Tar monster stupid question

I know i am not a great player, but I keep trying.

Looking for advice on how to deal with that tar monster in the vaults with my DEvoker.

If I run to avoid the spewing tar, I cannot cast and I run into the mobs around him making things worse.

I tried kiting the mobs to the entrance way, but they get to half health, then kite back to where they were, fully healed.

Also found out that if I hide behind the wall of the entryway to try to heal, the main guy’s health resets.

I am clueless in what I can do here. Any advice?

Edit: Thank you all, for the advice. It was the mobs that were really the issue. The suggestion of hugging the wall and taking them out was the trick. After that, the tar monster was not difficult and I got through it.

What’s your iLVL?

2 Likes

Can you not scoot around it to get up the spider webs or whatever and reach the upper levels? I know I managed to avoid the mob in the middle of the room most of the time and so far I’ve not had any issues with it. I took my fairly poorly geared hunter there earlier today and killed it fairly easily. But BM Hunters are very handy because their pets can keep a mob off me most of the time.

1 Like

I’m not an evoked but if I were you I would try killing the side mobs first without pulling them to the entrance. Try sticking to the perimeter near where they are. That way the shouldn’t go into evade and back to spawn.

1 Like

My ilevel is 383.

I was trying that, but cannot kill them fast enough without getting hit by the tar guy or dodging into the entire group.

May have to work on my timing maybe.

Oh, i was able to get to the upper levels with no problem. I have the elevator, so that wasn’t the problem.

Since killing that thing was one of the quests, i figured i would ask.

Did find a couple of stones that gave me some shield buffs, so might try that to see if it mitigates enough damage that i can whittle things down.

And get more keys in the meantime. :slight_smile:

Wish I could be of more hope I have no evoker experience. And honestly saw the tar guy for first time today. Pretty sure I just meleed the side mobs first then killed the tar.

oh right. I can only suggest you buff up as much as possible, take health pots etc, and kill the outside things first so you dont run into them. Just take it easy, watch your cooldowns and keep mobile.

I’ll be honest and say if you cannot kill that thing at 383 it’s a skill issue.

Disclaimer: i have not gone into the vault yet so i have no idea on the mechanics, but here are my initial thoughts

• if you hover you can cast while moving, would you be able to kite circles near him with hover without pulling extra mobs?
  • landslide can root the adds if they’re not immune, buying you time
  • can you sleepwalk the monster for a few seconds to pseudo interrupt the thing you’re kiting?
  • renewing blaze is a great button, maybe letting yourself get hit by the attack and healing back 100% of the damage from blaze?

I only play pres so i’m not very helpful, but maybe you’ll be inspired and think of something you forgot with my list

1 Like

If you stay up against the perimeter wall, you won’t aggro or get hit by the Tar Beast.
Pull the mob that’s moving around the room first by itself and then the 2 guys together. Do the tar guy last.

It worked for one of my low level Alts. Good Luck.

1 Like

Thank you for this!

I will definitely look at that more closely, these are really helpful suggestions.

What really annoys me is my Pres Evoker can take on things my Dest cannot, mostly because of the self heals.

Clearly i am not using my abilities effectively which I knew but couldn’t figure out. This will help me loads.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you. I will definitely give that a shot. Thank you so much for the advice.

My evoker is 390 and I did it just fine, not sure what ur doing wrong tho without actually seeing it.

I’ve opened 4 vaults so far (2 this week, 2 last week) and all of them had a potion that increased your hp by 300% but reduced movement speed in the room in the middle on the first floor. Maybe I’m just lucky, but i think it spawns there each time. Could definitely be wrong though. If it’s there it should make killing them all pretty easy, you’d have to get the door open first tho.

Kill the 3 little guys before taking on the big guy

If the potion isn’t there, or you can’t get the door open, try taking Renewing Blaze if your not talented into it already. it’s pretty nice for self heals, and you should be able to keep dpsing while it heals you passively. you can cast while moving during Hover for trying to kite things. Also I don’t remember what it’s called but on the choice talent that decreases Quell’s cd you can grab a perk that makes your spells heal yourself for more iirc, if you still can’t get it.

1 Like

Thank you for this.

I didn’t find any potions like what you found behind the 9 doors I could open, but did find other buffs.

I will definitely look at my talents again, as I was sure I have been missing or misunderstanding things.

Will definitely try this and see how things go.

Thank you again.

Don’t forget, you can move and cast while using hover. I would spec into time spiral so you get more hover time.

I would also try to clear out the edges of the room if you can since the middle resets, might as well get rid of the little guys first. This will give you more wiggle room. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

When in doubt, just go preservation and heal yourself. Sure it will take longer, but assuming you don’t instantly die, all you have to do is a little bit of dps and eventually your enemy will die.

1 Like

This… Skirt around the room and kill these guys. If you do aggro the main mob in the middle, run up the stairs and only that mob will follow all the way. Kill him on the stairs.

1 Like