The AV Choice

i dont think they still have the old version of AV. they said classic was able to happen because they found an old folder containing 1.12.

the old stuff was probably over written or deleted at some point, its been 14 years now and its not like civil engineering where there are mandates to hang on to this stuff

Very few people actually buy that story, finding it utterly absurd.

Even if it were true, take a look at the change log I posted earlier. Look at how many changes they managed to make from patch to patch while the game was live. Does anyone believe the current group incapable of reverting those changes without breaking a sweat and with the time they have had to work on this? I mean, changing the actual map may cause a little perspiration, but adding mobs/NPCs back in and boosting the stats back to their original ones? Please.

Also as Williams pointed out, instanced content is likely like modules that would have been worked on independently of the game world data. Using the dog ate my lunch for both the world data as well as the instanced code? Sorry, I do not buy it.

4 Likes

no one is saying its impossible. i have doubts they will spend the resources on it myself

they probably did save the old version for a while, but its 14 years later now

1 Like

It really depends on how they wrote it up. They could have wrote it with the intention of never going back. Some things would be easier to implement for sure but some values could have been changed with no regard of what it use to be. Also some models could have just been completely removed from the game thus they would need to re make those assets entirely.

1 Like

That is the likely reason they would go with 1.12, but again them not spending the resources can lead to customers not spending the money.

3 Likes

After studying the list of patch changes, 1.7 seems to be the correct choice. There were important bugs and exploits that got fixed, but it was still before all the massive nerfs ruined the battleground.

Old AV was the most fun I ever had in the history of this game, so Iā€™m really hoping they make the right decision and give us the original version before the massive nerfs hit.

7 Likes

i remember 8hr games in av back in the day.both sides summoning Lokā€™Holar the ice lord and Ivus the forest lord to try and push each otherā€¦the good old days.

this is av back in 2007.

this is how av used to beā€¦the memories.

3 Likes

Great goal, I did that a lot back in the day.

My best was on a Saturday when I had nothing to do, resulting in 250 killing blows and 2800 HKs. It was glorious.

1 Like

I was more about getting objectives done, but I certainly did rack up a ton of HKs before they throttled them with DRs.

As cool as it would be to get the old AV I think I kinda want the ā€˜new-erā€™ AV with the time limit on itā€¦ I just wanna be able to get the AV Marks of Honor for the PvP mount and not have to sit in a 5-6 hour AV just to get my 1-3 marksā€¦

Thatā€™s such a Current WoW mentality. The experience doesnā€™t matter. Itā€™s not about fun. Itā€™s just a mindless grind to get marks. All the more reason the earlier version should be used in Classic. The game should be about playing it for gasp fun.

5 Likes

Get your marks in the garbage tier BGs of AB and WSG.

1 Like

I would have loved to have seen the mines.

I never got to see this, Why was it removed? Sounds like they changed the map, then didnā€™t have time to rescript Korrak. But is there another reason?

How many guards were there at gys, towers, on the road, near the small bosses, etc.? Were they removed for performance? Did they respawn? I loved having tough captains or w/e near every tower and gy, and the ones patrolling the roads too.

I like that we have to work as a team. I know premades used to exclude other players from their groups or something before this. I think Wow works best when you have dedicated groups leading the way for the irregulars, and that they should be grouped.

Is it bad for another reason?

I only played after this change, I liked it, I noticed lots of players did loot and return. I admit I didnā€™t that much, but that was mostly in TBC.

I agree with you. And I think itā€™s more healthy for the game that it goes exactly the way you and many other people want it to go. I am just stating that ~I~ would ~personally~ prefer to NOT have to play ā€˜spin the RNG wheelā€™ when I queue up for an AV and join in and be like ā€˜oh this wonā€™t be done for another 2-3 hours easily. Iā€™ll go leave and pick some herbs / do some world PvP and Q again in 2 hoursā€™

Then risk queuing into a fresh AV (assuming I canā€™t just run all the way to Alterac / a battlemaster and queue specifically for the AV instance I was in earlier) and pray that thereā€™s a spot open (Which there probably wonā€™t be unless weā€™re losing.)

I will say I think itā€™s healthy for the game to go with the old model. And thereā€™s a big part of me that hopes they do that. But thereā€™s another part of me that justā€¦ REALLY doesnā€™t wanna deal with all of that BS.

I would also feel kinda robbed that someone who plays for 1 hour essentially gets the same reward as me who busted their BUTTS off to sit in that AV for like. 6-7 hours if I legit sat in for the whole thing.

But trust and believe Iā€™ve been there. Done that. Got the Tshirt. I remember queuing up an AV back in the day - play for like 30-45 minutes before school in the morningā€¦ Then coming back. And queuing into the same AV lol.

The take away here isā€¦ I think the old way is healthier for the game. Not healthier for me. But I foresee them going with the new way fortunately/unfortunately.

But back then you needed 30 of each for the mount and I donā€™t think they let you convert the marks of honor into other marks until BC I believe. (I think thatā€™s when they added the Daily Quest that gave bonus marks of honor as well)

Wow, Iā€™m legitimately impressed with this post. Great attitude and understanding that personal desires arenā€™t always best for the game as a whole.

Iā€™ve been saying for a year+ now that the more different Current and Classic WoW are, the better for both games. So offering a radically different AV experience that players canā€™t get anywhere else can only be a good thing. Especially in a static game. Blizz canā€™t rely on the eternal carrot chase in a static game. It has to be about the experience itself.

5 Likes

I would PREFER to think that we happy people here in the Classic forums are not animals and are capable of calm, civil, rational and friendly discussions. But I do wish to see as many people happy as possible. And if I am in the minority then so be it? It will just take longer for me to get the mount; Thus making it that much more prestigious.

1 Like

They should use an earlier version of AV, and those who donā€™t like it should simply opt to not play it.

I donā€™t get this mentality of everybody needs to be able do everything in the game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at part of a game and going ā€œyou know what? Thatā€™s not for me. Iā€™m not going to play that because I donā€™t care for itā€.

Hell thatā€™s my reaction to the entire Warrior class in Vanilla. I generally prefer mixing magic and martial combat in RPGs, or just pure magic failing any Mage Knight type class.

Plus there is nothing from AV that is necessary to actually play other areas of the game, or even necessary to play AV for that matter.

The mounts are nice but not something you HAVE to have, and the rep rewards can be gotten in a weekend of playing if you want them that badly.

3 Likes

I share your enjoyment of team play, however in regard to the auto-raid-group change, it was the first step toward chronic AFKers.

1 Like

They should use the 1.12 version of AV, and those who donā€™t like it should simply opt to not play it.

I donā€™t get this mentality of everybody needs to be able do everything in the game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at part of a game and going ā€œyou know what? Thatā€™s not for me. Iā€™m not going to play that because I donā€™t care for itā€.

Hell thatā€™s my reaction to the entire Warrior class in Vanilla. I generally prefer mixing magic and martial combat in RPGs, or just pure magic failing any Mage Knight type class.

Plus there is nothing from AV that is necessary to actually play other areas of the game, or even necessary to play AV for that matter.

The mounts are nice but not something you HAVE to have, and the rep rewards can be gotten in a weekend of playing if you want them that badly.