Teach your mum how 2 play

Yo sup ppl,

I made this video guide to hopefully help extremely new players get into the basics of the game (literally moving your character) and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it for future guides etc. Its hard to look at it from my point of view and really know if its going to be effective because I’ve played the game for so long. I would absolutely love to know what any of y’all think!!

I really want to make WoW more accessible to newer players and create a “1 stop shop” space where I can send my friends or others who want to get into the game. I find myself teaching so many people the same things so many times and so I’ve decided to put together these guides.

I really appreciate it! Thanks all :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes
  1. better intro besides you brushing your teeth imo.
  2. maybe explain to people who probably doesn’t know what “strafe” is. like me when i first started playing wow i didn’t know wth that was. WoW was like my first 3D mmorpg. i’ve played maplestory for years prior there is literally just left and right as it’s a 2D side scroller mmorpg.

other then that i mean i like that it’s a short video. maybe make more video’s on other stuff for new players like what dungeons are, raids, M+, stats, etc…

i don’t personally move my character like that i still keyboard turn but then again i mostly stick to pve content and do fine. in pvp yea it is harder for me. maybe should reassure them as well that it takes time to learn not something people or all people easily pick up like me it took me years to learn wth im doing in this game. i say this because there are a lot of toxic players that can be discouraging to new players or people trying to learn.

2 Likes

I once wanted guild shirts in a guild that was personal, aka, my own, so I used two RaF accounts tied to my main account and had two characters of mine just afk in scenarios while I completed them. I ended up in the one that has all the hozen and you have to bring brew to the beach and also fight back the hozen.

long story short I kept failing and wasn’t fast enough so I had my mom handle the hozen on the beach. She was completely useless and when she finally learned how to move around and hit buttons she didn’t know how to stop the hozen. I still had her trying and eventually got it done.

Next time we start at level 1.

1 Like

How did the conversation go to start this?
“Mom, I’m in big trouble and need help like I never needed it before…” “Sure honey, what is it?” Pulls out keyboard

1 Like

Basicly,mom looked at the game turned round and left the room even seeing pandas. She really couldn’t understand it at all.

Thank you! I really appreciate this.

LOL love this story

1 Like

Is there a guide to teaching mums to use the mouse to move? Mine plays a gnome rogue and she’s not doing badly, but she’s struggling to time all of the +15s. It’s awful watching her overshoot her target, turn 180 degrees around with her ‘A’ key and then wade back over to stab it in the back of the knee with her lil daggers.

Is self promotion allowed on the forums?

My sons taught me when I was 53, hadn’t touched a video game except pac-man & Oregon Trail. I remember running into barrels in Mop starting zone!

The WASD never worked for me moving plus I couldn’t alt tab for extra abilities. I have RA so I can’t use a bunch of buttons on my mouse (kills my thumb), but I do have 5.

All my abilities are on the keybinds on the left. I use the mouse to move forward, backwards & strife. The combination gets me left or right. The roller thing picks and clicks targets. Tab is for target of target in dungeons. H is for running without stopping, and squiggly thing above tab is for mount up.

I’ll watch the video in a bit. Good idea. There’s still a lot I don’t understand about dungeons, and terminology.

Most videos and even Wowhead suggestions are made with high-end players in mind. There are a lot of us who don’t care and no “simple” instructions on how to play, rotation, ect before one even gets all the abilities and talents.

I also didn’t know I could enchant items, or even transmog or what a tier set was.

The people in videos usually talk too fast, or too slow and incomplete - sometimes the accents don’t help.

I have a legendary that has been in my bag forever somehow dubiously tied to doing Torghast or Twisting Corridors (which I vhf thought were the same thing,) fifty million times.

I don’t have time to research for hours and play.

Just some current issues. Also explain currencies. Go slow, but not too slow. We’re not morons, just unfamiliar with something we’ve never done.

Oh - also mention using YouTube videos and to look at date and view amount and length to get an idea of which one would be best to view when stuck on a quest.
And if directing to Wowhead explain that place. It seems super organized at first glance but one ends up hitting the back button and opening so many duplicate tabs of pages it’s ridiculous.

Good luck!!! :butterfly:

1 Like

No, but might let this slide for a little bit to help newbies…??? It won’t stay.

Okay, critique time. The brushing teeth may be an attempt at a natural, comfortable beginning but just sitting down at your desk would achieve a better result.

That was too fast and unclear. You mention a lot of keys really fast. You don’t say “W” moves you forward. Running around really fast and saying, “now you can play like a pro” didn’t leave me with anything but my head in a whirl.

Just moving should be explained step by step - and alternatives on how using the mouse works or can work.

I would have had a quick bullet point of 1. W = forward ect. Use your camera to show a simple mouse and possibilities. Show where to go in the WoW game interface to set keybinds. DO NOT throw out a bunch of terms/abilities specific to certain classes that “assume” a newbie recognizes.

After watching I’m honestly not sure if this is a joke on the forum or you’re serious. Running around like that did nothing as a tutorial.

There is so much key bloat on some classes that not putting some that are not used frequently need to be there to click. Unless one has mastered the alt tab to change to second keyboard binds.

You mention 6 like it’s a throw away. Unless one has played a video game before they don’t even know why there would a debate. Just an fyi - my interrupt has been there from the beginning for every character that my hand is used to moving quickly.

You need to “show and tell.” There’s no showing. A lot of throwing out terms one can barely make out what you’ve just said. Also saying, “it takes practice, use an open area, then run around SW or Org - don’t beat yourself up, you’ll get better with practice.”

You need to sound like you know how to teach, not another random person trying to set up another YouTube channel.

1 Like

alright now make a guide on how to teach people to become rank 1 in pvp and world first mythic clear.

thnx.

lmao xD
I told her I needed her help on my game and to stop the monkeys at all costs

“DWA” good we don’t use S anymore. no backpeddling unless you rp.

Psh… this mom has played since before most of you were born… probably… lol… Nice video. Hi Hazels friend.

1 Like

I tried this with my mom once and made her a Blood Elf. She ended up running off the coast and swimming out off to the middle of the sea, bless her heart.

The main problem is that the controls can be super disorienting to those who don’t play these types of games.

My parents don’t play games, they are too busy constantly planning their next vacation. Retirement is hard work!