Texture flickering

I have been recently experiencing a graphical glitch on WoW exclusively since 9/7/2020. The textures of the terrain as well as the sky box will spontaneously begin flashing rapidly to the point that I need to look away. I have attached a video of the issue.

I am utilizing a GTX 1080 and have up to date drivers according to Nvidia’s GeForce Experience, and the flickering is happening regardless of which monitor I pull WoW up on. (Including when I unplug my secondary/tertiary monitors to test)

Do you have any recommendations or a resolution?

https://imgur.com/a/UkKDlaz

Hey Mantura,

Can you check in the graphics menu and check to see if you have MSAA enabled for the Anti-Aliasing setting? We’ve seen some flickering with the newer Nvidia drivers caused by MSAA.

Edit: Changed the title of the thread and put the link in your post instead.

3 Likes

Hello Jambrix,

Thank you for the prompt response, I really appreciate it. My current settings are:

Triple Buffering: Enabled
MSAA: Color 8x/ Depth 8x
Multisample Alpha-Test: Enabled
Post-Process AA: CMAA
Resample Quality: Bicubic
Graphics API: DirectX 12
Physics Interactions: Player and NPC
Graphics Card: Auto Detect

The issue is sporadic, so after a restart it did go away for the time being before I turned off MSAA. I will turn off MSAA however and will respond if the issue re-arises despite it.

Thank you again!

Sounds good, hopefully that does the trick!

As a note there are two places where you can select MSAA settings. Under System -> Advanced there’s a MSAA drop down, select None for that. Then under System -> Graphics there’s the Anti-Aliasing drop down, make sure MSAA isn’t selected for that.

If you want to use a different Anti-Aliasing setting the rest of them should be working fine.

2 Likes

Good afternoon Jambrix,

The issue has reappeared despite turning off the settings. Albeit it looks like it is affecting significantly less texture types. I have another link for you if you are able to work your magic once more!

https:// imgur . com/a/UAHO9Js

Just wanted to give you an update!

Hey there,

I noticed the graphics quality is set to 10. Does lowering it help any? As a test I’d slide it all the way to 1 temporarily just to make the difference super noticeable.

I’d also like to grab a DxDiag so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

2 Likes

I am having the same issue since updating my nVidia Drvers to the latest release.
I turned off all anti-aliasing. I have a GTX 1660 Super.
I tried to link a pastbin of my DxDiag but it would not let me post a link. and the copy paste was too long even with the four tildes

just read this on the nVidia forums.
Known issue with the newest drivers. I have reverted back to 452.06 and everything is fine again.

• [World of Warcraft Shadowlands]: When run at frame rates greater than 60 FPS with high display settings, moving characters display minute twitching/stuttering. [200647563]
3 Likes

As of 1/10/2021, i was having the same issue with random flickering. Under advanced settings, i disabled the triple buffering setting and that managed to stop the flickering.

6 Likes

Worked Great thanks it was driving me crazy

For anyone that finds this thread in the future via Google and has an nVidia card:

Check your Ambient Occlusion Type setting. See if FidelityFX CACAO is selected. Turning that off instantly fixed the flicker for me. MSAA is maxed and Triple Buffering is on. Have RTX 3080. Running the three newest versions of nVidia drivers (each with a clean install) made no difference. This fixed it right off. Seems to be an issue with it (it’s supposed to work with nVidia cards, but who knows).

3 Likes

Thanks for the post and the info, I have been having some flickering lately.

Posting here to keep track of this for when I go into the game later today.

Easy solution I found on the Europe forum…

“FYI going into System and Advanced and changing Graphics card from Auto Detect to my card fixed the flickering”

fixed my issue right away

4 Likes

Can’t upvote this enough, this instantly fixed the problem for me thank you man.

You’re my hero.

it’s not just Nvidia cards that have the flickering. i have a 10th gen i5 with UHD graphics that the sky flickers it when i press the M key. all setting are either on low /disabled