Thank god for no party sync in classic

I was already tired of the scaling systems currently in wow but this one just sounds terrible. What a strange direction they’re taking retail wow, Classic cannot come too soon for me.

6 Likes

party sync? what do you mean.

Assuming LFG/LFR?

Don’t have a direct link for the post but check out mmo champion’s front page 8.2.5 ptr

They should actually try to make the game more engaging instead of even more accessible.

They are so hungry for new players and desperate to keep current subscribers.

Pretty soon just knowing someone who plays will win the game for you.

8 Likes

They’ve done so much “streamlining” to the game that feels like a completely separate game now. Just sit in town and queue up, don’t even have to go out in the world anymore to speed run your friend lol.

3 Likes

I know several people that highly enjoy this factor.

More time for chatting while they are in que.

“We’re also relaxing level restrictions on queueing for instanced content with your friends. This allows lower-level players to queue for content in their level range, and higher-level players can choose to join them by having their level scaled down while they’re in the instance.”

…my god, it’s like WoW is currently being directed by John Carpenter. :grimacing:

1 Like

This is sorta what FF does. What I find bizarre is how pointless it is with mob scaling.

Augh. Dont get me started on this crap. I could probably make an hour long video about why retail isnt a fun game. Its just mindless meant for the masses who “enjoy seeing numbers go up”.

6 Likes

I mean don’t get me wrong I understand it’s designed to allow you and your friends to level together even through a level discrepancy. But everything has been so scaled and muddled to the point of “what even is this game anymore?” it seems

3 Likes

"Its just mindless meant for the masses who “enjoy seeing numbers go up”.

Can you at all explain how this statement applies to what we’re even talking about here. Like really, how does the ability to scale yourself down to old content just to be able to play it normally and with a friend apply to your seemingly random criticism here.

I swear whenever blizzard ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING to make old content relevant this forum somehow takes it as a personal act of aggression towards them.

14 Likes

Amen brother!!

This whole. Classic is about community and then something about the community or playing with others come up and we crap on it has got to stop.

Come on, guys… We want WoW to succeed in both classic and live! At least some of us do.

I see this is a pretty solid step forward into trying to address the complaints about it being a solo game. It also looks like they are listening and seeing what the community is talking about.

And since the OP can’t figure out how the web and URLS work here is the report AND a quote of the full section.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/8657-Patch-8-2-5-PTR-Development-Notes

Introducing Party Sync
During this PTR we’re experimenting with a new mode that makes it easier for players in a party to do quests and play together: Party Sync. When players activate Party Sync, everyone in the party becomes aligned to the same quest state, including phases. By mousing over a quest in your tracker, you can see who is on the quest, what their progress is, and who’s ready to turn in the quest. There’s something else we’re going to try out on the PTR, a “replay” quest feature. This will allow players who have already completed certain quests to replay those quests with their friends for rewards that are appropriate to their current level, regardless of the original level of the quest.
We’re also relaxing level restrictions on queueing for instanced content with your friends. This allows lower-level players to queue for content in their level range, and higher-level players can choose to join them by having their level scaled down while they’re in the instance. This feature will be available for dungeon instances for PTR Week 1, with PvP instances being flagged in the following weeks. Please note that unlike Timewalking, when your level is scaled down via Party Sync you will temporarily lose access to abilities and powers (such as Azerite traits) with requirements that exceed your reduced level.

13 Likes

My counter to “helping folks play together” is that by doing all this scaling they are making everything in the game feel The Same. Bland. There is no difference in anything anymore.

I logged back in to the current wow free-mode play on a priest that I got to level 20. Any I don’t care what zone I go in, I am invincible. Or what instance I can queue up for, I am invincible. There is no sense of progression of character at all. I can be in an instance with a level 16 and a level 27, and we are all the same. Nobody is overpowered (well, we are all), nobody is underpowered. All this normalization is turning retail into Unflavored Oatmeal. Sure, it will not upset the belly, and goes down easy, but it is just bland oats.

Do players really love this stuff? All of this normalization has turned WoW into this:

14 Likes

Swtor has this in game. You out level a planet you stay at the max lvl for that planet even when you go back to do the dailies there. For instances or pvp its the opposite yoy are given max lvl.

Introducing Party Sync
During this PTR we’re experimenting with a new mode that makes it easier for players in a party to do quests and play together: Party Sync. When players activate Party Sync, everyone in the party becomes aligned to the same quest state, including phases. By mousing over a quest in your tracker, you can see who is on the quest, what their progress is, and who’s ready to turn in the quest. There’s something else we’re going to try out on the PTR, a “replay” quest feature. This will allow players who have already completed certain quests to replay those quests with their friends for rewards that are appropriate to their current level, regardless of the original level of the quest.
We’re also relaxing level restrictions on queueing for instanced content with your friends. This allows lower-level players to queue for content in their level range, and higher-level players can choose to join them by having their level scaled down while they’re in the instance. This feature will be available for dungeon instances for PTR Week 1, with PvP instances being flagged in the following weeks. Please note that unlike Timewalking, when your level is scaled down via Party Sync you will temporarily lose access to abilities and powers (such as Azerite traits) with requirements that exceed your reduced level.”

Weird. Why have levels at all?

1 Like

Of note, they’ve been seriously tossing around the topic of a level squish.

3 Likes

I wonder if retail will keep pushing people who prefer something like older WoW (even something like Cata or MoP) away or into Classic in an attempt to have retail become some level-less, omni-scaling, shapeless blob of non-RPG content that’s really just a random-reward action game.

3 Likes

Yes they need a lvl squish. Right now to lvl up from scatch is so boring. I am at 101 and really dont want to do anymore.

It was never that crash hot of a game in the first place.

Many tried it, some stayed, and it stamped an indelible legacy onto game design.

Fallout 3 was a great game, rite?

This feature is a good one … for Retail.

Ever since Icecrown and Storm Peaks, phasing has disrupted your ability to help friends and guildmates out with quests. Got a particularly hard elite? You have to find help from people in the same phase only.

Instead of weakening everything back to easy, now they can revert them back to Elites and make people group up for actual quests.

1 Like