Terrible FPS on M1 iMac

Hi. Just bought an M1 iMac 8 CPU cores, 8 GPU cores, 16 GB of RAM and 2 TB of storage. I am getting 40 to 50 FPS in Korthia, but it drops to 15 in the upper floor of Oribos and to 10 in the “waiting room” area of Torghast (the area where you actually enter the various wings). The FPS jumps around a lot and is rather choppy. The graphics defaulted to a setting of 2, so it’s very low already. I have no add ons, as it is a brand new install. Any thoughts? Suggestions? The game is not very enjoyable to play in its current state on my computer.

2 Likes

What resolution are you running at?

I have an M1 Mac mini with 16 Gigs of RAM and 512 Gig of storage. While my monitors are 1440P, I run the game using the 1920 x 1080 Window Size with 100% resolution scale. I am able to run at Graphics Setting 7 with very few difficulties. In fact, with the exception of Ardenweald, I pretty much run at 60 FPS. Even in Ardenweald, I rarely fall below 30 FPS. I see a slight drop in Oribos depending on the number of players (drop into the 40 FPS range then) but definitely never seen the behaviour you describe in Torghast waiting area.

If this is an iMac, I don’t believe you will be able to run at native panel resolution (4480 x 2520.) Even PCs with beefy graphic cards would have problems with that.

4480 by 2520. I clicked the “Recommended” button and it didn’t change. The resolution scale is 100 percent. The overall graphics quality is 2.

Click on the Window Size drop down and pick a lower resolution. There is no way the built in GPU can handle that kind of resolution. Like I said, even beefy video cards would have problems with that. Try dropping down to something close to 1920 x 1080 and see how the game handles then. Hopefully the system will scale down without too much loss to detail/blurriness.

I’m running window size 2560x1600, resolution 2275x1422, graphics setting on 8, most places I get 60 FPS, sometimes in Oribos, Ardenweald, world bosses and raids I drop down to 45 or so. M1 MacBook Pro, 256g hard drive and 16g RAM.

I did drop the resolution down to 50% and that seems to have helped enormously. Not sure why the recommended settings would have such a high resolution. I guess it’s the native resolution for the monitor. Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Yeah, I mean I don’t know, it’s kind of a mac thing to have ridiculously high resolutions (the whole retina thing), they can look nice but it’s a hell of a lot of pixels to drive. At time’s I’ve had to do just that, lower that setting.

Keep fiddling with it, recent patches to the game (and a very small external fan blowing on the aluminum case hotspot) have stabilized my fps.

Sorry for piggybacking on the topic, but overall are you guys happy with the M1 Macs?

Kind of debating upgrading from a 2017 i7 MBP. Wasn’t sure if an M1 Mini would be a better upgrade than an external GPU.

I don’t have an M1 mac so I can’t speak to your question about happiness, however the rumors point to new MBP and mini models coming soon, equipped with a so called “M1X” soc, with many more GPU cores for improved graphics performance over the M1.

If you can, I would wait to see what kind of performance those systems bring to the table before purchasing anything.

1 Like

I’m playing TBC, with the exact same M1 machine, and get 60 FPS on ultra 1440 on my thunderbolt display but I turn off 3 things: water, shadows, and sun.

those just kill your FPS and I honestly can’t appreciate the difference they make.