The burning of Teldrassil doesnt make sense

How does like 10 demolishers from miles away reach Teldrassil and also burn a tree the size of a zone that fast. They probably couldve tried to combat the flame with like a bunch of Frost mages since it would take longer to burn the tree.

I would retcon it to make more sense. Maybe make it so Airships attacked Teldrassil. Maybe they used some powerful Goblin bombs too.

3 Likes

Well, Blizzard was at the height of the rule of cool. Around the time, GOT was in its 8th season. So they definitely leaned in.

18 Likes

You could write a book covering other mediums attempts to copy the Red Wedding from GoT and where they went wrong, why it was a mistake to even try, and explain how each writing team clearly missed the entire point and intent of the infamous scene. Martin even did a blogpost about it and people STILL keep touching that electric fence.

Almost every attempt to copy the red wedding in another setting has blown up in the writer or directors face and angered fans. Its actually kind of impressive that people keep trying to make it work without learning from all the failure.

16 Likes

Wasn’t there a rumor that the writing team didn’t know about Teldrassil’s destruction while working on the battle for Undercity, Zandalar, and Kul’tiras? :thinking:

2 Likes

They were magical catapults with impressive long range.

I wouldnt be surprised. If I remember right, the last thing Metzan worked on was battle for Undercity and he was also unaware that Teldrassil was going to happen. You kinda see it in the cinematic too. A very Horde positive view from Sylvanas and Saurfang, Genn looking for blood, just a cluster of narrative disunity and abusers at the top.

10 Likes

Perhaps there was the slightest hint of foreshadowing in Legion :

Sylvanas : “The new catapults are faster and more powerful than ever before. I have our Goblin allies to thank for that.”

There was even a moment before Teldrassil that Saurfang stated he would split Sylvanas if she tried to harm the horde or hostage situation. Perhaps they thought Sylvanas wasn’t involved in anything devasting as long as Saurfang had her back.

After she did both, Saurfang did nothing.

3 Likes

That sounds interesting. Got a link?

I have heard this as well, Alliance was suppose to attack the undercity first with Genn, Jaina and few other in the alliance wanting war but narrative was changed.

3 Likes

I’ll give a little bit to the goblins for figuring out how to really pack a punch, even if it explodes in their face and is held together by knock off duct tape and elmers glue, but we’re talking max ranges of just over a quarter mile for a top end catapult. A 19th century canon could hardly reach a mile. Not until after the industrial revolution do we see canons start hitting a mile plus. Takes a modern howitzer to hit 20 miles.

Now if you told me, or rewrote Teldrassil, that a howitzer barrage using Azerite gun powder in a thorium/saronite/insert super strong metal here reinforced barrel really did it in, I could believe it. But thats not what we got. We had super average demolishers flinging normal rocks, miles across the sea, into a water logged tree, that shaman and mages help egg on (I’ll give em the shaman thing, clever). But then also raises the question - can shaman and mages control fire from miles away? Im not even asking for 5 or 10 miles away, but even if just 1 or 2. Can a shaman just be a walking howitzer when they need to be? No way Teldrassil is only 40 yards away!

Not to mention that he who shall not be named at Blizzcon went ‘We’re gonna fire that cannon’ - referencing the Bildgewater canon that we’ve all been waiting to fire (and then likely crater the whole place) which also would have been far more believable than some catapults at the shoreline.

4 Likes

It’s actually worse than you think. The Horde used shamans and druids to accelerate the fire and make the burning of Teldrassil irreversible. Furthermore the Horde shamans also summoned fire elemental lords in Ashenvale and burned the whole place down, this is not shown ingame.

Never underestimate Blizzard’s ability to turn the Horde into cartoonish villains.

7 Likes

That might be what Rexxar urged against Jania in Stormsong.

ya, what he said in stromsong was very odd. It would also explain why he was even involved in the war.

3 Likes

I heard Stormsong went through a rewrite last minute, as Brennadam wasn’t originally even suppose to involve the horde but the Quilboar or some such. It looks like they added Rexxar last minute and simply forgot to include the alliance side of it

9 Likes

Shamans and azerite…that and the volatile nature of the Tree’s own magic.

1 Like

they could’ve used the gobbo cannon.

1 Like

The whole thing was FUBAR. There were always plenty of plot holes and it just looks stupid. Catapults destroyed Teldrassil? Really? From across the sea? Meanwhile in Wintergrasp we’ve been using steampunk battle-tanks since WOTLK.

The whole thing felt like it was made by a group of writers that don’t like Warcraft, wish they could make their own story, and wanted to get to that story in the most rushed, nonsensical, destructive way possible.

14 Likes

The burning tree was a gripping image.

That’s it. That’s all there was to the Burning. It looked amazing.

Blizzard rushed to toss together an excuse to reach that image, and kept slopping on half-hearted followups because guess what - the emotions stirred by that gripping story stayed with players for more than the first patch, much to their surprise. Who knew that people who jumped into the story because they cared about that captivating a beginning would want a matchingly spellbinding ending? Not Blizzard, apparently.

I was not too positive about the concept when I first heard it, but I’m willing to go through a low point in the story so that the following high point feels good. But there was no follow-through. Two expansions - several years! - of stringing along (even giving the benefit of the doubt that this was the planned resolution and the huge benefit of the repeatedly-proven-right doubt that this resolution will be anywhere near the level of impact of the Burning) is far too long for this sort of story.

For something this major, like this one that the writers themselves oh-so-wisely labelled as genocide, the afflicted party needs to know what the next step on this plot they’re taking is - not getting bundled off to Kul Tiras’ by-necessity slow .0 questing experience. Even something so minor as having the Darkshore-Warfront-style resource turn in starting immediately after the Burning quest would have drastically alleviated the response, because it lets the player know what the night elves are doing next - thus ending the chapter on a middle note rather than leaving the night elf story wallowing in tragedy while cutting to an entirely different Kul Tiran story like the live game did.

The Night Warrior arc is its own mess that I don’t want to spend time getting into again. And I’m not holding my breath for this seed plot to do anything more than shove night elves into the screen again without actually addressing any of the thematic issues created by the Burning plot.

19 Likes

the strongest magic in WoW… Plot Magic.

12 Likes