TBC - Hunter Pet not able to hold aggro

There seems to be issues with Pets especially in Outland.

Pet pathing seems to be off.

But most importantly Pets cannot seem to be able to hold Aggro with growl rank 7 60+, on same level and even lower mobs than the pet.

It is not normal that Pet goes in uses all its abilities and Growl and 10 seconds in to build more aggro and then on the first Steady shot the mob switches target, and is never re-acquired by the pet.

Something is amiss here.

Oh and there seems to be some ghost latency issue too going on…

2 Likes

I too have been thinking my pet should hold aggro better. It’s mostly to the point I need to just auto and never use any special shots at all which is not what I did in TBC after waiting a good 10 seconds or more to begin with. Others say the aggro is “just fine” - mostly people that use cat pets. I use a boar, and I used a boar most of the time originally as well.

2 Likes

Some pets are better for holding aggro depending on their family and type - like gorillas or turtles, where others are more focused on dps like Ravagers or Cats.

Imagine, having a turtle pet is like having a prot warrior with you, whereas a Ravager or cat is like having a rogue with a taunt, if that makes sense. If you start dealing more damage than your pet and Growl is on cooldown or your pet hasn’t built up enough aggro, then you will pull it. I suggest downloading a threat meter to show you how your a managing your aggro when playing with your pet so you can get used to that playstyle :slight_smile:

Owl or Bat with max rank Screech seems to give tanks a good run for their money and even out-threat others. I have a bird pet specifically with rank 5 Screech for world farming for this reason.