Worgen would be immune to whatever effects the blight might have in regards to ressurecting them as undeath which, even that’s been kind of retconned into “You can only be rezzed by a Valkyr” which are very low in numbers/don’t exist Any other Alliance race is going to have to wait until the blight is cleared to be able to go to the city. Which would have also affected any other race that isn’t undead or worgen during the quest

I also agree that it doesn’t make much sense for King Greymane to just be like “Alright, I’m out. Here’s the Key’s. Have fun. Kthxbai Ima go over here now.” And the city should most definitely be unfriendly after the questline finishes if not hostile to any Horde members. Heck… I mean… It’s kinda just par for the course at this point but… We burned down an entire civiliations home and tree and they’re letting us into their new city too, and then with the Gilneans… We murdered lots of them, kicked them out of their home…they went to Darnassus… and then we burned that tree tot he ground too. So we did it to them twice. And we’re friendly? High-fiving? Hoo-haaing? Just saying that King Greymane, has every right to hate the Horde with every fiber of his being forever and every single Gilnean should honestly feel the same. And I’m Horde saying this.

P.S. We’ll burn the next tree too. Hehe

15 Likes

As to provide an example of how this could have played out (and more what I expected from the reclamation of Gilneas), here’s a patch-rundown on what I would have loved to see:

x.0.7: Reclamation of Gilneas: Preparations

The Alliance helps the Gilnean’s prepare to retake their homeland. Assist by collecting resources and materials to help in the preparations. This introduces new daily quests and hand-in quests which would grant reputation to Gilneas as well as a currency “Gilneas Commendation” which can be used to buy collectables (pets, transmog, mounts, toys). The patch also contains a storyline where Genn and Tess secure the Alliance help (recruit commanders from both Gilneas and other factions) and the discussion of war plans.

x.1.0: Reclamation of Gilneas: Securing a foothold

Together with the help of the Jaina and the Kul’Tiran navy, help Genn and Tess Greymane secure a foothold at the coast of Gilneas near Stormglen village. A proper dock will be built in order to land more reinforcements as well as open up naval connections to other major Alliance hubs. New storyline: Reconnaissance of Gilneas. Help Genn and his command scout Gilneas for how to best proceed with the assult. New dailies introduced: Help secure the foothold by building fortifications and clearing out nearby threats.

x.1.5: Reclamation of Gilneas: The retaking of Gilneas City

With the newly build fortification of Stormglen Village, the Alliance can properly land reinforcements and siege weapons to help in the retaking of Gilneas. Stormglen village has been updated to have fortification in Gilnean theme, together with several boats connecting it to Kul’Tiras, Wetlands and Stormwind. There is a large scenario-like story where the Gilnean army, together with 7th Legion, SI:7, Night Elves and Kul’Tiras retakes each district of the city. The end of the scenario plays out at the Light’s Dawn Cathedral where the threat is eliminated, and the city is under Alliance/Gilnean rule once more.

x.1.7: Reclamation of Gilneas: Prologue

With Gilneas City secured, we’re introduced to three prologue quest chains. One involves Mia Greymane helping civilians settle back into the areas that’s been secured by the Gilnean army (Stormglen Village, Tempest’s Reach and most of Gilneas City). The second one involves Tess pushing the invaders out of Gilneas and retaking Northrend Headlands, Northgate Woods and the Gate to Gilneas. Troops are positioned here to guard against any new or previous threats (cautious towards the Forsaken, as they should be). The third quest chain is Genn handing over the reins of the kingdom to Tess and instead serving Gilneas and the Alliance as a military advisor.

x.2.0 and beyond: Silverpine Forest

There is a truce between the Alliance and the Horde and with it, an agreement on which parts of Silverpine Forest belongs to whom. The Alliance are allowed to retake Shadowfang Keep, Pyrewood Village and Ambermill, with the Sepulcher and Deep Elem Mine serving as a Demilitarized/Neutral area between the Alliance and the Horde, who’ve established their foothold at Fenris Isle and the previous Forsaken Rear Guard/Forsaken High Command.

14 Likes

The reward has been hotfixed since the thread was posted.

However, the boots continue to do this, which some boots in Shadowlands also did, by overlapping the pants as well:

I would really, REALLY welcome an explanation as to why this whole questline and its rewards didn’t go on PTR. There was no major revelation, there was no major secret to hide. All of the feedback above, you’d probably have heard echoed on PTR if it had been available there. The way its contents were handled where narrative is concerned were a complete betrayal of the BARE MINIMUM expectations from people who were eagerly anticipating this event, and the SINGLE reward being shipped this broken raises a lot of questions. What was the point of including this event in this patch if it was going to be swept under the rug? Who was this written for?

23 Likes

The Tess thing is odd since the impression I got was she did not want to be a leader and rather help from the shadows. So it seems rather obtuse (but fitting in its own way) of Genn to suddenly dropping the responsibility on her after being sorry he focused on Liam more it gives the sense he truly does not understand his daughter. I hope that is reflected in her future story with in-game dialogue.

Another thing I dislike is Tess not being a worgen. It is so odd having the Worgen leader not be a worgen. Yes, technically it is Gilneans so in an in-story sense it makes sense but it just doesn’t feel right. Tess even expressed interest in becoming a Worgen before (before she got finger wagged for it).

19 Likes

I actually kinda liked sections of this questchain, for example returning to the vermin tunnel visited in a previous quest, but I will note that Im not much of a lore person,

really the only “issue” I have with it is one of the strangest bugs Ive ever encountered (which Ive already put a report in about)

right near the end of the questchain right as I was activating the mount to add it to my collection, one of my addons popped up in chat that I had completed a quest, which isn’t unusual in current content there is alot of tracker quests, but I clicked on it… and it was the tracker for using the Grimore of the plagued Observer, which is so incredibly odd,
especially since I was playing on a warrior, and I dont even have a warlock,
the wowhead page for the book that is meant to grant this ability has quite a few comments from other people confusedly wondering how they gained this without using the book

1 Like

Thinking further into this as the various communities began discussing the terrible handling of the questline and its lore, it remains baffling how certain decisions were made.

With Bel’ameth, a city introduced just a patch prior, the team had the presence of mind to mark most of the NPCs there as Neutral to the Horde – I would argue Hostile if engaged would have been more fitting, but Neutral or Unfriendly at least carries the point across without punishing any potential mishaps in using abilities. Either one is the bare minimum, and is fine, and the team clearly agreed, as they did that exact thing. In fact, an entirely for flavour debuff was added telling Horde players that they were being observed from the shadows.

So what changed in terms of decision making for Gilneas? Could the exact same treatment not have been been given here? All this does is further muddy the waters and make it even more confusing to understand what the state of affairs in the city is, a city that has for years been a topic of discussion regarding its current condition due to ambiguous information from quests, mission tables and even BOOKS.

The final moments of the questline are also very questionable, as they attempt to make it seem as if Liam’s death was attributed to the wall’s existence as well as attempting to recontextualize completely why the wall was built in the first place, with the consequence of making Genn out to be completely ignorant of what did happen later on.

The wall itself is a really interesting plot device, but the quest fails to even acknowledge that it did save the kingdom from the Scourge against all odds. Liam’s death, too, happened as a result of the Forsaken invasion, the very same Forsaken that the Worgen player is forced to work with and forced to accept as allies despite having little reason to do either one.

20 Likes

I agree with most of these points except the Forsaken resentment. I think the playerbase is ready to move on from baked in-resentment/prejudice towards other player races. We went through it (with the Forsaken, conveniently enough) and the Horde by proxy after Teldrassil.

Especially in the RP sphere, where its hard enough to reconcile your character’s race/faction being involved in something heinous that they had no agency over.

A portion of the playerbase wants to move on from baked-in tension. And I say this as a Night Elf RP main.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree that being able to move on from resentment would be a good thing, but it needs to be done properly, which in this case it wasn’t. I don’t believe Worgen and Forsaken will or should ever see eye to eye, but leaving each other alone so long as they aren’t disturbed isn’t inconceivable with the Forsaken using Gilneas as the tribute to broker some peace. It’s not my preferred state of affairs, but I realize that a permanent state of tension isn’t as interesting to everyone. A middleground that satisfies both parts is achievable though, I think.

The trouble is that Worgen are not at all eased into this. The mutual story of their rivalry right now is continuing after it peaked in Stormheim and then even all of Battle for Azeroth - that’s how long it’s been since this was approached, to now be met with zero reason to trust the Forsaken with what they are doing. Genn’s opinion of the Forsaken shifted in a book, and the players are apparently supposed to simply agree with this. It comes across as being a bit of a punching bag rather than anything satisfying – as a night elf player, you’re surely aware of how long it took them to fulfill the story of recovering from Teldrassil. Worgen lost their home in Gilneas and then also Teldrassil, but got none of the elaborate storytelling that the Night Elves (rightfully) got.

Instead of a more interesting position of mutual distrust, the questline of the Reclamation instead implies there is nothing. There was no process, and the story is poorer for it. Gilneas was recovered in an afternoon.

10 Likes

Better than a vague truce being called post-BFA and things being swept under the rug after the Kaldorei home was burnt to the ground. The wounds are still pretty fresh, and its just assumed we should all hold hands and work against [current world threatening calamity].

The Gilneans have a legit grudge, and I am not trying to diminish it. But there are other similar cases all over the wow-verse.

2 Likes

There are, and I would say in this case, it’s simply a matter of “now it’s our turn to suffer it I guess” haha

It’s very sad that I’ve seen plenty of people say that they would rather the city just stayed in its unknown state, or that they are very concerned any time their race gets the spotlight recently because the lore developments are likely to hurt more than actually build. Cases like the one you said, with a vague truce that isn’t at all addressed for the kaldorei until Tyrande returns with developments nobody would possibly know about.

This isn’t a sustainable way to evolve your world’s lore, and even without being a draenei or troll player I already feel a little “anxious” for what they might get in their heritage.

6 Likes

At this point I’m just waiting for the “WELCOME ALL TO QUEL’THALAS” banner that’ll be displayed in the Blood Elf capital come Midnight.

2 Likes

The theme of the next expansion(s?) seem to be about introspection and moving on from trauma and such. I think this was their attempt at addressing some of that.

You may not personally agree with it, and you may be way more personally invested in it than most, but that’s the direction they’re going with everything.

It’s like I said, I completely agree with approaching that sort of topic - and moving in that direction overall for a bit - because an everlasting conflict would and does grow extremely stale. But it has to be done properly, because if not to bring some sort of catharsis to those enjoying the story, then what’s the point of approaching them to begin with?

My point of contention is simply that this attempt was very poorly executed, and the fact that the result was so messy, with poor writing, a broken cosmetic set and a city once more in a bit of a limbo isn’t an assurance. Overall, a terrible conclusion to what they knew was a highly anticipated event.

I do dread that, but the gears are probably already in motion for that one :pensive:

7 Likes

I agree that the questline is a disaster, but I am sorry to say, isn’t that the case with most of DF lore and questlines??
Like I am disappointed even on the main campaign and most of questlines this expansion.
Might be me making a comparison between DF and the past questlines and lore but, it’s unavoidable.

1 Like

I quite enjoyed the Blue Dragonflight quest chain, most if not all of Azure Span and Ohn’ahran Plains, plus the 10.2 story. For me, it’s been a wee bit too soft in the touch (like “everyone has to be friends”) which doesn’t work for me in a game where one of the major points is war and faction conflict, but it’s been alright overall.

10.1 and Gilneas has to be an all-time low though, together with the main story of SL and 7.3

1 Like

I agree on that, hence I said most of the questlines were bad. There were a few exceptions, especially the Blue Dragonflight one, mainly though because they were tightly connected to past events.

1 Like