The Amani are NOT the good guys

Why the Night Elves are here when they have no connection with the Amani?

2 Likes

No, they weren’t.

Once the elves built Quel’thalas they put up a shield around it and they lived in peace for FOUR THOUSAND YEARS before the Amani found a way to get through it and attacked.

The High Elves. It’s good to specify it because not all the elves are related to the war against the Amani, only the High Elves are not the other ones.

looking at the map in chronicles, the parts of ZA we see in game is within Silvermoon’s pre-troll wars territory (including other obvious ancient sacred troll sites and villages).

But no, the Amani should have been thrilled that remnants from Azshara’s old brutal empire that they barely held on against showed up and appropriated their heartlands for themselves.

2 Likes

Trolls live what, a max of 200 years? And this was nearly three thousand years since their last contact? I’m not super into the racial prejudice aspect as a supporting angle.

And hey, even granting that their hate was justified, they didn’t have to be thrilled. But not being thrilled doesn’t mean they also shouldn’t have tried to talk it out first.

No, it’s not. The Chronicles has a troll wars map and Zul’Aman is clearly not within the area that represents Quel’thalas.

I’d post a link to the map, but I can’t post links on this forums.

I lost sympathy when they sat and back and let the Scourge befoul and annihilate their “sacred” land just to soften up the elves for a slaughter.

A Void invasion isn’t going to unite these two races without radical shifts in attitude, and unfortunately Amani fans consider the tribe so justified in its crusade to exterminate the blood elves that its consequent fade into gristle seems more acceptable than any introspection or compromise.

they. were. the. ones. invaded.

3 Likes

Being invaded makes racial prejudice from thousands of years ago to be ok?

Like I don’t think “there are some people from a race we haven’t had in contact with for almost three thousand years, we should attack on sight” is a good thing.

Starting to sound British.

Trying to take back the lands literally in the shadow of your capital is racist but invading those lands in the first place or being a part of a world spanning conquering empire is not.

The Amani should forgive the Helves for their role in Azshara’s subjugation of the trolls and invading but the Helves hating the Amani for not being perfect victims is acceptable.

I don’t even think the Amani are good, I just think the double standard is insane lol.

3 Likes

Attacking people immediately because of their race is racist.

Both groups can be racist, you know. I’m not the one trying to cite racism as reasonable.

Are we really going on the Amani-Elf tangent again. It was one of the few examples of actually gray writing in this setting. It is a testament to that ambiguity people keep having at the topic I guess…

2 Likes

No? It says they were stubborn, after it says the land was sacred.

The initial conflict has blame for both parties.

The Troll Wars is 100% the Amani’s fault for starting a war over 4000 year old land claims.

While I never played WC2, it’s hard not to feel that they were done dirty given that we’ve now given passes to: (some) Eredar, Sylvanas, (some) Sylvanas Loyalists, (some) Garrosh Loyalists, AU Grommash, Gallywix, The Val’kyr (though they ended up being pro-Jailer), etc.

Given that many can empathize with the Amani’s core issue of having their land taken from them by the invading High Elves, it makes their treatment by the writers feel a lot worse when compared to all of the other bad guys who’ve been allowed to join “Team Azeroth” with few or, sometimes, no strings attached.

4 Likes

The hatred of the high elves developed over time because the amani attacked them first.

They had no bad feelings originaly toward them by their landing on lordaerons shores.

You are wrong. This is the quote.

The arrival of the Highborne infuriated the trolls, who harbored a bitter hatred of elves from the days of Queen Azshara. The Amani sent out raiding parties immediately, and the Highborne soon learned to fear troll ambushes in the dense forests. Yet the elves stubbornly pressed forward, using their magical prowess to decimate any Amani who dared cross their path. Soon the trolls also learned to tread cautiously. The continious skirmishes fostered a mutual enmity between the Amani and the Highborne.

As I said, it denotes the immediate ambushes, but that they stubbornly pressed forward in relation to that. And this is before any mention of sacredness. The sacredness doesn’t come into mention for five more paragraphs.

The trolls did not agree. The high elves had built their new kingdom atop ancient Amani ruins - ruins still considered hallowed ground by the trolls. Outnumbering the elves by more than ten to one, the Amani struggled ferociously to drive the invaders from their sacred land.

No mention of stubborn in the rest of the section.

Talk about thread necromancy.

Anyway, the high elves clearly knew that the amani lived there before settling. Let me quote the high elf lore page that sadly do not exist anymore on blizz website.

"As they pressed further inland, the elves developed a blood feud with the cunning forest trolls of Zul’Aman, who controlled most of the northern reaches of Lordaeron. Finally the exiled elves reached a region whose forestland reminded them of their distant homeland in Kalimdor. They drove out the resident Amani trolls, founded the kingdom of Quel’Thalas, and began calling themselves high elves. They also crowned Dath’Remar as their first monarch

And the Amani lore from the troll compendium

When the high elves first arrived in Lordaeron, they used their sorcery to drive the forest trolls out of a region in the north, where the elves subsequently established the enchanted kingdom of Quel’Thalas. The forest trolls resolved to overthrow the elven invaders and topple the spires of Quel’Thalas.

They drove out the resident trolls, so clearly at that point they must have know that the Amani lived there. And both of these citations clearly place the driving out the trolls as before founding the kingdom.
And for the people claiming that sacred ruins that Silvermoon would be founded on would not be inhabited. Please remember that we see trolls literally live in/around ruins all around warcraft. Even if they were not actively lived in then they’d most likely would have been used ritually since they were sacred.

2 Likes

Your argument is incomplete.
What exactly makes the Alliance and Horde morally superior to the Amani? Why is our mass murder more ethical than their mass murder?

2 Likes