Testing Adding Damage Reduction to PvP

Hello, Classic PvPers!

This coming weekend, we will test an adjustment to Player versus Player combat in Season of Discovery. We will implement a global damage reduction aura on PvP combat between players (and player controlled pets and other units).

When we started Season of Discovery, we knew that PvP would become significantly more fast paced and bursty, with each class being capable of significantly more damage output, and this quickly proved to be true. We experimented with a damage reduction aura in battlegrounds during Phase 1, but it didn’t work as well as we hoped, mostly because healing was scaling more aggressively than damage at that point, causing healing classes to become significantly more oppressive in battlegrounds than they normally would be. Now that we’re in Phase 3, we’ve made many changes and added more runes, and burst damage has significantly outpaced healing output, so we feel that it’s a good time to try this again.

Damage scaling and its impact on PvP has always been a concern in World of Warcraft, even since original WoW. Various systems have been introduced to counteract this to varying levels of success, but ultimately it always comes down to the fact that player damage outscales player health at a base level, and an adjustment is needed for combat between players to continue to feel satisfying as player power increases. We’ve been hesitant to introduce this as a permanent feature, and we prefer to give it a trial run this weekend to get an idea of how it feels before we take further steps. Please note: this aura will affect all areas of the game world, not just battlegrounds.

We encourage you to get out into the world (or in battlegrounds) and PvP the weekend and let us know how it feels. We’re prepared to do some tuning to make it the most effective, so your feedback will be very helpful.

We currently plan to enable the aura on all Season of Discovery realms on Friday, April 26 at approximately 10:00 a.m. PDT (19:00 CEST), and it will be disabled four days later, during scheduled weekly maintenance in each region.

We look forward to your feedback. Thank you!

32 Likes

A step in a proper direction.

8 Likes

when can I transfer out of lone wolf :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If its a flat damage reduction I think its a step in the wrong direction and will indirectly hurt a lot of classes. But guess one way to find out. It is just a weekend after all.

Edit: biggest thing I see becoming an issue is mana. Gonna oom and be sitting out of combat much more.

17 Likes

everyone across the board is not what is needed. you need to add like the flat stam buff, magic resistance buff across the board. melee already struggle to do a dent in players who can self heal this does nothing.

7 Likes

By struggle, you mean killing anything and everything within 3 globals.

17 Likes

5 melee dps on 1 resto shaman near impossible to take down

4 Likes

Said absolutely nobody lmao.

21 Likes

Why you making me agree with the level 63 shaman man.

16 Likes

YES! A step in the right direction. I will give BG’s another try. Even though I’m exalted ab and wsg and r 7, I used to like to do them for fun.

1 Like

in what world, imaginationland?

6 Likes

make sure it affects everyone except warriors, cuz if not they will 100% quit

3 Likes

Burst pvp is good pvp.

13 Likes

So what’s the percentage?

Please not this hidden BFA scaling **** again

1 Like

I wonder what new exploit this will bring that will generate thousands of gold/items for the “exploit early exploit often” crowd that the devs will just ignore again.

10 Likes

Actually, a flat damage nerf is exactly what we needed. There is no ability to tune for classes that need serious PVE help because they are strong in PvP.

This helps tremendously… i hope it goes well!

1 Like

And we need to address something about why we didn’t like the 25% DR in WSG:

IT DID NOT AFFECT HUNTER PETS.

For all that is right in the world, PLEASE make sure this aura you implement affects Hunter pets this time.

9 Likes

remove spell pushback in pvp

12 Likes

They already said it would, whether or not they implement it properly is another case, but they did state the intent is for it to be for all player related portions.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing this at a global level versus trying to handle it with gear. I’m excited to see and try this out.

Thanks!

3 Likes