The Curious case of Wolfenstein, AV and Player Perception

Kinda falls apart when we are playing TWO FUNCTIONALLY DIFFERENT MAPS with vastly different racials.
Good try though, super rich from an UD rogue.

4 Likes

Will of the forsaken is only usable by undead and it has a cooldown when it pops.

1 Like

Yeah not sure where this dummy got any likes at all from.

I guess if you want to ignore the facts about AV thereā€™s no help for people. :man_shrugging:

But that map didnā€™t have an issue from 1.12-2.2 for ally dominating the BG.

It didnā€™t take long for the ā€œnothing you says matters because youā€™re an undead rogueā€ comment to come. Bonus points from it being from a retail alt to hide behind.

2 Likes

No it isnā€™t, this is a specious argument.

You will MAYBE have ONE dwarf priest in an AV every once in awhile.

Ultimately, those who want to believe their loss is a foregone conclusion canā€™t be convinced. Those who want to believe there is a way to get some wins will keep trying, and some will win. Some DO win. But guess who is loudest and making the biggest ongoing perception? The ones who lose and keep losing.

Iā€™m curious about the change in Wolfenstein. People who develop superstitious certainty donā€™t immediately accept evidence to the contrary.

Just imagine Blizzard posting win/loss ratios that showed Alliance can and does win AV. Alliance players wouldnā€™t suddenly shift their perception. Instead, both Alliance and Horde players would claim those numbers were fake, false. Players post threads saying they won as Alliance, and because it doesnā€™t match, it is rejected as a fluke or a lie.

2 Likes

Great analogy and great game ET was. I used to run servers for it and had lots of folks playing 24/7. Best free game ever.

2 Likes

lets not pretend that pvp wasnt played in a fundamentally different way back then by patch 1.12. the gear disparity alone at that point was immense, a group of naxx geared raiders could easily roll through all objectives with little pushback, and alliance as a whole was MUCH more progressed pve wise than the average horde guild (you only need to look at the list of naxx-clearing guilds to see that).

i did it myself, with my t3 set bonus as a warlock i could literally stand in a tower and put a tab dot single corruptions on anyone who walked past me and easily kill 2/3rds of the people i encountered with zero effort. The gear disparity was that strong. Its much less right now.

Later in the video, it says people still believe to this day that the MP40 is still the inferior gun. There are some people who will never change their minds, no matter how much evidence you put before them.

2 Likes

In a disorganized pug, wotf will be better than fear ward a vast majority of the time. Even if you are lucky enough to have multiple dwarf priests, it is rare for any large number of people to get a single fear ward, let alone one every couple minutes.

As for perception I actually doubt it matters that much. Alliance absolutely stomped horde for the first week of AV and it was apparently common for horde to buy into the mindset of ā€œlet them win and get what honor we can before they do soā€. Despite this the BG was turned around quickly even before premading became a huge issue for alliance pugs.

There are a ton of possible factors and the losing mindset/perception may be one of them, but I doubt it is anywhere near the biggest problem.

I think the perception that ā€œAlliance are going to lose, therefor its okay for me to /afk or fish or hide in the DB stablesā€ is causing a measurable impact on game quality.

Lol what pug priest do you think is actually fear warding his whole raid over and over? What a dumb comment. Also only dwarf priests get it. Every undead of any class has wotf

1 Like

One of the limitation of WF is that it works within a party. over 90% of my AVs I have to organize the shamans in groups so they can give WF out to warriors, otherwise shaman totems in AV are wet paperbags. Meanwhile paladins can bless anyone outside their groups. And shadow prot + shadow resist aura is an actual nightmare for horde warlocks.

Lol

Lol? Locks, Mages, Priests, and Rogues you mean? I bet majority of AV matches are 60% undead or higher.

So your arguement is MAYBE 3 fear wards > 25+ players being able to break out of fear at will?

My argument is, people can manage to think themselves into really losing even when theyā€™re not really at a disadvantage.

BUT there is a disadvantage. I am not disagreeing with your point but it is not the whole story.

The advantage/disadvantage is debatableā€¦as you can see this thread devolved into that instead of staying on topic. The state of group PvP, especially coordinated group PvP is a lot more nuanced than ā€œForsaken are hard to fear, that is why they win 100% of AV.ā€

What is real is that the Alliance really believe theyā€™re at a disadvantage, and are no longer putting in effort.

No sirā€¦ I clearly stated (more than once) that my arguement regarding fear, is just one of the factors involved. There are obviously quite a number of factors involved in any pvp situation. Skill, gear, class compositon, communication, terrain etcā€¦ I was just pointing out a very large factor that is involved in a 40v40 random match like AV. Being able to fear people far into your own raid and slaughter them is a huge advantage. Also being able to have half your raid instantly break out of fear is a huge advantage. I never once stated that racials are THE reason we are losing AV, but just one of the factors involved. You made a post pretty much stating that our defeatest attitude is THE reason why we are losing. I will grant you that it is A reason, but not the ONLY reason.