The Best Wild-Caught Pets

For the sake of newcomers to pet battles, I thought we should talk about the many valuable pets that are wild caught. The reason being is that there seems to be a misconception that captured pets are somehow less valuable or useful. Someone recently described a wild caught pet (Electrified Razortooth) as a good pet, despite being a “generic” wild-caught pet.

It would be pointless to deny that there are many valuable pets that can be traded (like Ikky, Anubisath Idol, MPD, etc.), but to dismiss wild-caught pets as “generic” and suggest they are less valuable than tradeable pets is a huge mistake.

So, I’m trying to compile a list of all the best pets that can only be captured in the wild. So, if anyone wants to help and make recommendations to add to this list, please jump in. I don’t claim to know everything about pet collecting, and I might have missed some good ones.

1. Unborn Val’kyr: This is without a doubt, the most valuable wild-caught pet. She is the only pet in the game that has both Curse of Doom and Haunt on separate slots so you can use both.

Haunt is great because it’s essentially a free swap. Ordinarily, when you swap pets, your opponent gets a free shot at you, because swapping is a turn. But because Haunt effectively kills the pet, your opponent doesn’t get the free shot.

2. Nexus Whelpling: Like Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is the bane of Magical pets, Nexus Whelpling is the bane of Flying pets. Since he’s a dragon, he takes less damage from Flying attacks, and since he has a devastating Magical attack combo, he does extra damage against Flying pets. But make no mistake. His combo is effective against lots of things besides just Flying pets.

3. Emperor Crab: Because of this pet’s ability to heal itself, mitigate damage, and with an attack that always goes first, this pet could take down just about anything that can’t heal itself. However, because you need to maintain the heals and the Shell Shield, it might take a while, but it will get the job done.

This pet comes in two breeds: P/P and H/H. I know from experience that there are fanatic pet collectors who will insist that you must, must, must use P/P. And they’re rather vehement about this. Think Faye Dunaway in “Mommy Dearest.” It’s that level of vehemence.

"NOOOO! H/H! EMPEROR CRAB! EVERRRRRR!"

I will admit that 19 times out of 20, P/P is the more useful choice. However, I did once have a situation in which H/H was the better option. I was fighting a boss that did extensive backline damage. I wanted to try to do it myself before resorting to look up strats on Xu-Fu. I picked my champion to take this guy down, and held two Emperor Crabs in reserve, because I knew they could take down just about anything.

While neither Crab died, by the time I was able to bring one of them in, I knew P/P would not survive. Both crabs are slow. There was no way I could have gotten my shield up, and started the healing before the boss killed P/P. So, H/H it was.

So, I would say, if you collect three, at least two, if not all three, should be P/P.

4. Snails: Snails, in general, are giant bags of health that can protect themselves, and can unleash a devastating attack upon Elemental pets. In addition, they are a viable strat to use against Chi-Chi in the Celestial Tournament.

Although technically, they are not just wild caught, since Scooter the Snail is tradable.

5. Rabbits: Rabbits/Hares are awesome pets, particularly against the Undead. With the right combination of abilities, Rabbits can spend the bulk of their time being unattackable.

Although, like the Snails above, they are not technically just wild-caught, as Spring Rabbit (the definitive generic rabbit) is tradable. Noblegarden Bunny, too, but that’s not a generic rabbit.

So, anyone else want to add some wild-caught pets that you would consider indispensable?

5 Likes

I’d probably add Emerald Proto-Whelp, virtually unkillable and a great backstop for “wait it out” fights.

Chitterspine Skitterling and Infected Squirrel are also both very useful mostly for things like Family achieves because they bring powerful moves from one family over to another.

Kun-Lai Runt and Flayer Youngling are both very handy, to some extent they are variations on the Anubisath but they offer other move combos that again you don’t normally get from humanoids.

6 Likes

Good choice. And the Dream Whelpling is a good sub for him.

I like to use pets like that as my “clean-up crew.” If you’re fighting a boss pet that has backups, like in the dungeons or New Tanaan, he’s a good choice to kill the backups.

I know what you mean. The Flock and Stampede moves are great, but restricted to certain pet families. Those two bring Flock/Stampede to Aquatic and Undead. (Although Gulp Froglet also served that purpose . . . if you could get one, and in the right breed.)

Should probably add roaches to the mix, since bugs are the only one who have Apocalypse.

2 Likes

I will add one addition per pet family (+1 runner up), though there are many, many, many wild-caught pets which are really useful and strong! This is just my own sampling of pets which haven’t been mentioned yet.

Humanoid - Stunted Yeti! This humanoid can be found in Feralas, and only comes in one breed. It hard counters Critter types! Many overlook the Stunted Yeti due to it’s relatively basic stats, nature, and moves, but don’t let that fool you, even basic pets like Stunted Yeti can win you many battles and be very useful!
Runner Up - Sporeling Sprout (incredible pet with fantastic typing, breeds, and moveset!)

Dragon - Nether Faerie Dragon! This dragon is an incredible pick-up. It hard counters Flying types! They can be found in Feralas near Dire Maul. I would advise picking up 3 of these, 2 S/S breeds and 1 H/P breed, or your choice, as it comes in many varieties.
Runner Up - Spawn of Onyxia (pure Dragon power!)

Flying - Caw Caw, it’s the Crow! This flyer is great to have, boasting great breed/stats and Call Darkness/Nocturnal Strike Moveset! The downside to these is you can only find them and capture them when the Darkmoon Faire is active. But next time it’s up, go catch yourself 3 of these, you won’t be disappointed!
Runner Up - Honey Bee (Don’t mess with the Honey Bees!)

Undead - Infested Bear Cub! This cute lil guy is a real TANK! Being Undead, boasting the H/H and H/P breeds, along with a fantastic moveset. Most battles can be won simply by utilizing your supreme bulk and power to outgun and outlast any opposition. Pick 3 of these up asap!
Runner Up - Scourged Whelpling (Undead, Call Darkness, Dreadful Breath, high health and power, what more could you want?)

Critter - I gotta go with the Black Lamb from Elwynn Forest! Not only is it super cute and one of the only lamb pet models, you can get it so early on and it won’t fail you! I prefer the H/P breed myself, but it comes in many useful varieties, and has a standard yet strong Critter moveset.
Runner Up - Frostfur Rat (Call Darkness, Crouch/Refuge, Sneak Attack, S/S, P/P, and H/H breeds…powerful!)

Magic - Jade Oozeling! This little guy is one of the original “power pets” back when, and is still great to this day! (But gets overshadowed now by things like Anomalus). Found in The Hinterlands, I like the P/P breed for this one, as it maximizes its power, which is a good thing for this pet, as it has an incredible combination of moves in Acidic Goo, Corrosion, and Absorb for massive damage and sustain (it also has moves like Creeping Ooze and Expunge, if needed). Overall an extremely solid pet which deserves to be mentioned here, it will help you so many times!
Runner Up - Minfernal (This thing is just plain cool! er, hot!)

Elemental - Fel Flame of course! This is one of the first (and best!) elementals you will want to get for your collection! It comes in assorted breed types, all of which are good and have use, and it has a killer elemental moveset you won’t be able to complain about. Capture 3 of these (I use one of each breed type) and burn some stuff down!
Runner Up - Lava Crab (It’s an Elemental…Crab!)

Beast - Diemetradon Hatchling, no question! Go to Un’Goro, and capture 3 of this pet in P/P breed and never look back! With Quick Attack, Triple Snap, and Beast Racial, this pet is soooo good, and definitely one of my favorites! It should be yours too!
Runner Up - Little Black Ram (So cute…and powerful!)

Aquatic - Fleeting Frog! From Mechagon, these frogs stand out because of their stats/breeds. These are Fast Frogs! Nothing too fancy about them otherwise, but still a valuable piece for any collection!
Runner Up - Hermit Crab (Just Plain Great! And easy to get!)

Mechanical - Cogblade Raptor! From Blades Edge Mountains, these things are Fast! I use the S/S breed, but a case could be made for the others as well. Between Exposed Wounds and Batter (at such a high speed), and Screech or Overtune in case you weren’t already fast enough, this guy will help you out many times. Get 3 asap!
Runner Up - Anodized Robo Cub (An H/P Monster Mech! If you want to go for some 50/50’s with Supercharge + Demolish, that is…)

There you have it! As I said at the beginning, there are so, so, so many more pets out there that are worthy of being sought after and captured! Get out there and good luck!

Love,
Grandmamama

4 Likes

Oops, meant to post with this Grandmamama! Oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

Also for Beasts, I forgot to mention one of my favorites and all time powerful pets, the S/S Rose Taipan! With Vicious Fang, Crouch, Blinding Poison, and 341 speed, It will take you far!

And one more for the Undead category is the H/H Spirit Crab! Totally awesome stats, moves, and type make for a totally awesome pet!

Oh yeah, and Tiny Harvester from Westfall is a fantastic mech! H/H, P/P, and S/S are all viable.

One more tip! If you are newer to pet battling or building up your collection and want ONE place to go to get a lot of really great ones? It would be Zereth Mortis, from Shadowlands. So if you have the ability to go there, definitely check it out for pets! Shadowlands in general has a lot of great wild pets, plus it has up to 5 good pet quests every day!

1 Like

First, thank you very much. I noticed there was a newcomer to pet collecting who made the assumption that wild-caught pets are “generic,” essentially dismissing them as unimportant. As if the only good pets are the tradeable and quested ones. I don’t dispute that there are some truly awesome pets that are tradable. Zandalari Kneebiter, Ikky, Iron Starlette and others, but there are plenty of invaluable pets that are wild-caught, too.

But there are also some pets that I would consider truly indispensable that are only caught in the wild. Nothing is stronger against a flyer than a P/P Nexus Whelpling. With its combination of Arcane Storm and Mana Surge, it’s truly devastating. Plus, it’s a Dragon, so it takes less damage from Flying attacks.

And whose collection would be complete without Unborn Val’kyr, the only pet in the game that can use both Curse of Doom and Haunt in one battle as it is the only pet that has both abilities and on separate slots?

Emperor Crab, Snails, Rabbits, Roaches, etc.

I still remember my days of still trying to catch my first one. Ugh, the stories I collected. I had no idea what Unholy Ascension did, so when I finally engaged my first Unborn Val’kyr, certain I would capture it, imagine my dismay when the thing committed suicide with Unholy Ascension.

It’s funny, but while I love my S/S Rose Taipan, I use it entirely differently than you. I love to open with Blinding Poison, then follow with Puncture Wound. As Blinding Poison is considered to have poisoned the opponent, Puncture Wound does double damage. Then I finish off with one or two rounds of Vicious Fang. In fighting pet tamers, I can usually kill their first two pets with this combo.

I especially like your choice of Nether Faerie Dragon. If you don’t have the ever-elusive Sprite Darter Hatchling, this one makes a better than fair substitute.

2 Likes

You’re completely right! There are so many valuable wild pets out there, the list is long! Of course with Summer coming up sorta soon, I’d also mention the Qiraji Guardling pet! S/S I think is best, with Crush, Sandstorm, and Blackout Kick, and Humanoid racial, super valuable pet to have!

I think that use of Rose Taipan is definitely just as good as the Crouch version if not better. I just love the super defensive setup and initiative and time to use Beast Racial and power up Vicious Fang that Crouch in between Blindings provides.

Thanks! Yeah, I learned about Sprite Darter Hatchling too late (though I do remember having one back from the quest…maybe I sold it), I tried farming it forever, gave up and eventually bought it for a good price at AH. Nether Faerie is definitely a great substitute and pet in its own right too!

1 Like

You know, I had two Diemetradon Hatchlings, but neither were P/P, so I went back to look for one. I only saw two or three up and when I captured them, none of them were P/P. I also never saw one as a backup pet for the other capturable pets there.

After consulting Wowhead, I saw that these pets just accompany the larger Diemetradons, and killing them will cause them to respawn within a few minutes and some will have the pets accompanying them.

I killed them all, and soon I had respawns, several of which had accompanying pets. So, the commenter on Wowhead was right.

I then caught three P/P in a row. Take from that what you will. It could have just been a remarkable coincidence.

Just finding one in the wild was a royal Pita too…esp when catching wild ones first went live…

I have used the water strider pets as well. Mirror Strider? Plus some of the crab guys are pretty tanky. Everything else I can think of off the top of my head is mentioned above.

I do like the Cornish Rex kitty tho. it isn’t a wild pet, you can buy it from the cat lady in Elwynn Forest. High health for a Beast pet and Devour? (I think) heals if you kill the enemy pet with it.

This is fantastic, adding all of these I don’t have to my capture list.

People who were new to pet collecting had to start somewhere. And the Cornish Rex Kitty was a godsend. He’s a strong pet who was able to allow the pet collector to get even stronger pets.

That was the point of the thread. Entire collections are just tradeable pets, and not a single wild-caught pet is among them. As if Wild Caught pets were just useless.

Recently, I did this month’s pet challenge for the Trading Post. One of which was to defeat two tamers on Dragon Isles using Dragonkin pets.

I didn’t know much about them yet, to really know what I should use. But I flew to one of them and discovered it was a Flying pet. Gee, what Dragonkin pet will I use to take down a flyer? As if the answer wasn’t obvious.

I loaded up three Nexus Whelplings, a wild-caught pet that is probably the most powerful anti-Flying pet in the game, and I didn’t even have to bring out my second or third one.

EDIT: For those that are having trouble getting the Twilight Clutch Sister to drop, Twilight Whelpling is a good substitute.

I just added 14 more pets to level up to 25 next Squirt day !

Need 8 or 10 more Rare stones too now though.

You’re in luck, rare stone daily today, right outside Val!

1 Like

There are 4 rare stone WQs up today: Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Drustvar x 2, & Thaldraszus

2 Likes

So, in reading this list, so far, we’ve come with:

1. Unborn Val’kyr
  2. Nexus Whelpling
  3. Emperor Crab
  4. Snails
  5. Rabbits
  6. Emerald Proto-Whelp (Dream Whelpling a viable substitute)
  7. Chitterspine Skitterling
  8. Infected Squirrel
  9. Roaches
  10. Stunted Yeti
  11. Sporeling Sprout
  12. Spawn of Onyxia
  13. Crow
  14. Honey Bee
  15. Infested Bear Cub
  16. Scourged Whelpling
  17. Black Lamb
  18. Frostfur Rat
  19. Jade Oozeling
  20. Minfernal
  21. Fel Flame
  22. Lava Crab
  23. Fleeting Frog
  24. Hermit Crab
  25. Cogblade Raptor
  26. Andodized Robo-Cub
  27. S/S Rose Tiapan
  28. Spirit Crab
  29. Tiny Harvester
  30. Qiraji Guardling
  31. P/P Diametradon Hatchling
  32. Little Black Ram
  33. Water Striders
  34. Twilight Whelpling (Good substitute for the Twilight Clutch Sister.)

So, to those new to pet battling, who are dismissive of wild caught pets, these are our recommendations for some valuable wild caught pets.

And there may be some new additions. So, please do not dismiss wild-caught pets and think that the only good pets are those you can find by periling the depths and dangers of the Auction House. The good pets are out there. So, get out there and throw a cage.

2 Likes

I would add frogs to snails and rabbits. I use them a LOT in the pet battle dungeon challenges.

1 Like

Nether faerie Dragon is a great one as well.

2 Likes

Need Ikky…at least one or if not two of them…

No disputing that Ikky is a valuable pet. Arguably the best pet in the game. He pairs up supremely well with pets like Boneshard and Unborn Val’kyr, and he also does quite well on his own.

And yes, I have three of them. Because I still like to do dungeons, and Ikky is a viable strat in several fights in some of the dungeons. Got to have more than one to keep from having to log out and log into a toon with bandages.

But Ikky is a quested pet. I wanted to make this discussion about wild-caught pets because some people seem to think that the only good ones are tradeable ones, dismissing wild-caught pets as “generic.”

1 Like