TCG Mounts and pets

Greetings and Salutations, I am Guifonrider the Insane!

Long ago, I purchased a card bestowing upon me the right to ride my beloved turtle mount. I wanted to see what the current thoughts were on if these TCG codes would be available to ‘reuse’ on the classic servers. It was used on my current account, which is the account I will be using for Classic, so in theory it wouldn’t be using the code twice… But that will be up to Blizzard to determine.

Also as a side note, I wasn’t able to get the TCG back in retail vanilla so I wanted ask if the Riding Turtle would be a solo character mount (i.e. the character that uses the code gets the mount) or if a ‘copy’ of the mount was mailed to each character on the account that the code was used. (I fully understand that mounts were items back then and took up bag space. Just wanted to see how much thought I had to put in to which character would use the code, if it turns out the code is valid for Classic)

Thank you all for your time,

~ Guifonrider the Insane

If I recall correctly, the sparkle pony from the store was the first mount that sent copies to each of your characters, and I believe that was added in Wrath. I would not expect to be able to use a particular mount on more than one character in Classic, but I don’t pretend to know one way or another. Interesting question whether TCG codes would be valid in Classic if they had already been used in retail. I wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t allowed, either. We will have to wait on Blizz for an answer.

If it wasn’t available in vanilla it won’t be in classic.

U can start there.

2 Likes

This is going to be a very touchy subject. Let’s hope people keep it constructive.

I think the solution to keep everyone as happy as possible is to not introduce them back until MUCH later into Classic’s life—if not until some kind of Classic+ (or expansion for example) comes out.

Personally I don’t care, however I think it would take away from the overall Classic aesthetic if there’s random retail mounts here and there, even if they were available in Vanilla.

WoW. Way to derail the thread and not answer his question at all. Did you bother to actually read what he was asking?

For the OP: They haven’t made any statement about the TCG loot cards that were released during vanilla. The original 3 loot cards are weird. The card to get your mount was available during vanilla in the 1.12 patch, but the NPC to get your mount wasn’t put in until the 2.0.3 patch (TBC pre-patch). So it would be up to whether or not the 2.0 patch is counted as classic or TBC. Because while we had some of the changes, we didn’t have the expansion, it wasn’t released yet. Part of it would depend on what version of the game Blizzard sees that patch as being. It came around at a really weird time.

How it would probably work though, is that it would be character specific if you’re allowed to reuse your code.

3 Likes

How did I not answer the question?

Does BLIZZARD consider the 2.0.3 patch as a part of the not yet released expansion, or classic? TBC didn’t go live until a week after the NPC was added in the game. Technically, both the loot card and the NPC were around during vanilla. But it’s all up to if BLIZZARD considers the pre-patches as a part of the current expansion or part of the next expansion.

Well one person has claimed that when the system first went live, you didn’t need Landro , you would get the item after entering the code on the site, but I could not find any proof that was the case.

What was the patch number for the TBC pre-patch?

Did it start with a “1” (which would be Vanilla) or a “2” (which would be TBC)?

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments :smiley:
I checked on WoWhead and found the current retail Riding Turtle page. It had a link to the ClassicWoWhead item Riding Turtle. Judging by the dates of comments and referenced patch numbers in said comments, it looks as though this mount WAS available before the BC xpac. There are several comments from 2006 referencing patch 1.12.1

(unfortunately i got a warning saying i cannot include links in my posts. its <item=23720/riding-turtle> in the classic.wowhead area)

Still will be up to blizzard in the long run… but wanted to share that and clear up the ‘not in vanilla, not in classic’ debate.

Thank you again everyone :smiley:

https://classic.wowhead.com/item=23720/riding-turtle#comments

Yes there are lots of comments of it from 1.12

But for as far as I have seen Blizz hasn’t reacted to including anny tcg items obtained in retail vanilla to be included in classic.

Apart from the bound to account first 3 pets.

Thank you for the addition of the link :smile:

With Blizzard allowing the CE pets for redemption in Classic they have set a precedent. I think in regards to TCG it’s not a question of “what if”, but "when?"

In my opinion I would argue to not add TCG code redemption to Classic WoW until TBC Classic is released and only allow loot from Heroes of Azeroth Expansion up to Drums of War Expansion.

The website did not grant the TCG loot items or negate the need for Landro.

The code on the card had to be “redeemed” on a website, yes.

When “redeeming” the code, the redeemer had to select a server on which the item would be “granted”.

The website then generated a second code which had to be given to Landro on the selected server.

Once this second code was given to Landro, the item would be placed in the player’s bags.

According to this page, the driving turtle was not added to the game until patch 2.0.0.5462.

The same patch was when the hippogryph hatching and tabard of flame were added to the game.

I’m curious as to how these items were available during vanilla when they apparently were not even in the game at that time.

1 Like

yah i know all that,lol, that’s why I just relayed what one poster had claimed and then said I found nothing to support it.:O)

you are technically correct: the turtle on the link you posted was released in 2.0.0

however, there is a link on that same page that states ‘Looking for the Classic version of this item? View it in the Classic WoWhead database!’

when you click that, you are taken to the vanilla version which was a white item. in the same place where you found your release version, you will see the white item’s release patch of 1.13.0.28211
(much like the link posted by Mergons a few posts back)

Now, why there are comments referring to it in the 1.12.1 patch, i do not know. But if you are going to come in this late in a post with information that has already been established, at least try to thoroughly check yourself.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post and repeating things you already know. If so, I apologize in advance for the confusion.

1.13.x was not a vanilla patch. If I am not mistaken, 1.13 is the designation given to Classic.

If you are saying that the turtle exists as a white item in the database for the upcoming Classic, allow me to remind you of the many things that have bern datamined and shown on various sites that never made it to live.

I’m not saying that it will not exist in the Classic database, as it very well may exist. Even if it exists in the database, though, that does not necessarily mean it will be able to be obtained.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the original TCG items were purple. Not one of them was a white item.

If you check the other TCG items from the first batch of Card’s, you will see that they were also added in that 2.x patch that saw the riding turtle added. None of those items were actually able to be obtained in vanilla.

As to the comments posted referencing patch 1.12.1, I did not read all of the comments for the mount, but is it possible that they were questioning how to obtain the mount or saying that they had acquired the loot card and not saying that they had actually obtained the mount in game?

So the 2.0.1 patch was TBC, so that means we were able to go into outland a month before TBC was released? The expansion didn’t go live until after the 2.0.5 patch. But I’m sure you, obviously a worker on Blizzard’s design team, know exactly how BLIZZARD designates the 2.0.3 patch between vanilla and TBC.

If u want to be so dificult about it then no it wasn’t tbc and no it wasn’t vanilla.

Still isn’t vanilla.