"Terror of Darkshore" Horde Opinions and Reactions (Meta/Story)

A lot of us were skeptical when they made Sylvanas warchief- Vol’jin even lampshades it on his way out.

I trust you’ll forgive us for holding out hope that the expansion they released would have SOMETHING in common with the one they advertised? Look at the trailers and tell me this was all foreshadowed from the start of Legion.

15 Likes

I have a better option. I’m staying in Zandalar, not listening to anything Nathanos asks me to do, and fishing.

4 Likes

Can I have your fish for raid feasts? Those things are an ar se to make.

Apparently now the forums just won’t let you post where they would have censored a word before.

I will start using “RC” as an abbreviation for “butts” just to confuse people.

They’re going up for auction, if you’ve got the cash! But for you, almost-name-twin, I’ll make a special price.

Looks like you critically botched your copy and paste there chief.

Hey, all im saying is that maybe the fact that someone who has been compared to the lich king was made warchief should have turned some heads.

When the forums were debating how did teldrassil burn, i already knew it was her. Its perfectly IC for sylvanas to pull stuff like that.

She already tried that with gilneas and the blight, the difference is that gilneas is easier to escape from

3 Likes

The “Sylvanas=Arthas” story beats had not been introduced by that point. Those were largely introduced in this very bundle of lies/expansion. At the time she was made warchief, the most recent material we’d seen of her was much more promising, as was the BfA trailer.

Holding Lorna Crowley hostage for Darius’ good behavior, then releasing her when he met terms, was in character for her.

Hostage taking is in character. It’s cruel and cold, but serves a practical purpose and sustains the idea that you can be negotiated with.

Murdering thousands of hostages was a significant stretch, specifically because of how much more pragmatic it would have been to keep them.

Please recall that Blizz deliberately obfuscated that fact to feed speculation, where the actual surprise came from the fact that it was about the least interesting or creative way they could have handled it.

18 Likes

(shrug) That was a throwaway line waaaaaay back in Cataclysm and the character had a lot of twists and turns since then.

But I don’t feel like arguing this any further. Blizzard’s gonna do what Blizzard’s gonna do.

Im sorry for the sarcasm but… was Mama Valkyr on her knees and in chains while Sylvanas smugly said “submit” not enough foreshadowing that she still is same old sylvie?

And yes, as disgusting as it sounds, burning teldrassil was the pragmatic thing to do, with both Big T and malf alive and the army on the way it was impossible to hold. Perfectly IC for her.

I just get feeling that ppl like the idea of sylvanas and what she could/might be rather than the actual sylvanas

4 Likes

Hey, man, I’m not gonna kinkshame the warchief.
(as an aside, YES, that development pissed me off, and hurt the writers’ credibility in terms of my hope for Sylvanas’ tenure. I felt betrayed, like my efforts had been exploited for something I wouldn’t have agreed to, but the story framed it such that the player was explicitly manipulated, not complicit, and it in no way implicated the rest of the Horde)

Capturing Teldrassil and filling it with azerite bombs would have been pragmatic. Supply the orcs with the lumber they can’t get enough of, basically mined from the walls of the tree, and hold the population hostage against the Alliance’s good behavior. Force the Alliance into conflict- a peaceful, orderly occupation is something this world has basically never seen. There would be people clamoring to fight for the tree, but there would also be people who wanted to play it safe, to protect the hostages. Any military response would have been both diluted and contentious.

And, if Malfurion tried to turn the tree into a weapon against them, blow the charges, burn the tree. She could lay the blame on Malfurion for leaving her with no other option besides outright retreat.

(Morally, she’d still be culpable, of course! But in terms of realpolitik, it being clear that thousands of dead night elves would still be alive if Malf and T, or even Anduin, had cooled their heels WOULD have been a wound the Alliance could never recover from, as opposed to a rallying cry. Sylvanas’ prior incarnations have been smart enough to recognize this.)

2 Likes

i really don’t understand why it was so hard to make the alliance morally gray, i would have loved more aggressive alliance characters doing shady stuff.

anduin is young he could easily had been manipulated by experienced commanders or more aggressive characters to take action on sylvanas/horde we could even have used azerite as an excuse, but retaking lordaeron could have worked too, in fact, we don’t need excuse.
the alliance don’t need neither motivation or reasons to attack the horde, the gathering fiasco could have been another excuse, we had plenty of options.
hell, we could have the vindicaar destroys undercity by mistake or something like that,teldrassil could have been an scorched earth tactic by malfurion just like in wc3.

but maybe that could not work because that would mean that the alliance would gain the upper hand in the war in an already underdog horde, so i don’t see how they could recover from that, maybe that is another problem, the alliance is supposed to be this superpower that needs to be countered by a number of tactics… and even with all of that, the alliance didn’t needed an atrocity of killing civilians to gain the advantage in 8.1.

tl’dr this war was a mistake i hope that it ends already.

They LITERALLY said they were going to do that in BFA before it was released. 2 Blizzcons ago, when they were saying BFA was going to be “morally grey”, they said Anduin was going to invade Lordaeron for bad reasons. Because he wanted to prove himself a big boy, and was bamboozled by the war hawks. But instead Blizz decided it would be more “interesting” if the Alliance was pure and perfect and boring, and the Horde were the badguy conflict drivers…like always.

21 Likes

Ya kind of my feelings as week.

Let me take a bit further, why do we need to raise dead allaince characters to have horde characters? Why not use actual horde characters? Not only do we horde pc feel like the bad guys just to be overwhelmed by the valiant hero’s, but we don’t even have anyone on our side excep raised NE who turned on their kin.

Is this the horde?

why did tryande need a power up? Wasn’t she allways one of the stronger characters on pair with Sylvanas? Where are the horde power house characters??? Why do our racial leader keep getting punched around?

What is there to be proud of as the horde? We don’t have motives, we don’t have a honorable military forces(uses under handed tactics like plague) we don’t have strong characters(like Jaina, Malfurion, tryande)

6 Likes

yeah, i remember, i remember all the interviews and lies "you will be surprised by who burned the tree :o "
now i guess that they are intending to make anduin the savior of the universe who will save both the horde and the alliance.
i don’t know who asked for that because sure as hell that i didn’t.

14 Likes

This is the real question to ask, isn’t it? Horde players who care about the New Horde which Thrall founded with Cairne and Vol’jin really don’t have anything to be proud of anymore. There was a time they could have hoped Saurfang would’ve saved the day, but now that he’s been with the Alliance he’s tainted goods. Anything Saurfang does for the Horde now comes with the convenient price tag of the Alliance. It’s worse than Thrall having been raised by humans and endowed with human virtues and ideals in the process. At least one could argue Thrall’s learning from humans wasn’t about how great they are. He literally took some of the good things about humanity and tried to incorporate them into orcish culture, and then found races that shared some of these values, making it easier to do so.

6 Likes

“Dude it’s PvP you have to go after the healer first” XD

3 Likes

i have an irrational hatred for blood knights (npcs, not the players)- im happy that belf pala was the first to bite it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

well she was the healer, you always gotta kill the healer first

3 Likes

The current story is irritating me.

I want to fight, I want a war. But I also don’t want to be the villain. I don’t want to be having a civil war. I don’t want to serve someone who clearly is only in it for herself and I don’t want to help the Alliance overthrow another of our Warchiefs.

Neither Saurfang or Sylvanas appeal to me. Darkshore seems like a lost cause altogether. From the very second we saw the Sylvanas cinematic I’ve been demoralised, knowing that we’re going to lose simply because we’re the bad guys.

If it doesn’t get better I’ll proably unsubscribe. I don’t want to continue with this plot and I don’t want to go Alliance.

8 Likes