Technical Question: Latency

Say a smaller game wanted to increase its player pool for for instanced pve or pvp(dungeons/pvp/etc). Server A is in Los Angeles and Server B is in Paris. The time it takes to ping A to B is 155MS. If I put an instance server in New York what would my MS be for players in Los Angeles and players in Paris?

C. Johnny has 4 apples.

The direct physical distance between LA and Paris is roughly 9,794 Kilometers.

This means that your ping is traveling at 1 KM every .01582MS.

It is 3,944 KM from LA to New York and 5,850 KM from New York to Paris. Give or take a few Kilometers.

This would give players in LA a ping of 62.39 MS and players in Paris a ping of 92.54 MS if only distance was considered a factor for ping.

The actual route the connection cables between Paris and New York would take could result in a longer physical route, as well as the need to process the signal between different servers, routers, and other fun parts and parcels of the world of ISP’s.

The same can be said of the route from LA to New York.

There will also be a factor in how well each individual ISP that manages each branch of the connection does so, how they maintain their equipment and what status that equipment is in.

However, simply put, you’re looking at an ideal ping for LA Players at around 60 - 80, and an ideal ping for Parisians at 90 - 110 for a server in New York. Actual results will vary considerably.

Realistically, using a tunnel to optimise my route, I get approximately 150 ms to Chicago from Sweden. I suspect closer to 200 for LA.

I’d have to log in and check, but you do get held up a bunch.