TD script legality?

So, after becoming madly addicted to pet battles and discovering an easy way to spam trainers for pet exp, I wanted to ask, as the title states, if TD script is a legal addon to use? I asked a gm but, the answer was simply ‘read the ToS’ but, I don’t know what I’m looking for tbh.

The reason I ask this is solely because it runs a script and I don’t want to be penalised nor banned for it.

Can anyone chime in and let me know? I’d greatly appreciate it.

Scripts are fine, because you still have to hit a button for each move. If you totally automated it, with no button pressing, that would be against ToS.

3 Likes

IMO TD Script falls under the “unsupported” and “grey area” section. You do still have to push buttons, so not quite botting (probably not actionable/won’t get banned). But Blizzard could easily choose to change their code, which might break the addon, because it’s not how they intended Pet Battles to be played.

I don’t use it myself, but I know a lot of players use TD Script and have yet to hear anyone get suspended or banned specifically for using it.

3 Likes

Yes, it is legal. In-game addons are only able to call lua functions which Blizzard has made available to addon developers. If Blizzard doesn’t like an addon, they simply break or modify key functions the addon relies on, like they did with AVR back in ICC, or like how they made AH addons require a user input before performing any transaction on the AH.

1 Like

Ah awesome, thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I’ll stress a little less. The only use I get out if it is purely spamming the same trainer repeatedly for pet exp.

Really loving pet battles atm. Never thought I would but, totally converted :sunglasses:

1 Like

Scripts are totally legal so long as you are still sitting there pressing a button for each action.

Great to hear you are enjoying pet battles. Do post here whenever you have questions, suggestions or anything you’d like to discuss.

1 Like

Thanks so much and sure will! So far I’ve collected quite a few pets and am pushing for more. I’ve been watching discodoggy and hiru for tips and team building for pvp so, I’m hoping to jump into the scene real soon. Those guys are great and kudos to them for posting videos.

Really digging the unique move sets and combining 3 pets with these move sets in mind to make a successful team. I think blizzard has done a great job there.

So far I have to say I like magic pets most. They have great visual aesthetics and I enjoy the abilities. While I know I need to mix up the classes a bit, these guys just rock imo :grin:

2 Likes

The WoW api for add-ons is fairly solid. If an add-on is using Wow’s api you can assume it’s not against the ToS.

If an add-on is using an api to do something Blizzard later decides must stop, Blizz will mark the functions private and after that, everyone using it will get nasty errors. Still not a ToS violation to try using them.

Things that are against ToS is to modify the wow executable files or have a 3rd party app take control of wow and interact with it instead of a human (commercial quality assurance testing software is designed to do just that with programs).

Stuff like the TD scripts are ok because ultimately it only does what WoW allows it to do.

2 Likes