The Balance of Story, Gameplay, and In-Game Balance

Story drives the game. Gameplay should both convey and drive the story.

If the story were a single, relatable and both playable and fun metastory, new players wouldn’t quit in droves because the story quite literally makes no sense between start in either Vanilla or the Broken Shore, which is a mistake to have put in game.

Gameplay

You want proof Blizzard doesn’t care about its customers? They haven’t yet done a balance pass to bring all classes to equal footing DPS wise, they have never done a pass to equalize gear at each item level and to make the jumps between item levels balanced nor sensible, and they’ve never actually made sure that the in game performance of said race, class, spec, gear and individual customizations are all equal at each level and each step. Then just do simple x2, x3, x4, etc., for improving item quality, greens x1, blues x2, purps x3, etc.

Imagine it. Each race has equal yet different performance. Equal DPS for each class and spec baseline, and then gear is predictable to be baseline at each item level, and then players can overstat with their own choice, pushing towards diminishing returns on stats like Mastery, Haste, and Crit, and then Versatility would no longer be a hated dump stat.

And this would be able to be constantly set at each item level, and then for each item quality.

In game balance is doable, it just takes a real understanding of how to math and spreadsheet out into the game’s own tables itself a balance pass that sets these values fairly.

Instead, all Blizzard does is type arbitrary values and then swing the pendulum so far to one side the next time they do a “balance” pass is shove it as far the other way as they can instead of doing their jobs and trying to actually set it where they have an objectively balanced game and then build on top of that long term.

The story is literally boring and not conveyed in a way that invests the audience into the narrative effort presented in game. Not a single story point nor drop of content should be available outside of the game that is not also available in game.

New player retention is quite possibly the single greatest sign of both a healthy game and community.

… There are so few new players joining WoW that I’m pretty sure Blizzard is trying to ask themselves how to add more.

My idea and answer? Blizzard needs to create a metastory for WoW from Vanilla to Shadowlands and make sure that the player gets to play said story and also interact with it.

In-game Balance will drive subscriptions up.

I realize Blizzard considers, “Gameplay First.” their greatest statement on WoW.

I’m going to say this: “Story Driven Interactive Gameplay” might just result in more customers overall as well as more new customers over time.

Show, don’t tell. It’s an old statement. Well, for MMO’s, it looks to me like an interactive story driven story that one PLAYS and has fun with as a character is more memorable, and also, by having a metastory that the player never loses track of and that the game treats the player like a participant and person both from and on Azeroth should help.

Blizzard.

You want to gain, retain, and entertain customers to revitalize WoW?

Please create a Story that is never left unfinished.

Please actually Balance WoW. All races, classes, specs, item levels and item qualities being objectively and mathematically balanced equally at each cross section will end the unceasingly endless balance pendulum swings and result in a game that is easy and possibly fun for you to add to and upgrade.

Please consider gameplay and an interactive, playable, and relatably fun story to be one and the same.

Both new and old player retention starts and ends with the first impression people get and have about your game. If WoW is polished, balanced, fun to play, gameplay and story both drive each other, and gear makes sense and is balanced around the bare minimums of being hit capped, anything past that if designed right will reward players that want to hard stack stats like Crit and Haste, while also resulting in stats like Versatility not being hated.

I figure most of you think I hate WoW.

No, I hate that WoW is not even bothering to chase its own amazingly expansive potential.

WoW started in 2004.

For the love of WoW, it’s 2021, and the game STILL has exactly ONE and only one lore tree!

I’ve made many threads over the years.

Above all, Blizzard, YOU should be as a company Azeroth’s biggest fan.

Right now, you’re not.

Please fix.

I hope the rise in competition of other mmorpg titles increases the quality somewhat.

So much potential. They should keep it simple - Kill a big dragon, get loot from said dragon. Now all the unique mount models drop off the credit card boss. So immersive.

It feels like, I mean it’s very obvious that the current devs don’t play the game. There is no chance that they play it in the state it’s in and say “this beats everything we’ve done”. Now, I think they know this, but Bobby doesn’t provide the budget or the current team is incapable of reading Alpha/Beta tests logs. … Or both.

I sometimes have to stop and say… this is a subscription based game? It isn’t closely treated like it. I think the box price was good, had some good fun for the first month of SL, but to have a sub cost and an in game shop is just awful in it’s current state. (And by current state I mean the last 6 years, besides that 1-2 good legion patches)

2004 version of the game had way better design principals. Now it’s a ‘Hands inside the vehicle at all times’ kinda feeling. Class abilities feel more satisfying to use in retail but feel less impactful. I want classic + but I know under the current team it would have the shop and some ‘system’.

2 Likes

To someone who was brought to the game by the story of the Night Elves reading their lore in Hearthstone cards. Imagine my face when I came here and read their post Warcraft 3 story. :sob:

Luckily the story had been good regardless. Now is not terrible, but is not the same, and this “destroy cities, do nothing with them, put them all in Stormwind and Orgrimmar, destroy the racial variety!” is not good in my opinion.

Side stories to delve you in the race/class you play would be amazing. Mini stories that advance the situation of your race. Forsaken, Night Elves, Gnomes, Worgen, Trolls (I guess), etc. all lack a city.

Add side quests to lead them to one. Not only destroy and focus on the big bad who now only lasts one expansion.

But I assume Blizz is forced to work like that. Minimum effort for maximum money. And can’t blame any company for doing such if the playerbase stays buying even if they just add a toy for an expansion.

Many would do it.

Yep. I think as time has gone on the upper level has become less gamer enthusiast and more sales. The influence the mobile industry has had on their PC product line is undeniable. It’s not difficult to know when this all started. It was many, many years ago in fact before or during the Diablo Immortal fiasco but likely around the years of D3 being born.

Well… we did burn the rest of them… eyeballs the world tree left “This is why we can’t have nice things, especially green things…”

i’m curious how you would ensure that every spec can do the exact same damage on fights with different damage profiles, like say guardian vs the nine

How are the damage profiles different?

If you’re talking about resistance types, that can be geared for or enchanted for if anything.

If you’re talking about non Patchwerk fights where encounter mechanics dictate if and when someone can DPS, that’s not the baseline.

A Patchwerk style fight is the ideal / set raw DPS check fight.

If Energy types or different physical resistance levels are based on the individual fights, then that just means the baseline can be set and then gear and other options can be used to adjust for the needs of each fight.

unless I’ve forgotten the details, one is single target and one isn’t. some specs do better with that than others.