šŸŸ The Ankoan and Jinyu Race Discussion Thread

Hope you guys get what you want, and wish you the best. Showing my support here. You should start a discord on it too for a gathering of the community to chit-chat. Otherwise, regardless, good job with the thread and again hope this goes through for people that enjoy the idea. Does not destroy the lore of another race so itā€™s A-OK in my book.

I will share this thread with the communities I know to see if others would like to share ideas and contribute.

8 Likes

I can see your point when it comes to gender neutral races, yet it seems we as a society when it comes to games look towards having something be either male or female. I would like blizzard to somewhat take a chance with a race to make a race that appears one gender in physical appearance but still have that male or female concept when it comes to the raceā€™s society.

It would show the creativity of a writer in my opinion if this could happen instead of the status quo that we see in pretty much everything when it comes to story in games.

1 Like

Reminder though. There is a lot in favor of Gilgoblins becoming an AR though and so far all races that have come so far have been the same racial type. It very well is possible they could continue this pattern or what they had a change of plans since that comment was made.

No more NE reskins please, I hate the NE rig.

Sure but I donā€™t see the Vulpera/Gilgoblin dynamic to be an either/or scenario. The fact that gilgoblins are relevant to the lore again doesnā€™t automatically negate the evidence that supports Vulpera. Thereā€™s room for both, and I donā€™t think the Allied Race system necessarily needs to be confined by a limiting principle that ā€œif X race is not related to Y race on the roster, then X race doesnā€™t get to play.ā€ Seems like that would be a major design constraint that only works against us as players.

For instance, if they canā€™t come up with a decent Worgen Allied Race, I donā€™t want them to stuff a worgen in a rabbit suit for some arbitrary Allied Race quota rather than just pull the trigger on playable Ankoans. It wouldnā€™t matter to me in the slightest if worgen never have an allied race that borrows its skeleton. I just like cool stuff.

Point taken but borrowing a skeleton is not the same thing as a reskin. The difference between draenei and eredar is skin-deep, as an example. But Jinyu/Ankoans have completely unique models.

Ideally, Iā€™d like animation work to be done on the ankoans so that their models are at least as distinct from night elves as the Zandalari Trolls are.

4 Likes

If they took the animations as far as Z-troll that would be a good start, the silhouette is still super NE though so maybe shaking up the proportions more too.

I know they can do good things with old rigs, like the snakes built off of fem-worgs but the fish-men would have a lot of work ahead to get away from NE.

I would really like a reptilian/fish/avian race though, I love loud colours so I can imagine a lot of really cool scale and feather colours/customizations.

1 Like

These have a faction-only reputation just like Kelfins do. That means if Gilgoblins become an AR, Ankoans will too.

2 Likes

Gilgobbers are called Kelfins now?

1 Like

Yup, thatā€™s their official name!

3 Likes

Heheheh, itā€™s cute. I like it.

3 Likes

Agreed! I like it better than gilgoblin.

2 Likes

Thats right. Here is a video showing so. (SPOILERS) Donā€™t click if you donā€™t want to see Nazjatar or the Gilgoblin bodyguard footage.

On topic. Ankoan also worship Gral if I am not mistaken? They have the buff by Gral that mentioned them as faithful to the sea loa?

Now my question. If there anything suggesting that Gral canā€™t grant druidic powers?

3 Likes

Not much evidence either for or against that notion. Gralā€™s largely a rather underdeveloped loa. Heā€™s definitely one of the weaker ones, at least.

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep this in mind.

Question: how are you able to link to images and videos? I tried to get a few up for my thread over here (šŸ‰ Official Twilight Highlands Allied Race Megathread), but find myself unable to do so.

You have to reach Trust Level 3.

Keldar. Like Rorrand Explained. You have to be trust level 3. However you probably need an more immediate solution amirite? Here is a tip that I can offer you which will help you out. If you want to link images that are displayed openly for everyone in a thread but arenā€™t trust level 3, your best option is to upload images as videos like so:

Now its obviously still inferior, but its better than not being able to link images openly. Here is the easiest way I know to do this. Follow these steps:

1. Get OBS Broadcaster(completely free)
  2. Take a 1-5 second video of an image.
  3. Upload it to youtube and make sure the video is set to public.
  4. Make a library of your saved videos somewhere online so you can easily link them when you need.

This at least can help you with a more immediate solution.

3 Likes

No to both. We donā€™t need more ugly species.

2 Likes

You can stick with your pointy eared humans :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

My support for Ankoan and Gilgoblin!

6 Likes