Texture Flickering

Hot fix driver didn’t help. Still happens randomly. Not as much though. And I havent had it happen on character select screen

I’ve had this same problem for roughly the past 2 weeks. I downloaded/installed the most recent Nvidia driver that was recommended about a week ago, and while the problem wasn’t as bad, it still persisted. I’ve had to shut down WoW every time the problem popped up or else it would get progressively worse, causing full-screen flashing, not just texture-flashing.

So, about 10 minutes ago I did a clean install of the same driver after using DDU. Load up WoW, instantly see my character’s hair texture flickering at the character selection screen. So apparently that didn’t work.

Any other suggestions?

Yes what I said to do above, Remove anything 445.xx and put in 442.50 standalone. The current 445.xx are having sharpening issues. Also drop it to msaa x4. I did this on 4 machines problem was fixed.

It’s worth trying what Dokkan mentioned to see if the flickering will stop on DirectX12. If by chance this does help, please let us know! We’d love to get tracking on this issue since we have seen problems happen with specific drivers and texture flickering previously.

Dokkan, you mentioned that the problem occurred on 4 different computers, would you happen to have information on the graphics card models for each of these computers? In case, others are experiencing issues, we’d like to add this to our tracking once we have some additional confirmation from other players :slight_smile:

Thanks for giving that a try and additional details!

1 Like

Absolutely

Machine 1: 9900k, EVGA 2080 Super SC
Machine 2: Ryzen 2600 latest bios and chipset paired with an EVGA 1660ti.
Machine 3: Intel 8400, EVGA 1070 FTW2.
Machine 4: Ryzen 2700x paired with MSI 1660TI

Laptop, Helios 300 has a 7700k paired with a 1060 6gb.

Edit: added details…

I tried a variety of drivers on the 445.xx but when putting it on msaa x4/8 I noticed texture flickering on trees in freehold/starfish in najitar. Removed with DDU clean installed the standalone driver from Nvidia 442.50 on all and everything quit bugging out and has been working fine since. Tested up to hotfix driver 445.98.

Edit 2: I should mention I am playing on a Dell monitor, Model: S2716DGR, I did disable gsync and put it at 120hz none of which made a difference. The only thing that did was the driver… I even tried another display port and cable when the error had occured.

Thank you for the details, Dokkan! Sorry for the delay here, it sounds like the 442.50 drivers resolved the flickering issue on DirectX12. Does this help with all systems?

It’s looking like the driver related issues with flickering may have returned since we have seen this problem with Nvidia drivers previously. If anyone else is running into similar issues, please let us know the graphics card on the system and if reverting the drivers helps with the issue. We can start gather information to get this issue tracked on our end :slight_smile:

1 Like

I solved this issue this afternoon by turning off triple buffering. It had been getting pretty bad in the last week, so it’s a big relief.

1 Like

Yes after installing 442.50 on all systems even the laptop it ceased and still has not returned. It is also noted with Nvidia on forums that there is some sharpening issues so when running I.E. msaa 4x/8x it would cause the flickering. Lowering it or turning it off did help to a degree however I wasn’t okay with that and simply reverted.

Thanks, Dokkan! I’m going to go through and gather the information provided so far to get this issue tracked and skim through to see if we can find any additional reports and information :slight_smile:

I realize this post is a bit old, but I finally resolved my texture flickering (mostly on shadows) by disabling “Multisample Alpha-Test” under Advanced. Using NVIDIA drivers 451.48 from 06/24/2020.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up on this Kaldent! That might be worth reporting to Nvidia since that feature is in testing. You can reach out at their forums to do so.

With triple buffering and alpha test multisample disabled I’m getting this consistently as well.

Yeah, I’m having this issue crop up again with the latest nvidia drivers. I’ve disabled the settings mentioned in this thread and it’s still not resolved.

1 Like

I noticed this too since the latest driver. It’s either the lighting intensity on foliage flickering or things like fog or smoke flickering. I see it most in bastion and the maw/torghast

1 Like

Getting this again as well.
Haven’t been to Bastion yet to test it, but it is definitely bad in Torghast.
I do see it flicker on foliage as well.

same. alot of this in Torgast, Bastion and some places in BFA

edit: had to roll back to driver version 457.30 (Nov 2020), it works fine, no flicker at all. i hope they can fix this.

1 Like

It hurts the eyes…and my mog :slightly_smiling_face:

Same as others, after recent nvidia driver update I get flickering throughout Ardenweald and the Maw.

1 Like

Same boat. Tried reverting to last version. That didn’t fix it.

Also have been getting this for several weeks now