TBC Classic 2.5.3 Client, system crash

Even before the 2.5.3 update, when I launched TBC Classic, my fan kicked into High Gear.
As far as performance, it isn’t bad, but the Colors of Water is WAY OFF. Like Bright Blue water in Shadowmoon Valley, and yellow water in Terrokar Forest.

Some of you who recently installed Monterey (learning it doesn’t have crash), keep in mind that after any large update like that, system may run worse for several hours/rest of day do to time machine or spotlight or other system services consuming cpu in background after the update

I would first open activity monitor and make sure cpu is not tied up elsewhere before making a final determination performance is worse.

Yeah, my fans ran pretty high most of the time before as well. But I got decent FPS and could raid. The performance is so bad it’s nearly unplayable now, possibly even worse than forcing wow to use the intel graphics.

Just to add, I’m playing on very low graphics settings.

Think we’ll get a blue reply anytime soon? Switching to the Intel GPU is so bad, I’m getting 30 FPS just idling in shatt, when I start to play it goes even lower.

The game is essentially unplayable in it’s current state.

1 Like

Yup, even before these issues and since the launch of Vanilla classic when I came back to the game, WOW has done a number on my Mac laptops which are top of the line 2017 and 2019 models. Truly remarkable that the game runs worse on these machines than it did on my 2009 MacBook back in the day.
edit: Yes, I run no other applications, absolute minimum settings, use an external cooling system, and still get awful FPS in raids during AOE and an overheated computer.

Would love a blue post on this issue.

1 Like

Is there any update on this? For many of us, the game is just unplayable now.

1 Like

So we have a macbook pro 2019 with same specs as quite a few people her e, upgrading to monterey has allowed us to play but im pretty sure the game is using the intel inegreated chipset and not the dedicated graphics chipset , its a damm nightmare.

1 Like

macOS Catalina 10.15.7
MBP 16,1
2.3ghz i9
16gb ram
AMD 5500M, 8gb

Same problem as everyone else–hard freeze when trying to launch TBC classic. I opened a ticket.

1 Like

This has actually been happening to me since the release of Season of Mastery. TBC still worked though, but now that the new patch came out I am getting the frozen loading screen again and have to hard reset my MacBook.

Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Please help I have been having the wow itch again and would like to play before my subscription expires. (Cancelled due to this issue) :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

Hey all,

I haven’t touched this thread as I didn’t have news to share and I’m afraid I still don’t have much to add. It looks like this is still being looked into and possibly a patch coming out, yet no idea when. Figured I’d let everyone know we’re still tracking this. The only workarounds look to be upgrading the OS to Monterey or Big Sur or forcing the game to use the Intel GPU. I know both of these aren’t ideal but needed to summarize what we know. I’ll update this thread again if I hear more.

I appreciate all the replies and patience while this is sorted out for our Mac users.

7 Likes

Not sure if it’s just me but it seems M1 Pro MacBook Pro’s are also having issues with wow not launching.

M1 Pro
16 GB
1 TB

When I try to launch game nothing happens and activity monitor just says that game is unresponsive.

Also, here is one of my crash report ID’s…
0DF1A793-FE76-4F95-93A7-977BED304263

Thanks in advance,
Muze ~

Yep. M1 MacBook here and still the normal WoW client (not even Classic) sits there not doing anything and reports as unresponsive.

2017 15" MBP
macOS Monterey 12.2
16 GB RAM
GPUs: Radeon Pro 560 (4 GB) and Intel HD 630

Yesterday (Feb. 8) after maintenance, I launched the Battle.net app and it got stuck trying download an update. I relaunched the app a few times and the update still wouldn’t begin downloading. I restarted my Mac and was able to successfully launch and play TBC Classic.

Today, I launched the Battle.net app and clicking launch opened the WoW app, but nothing happened afterwards. I force quit the app. Here’s what else I’ve tried and the results.

• Moved WoW folder to trash and attempted to reinstall. Download gets stuck on first step (Fetching data indices).
  • Moved Battle.net app to the trash, redownload Battle.net setup app. Setup app freezes on launch and have to force quit.
  • Tried both of the above with VPN on and off, and iCloud Private Relay on and off - no change in behavior.

Shortly after I posted the above message, I was able to launch the TBC classic client and play WoW. Today, I played for a few hours on and off.

Well, just now, my Battle.net client won’t launch. Well, it tries to open, but it keeps bouncing in the Dock until I force quit it.

I’ve been able to get on a couple times. But just now I’m back to the WoW Client just bouncing until it gives up.

Was this fixed with the patch last night - 2.5.3 42328? I was able to launch it today without the Intel graphics line! And i’m back to getting 200+ FPS instead of 30.

It launches and I can play. But eventually it will still lock up the entire machine. It could be hours later. So there is still a bug but it’s not immediate. (On Catalina w/AMD 5500M)

Just chiming in that I have no new news on this. The bug looks to be open still with little info I can access to know what else may be going on. I do see some reports were added since my last reply here. Not sure I can get an update, but will post here should I hear anything. In the mean time, please keep the reports coming here if TBC is crashing and the system has an AMD GPU.

As for a workaround, seems all we’ve seen working is to force the Intel GPU to be used instead or upgrading the MacOS to something higher than Catalina, i.e. Big Sur or Monterey.

Hi everyone,

Just want to update you that I have been able to play Classic TBC again and I am still running Catalina. It has been a little laggier than usual, but maintainable. I’m not sure if it was a new update, but I tried on Thursday 02/24 and everything has been fine. I have yet to play for more than two hours though, but will be testing out a full day tomorrow. Time to play catch up.

Order has been restored for now.