Tanks don't want to rely on healers

I’m saying it should be one factor, not the factor. Damage intake scales faster than every other factor in M+, this was counteracted somewhat by tanks healing relative to the damage they take. Remove that and it’s the healers who are hitting their wall before anyone else.

It’s not like there aren’t potent HPS checks littered throughout M+ as well.

8 Likes

You don’t heal a DK based on their health, you do it based upon their runic power for the most part.

4 Likes

This game basically has to have healers because Blizzard made the decision 20 years ago to have the holy trinity of MMO roles. Getting rid of any of the three roles is just too big of a change to make in a game this old. That’s more of a WoW 2 decision.

3 Likes

This kinda feels like you’re ignoring the stated goals of the change in philosophy. When tanks can survive an insanely large amount of damage compared to everybody else, then yeah, anybody else getting hit will probably die instantly.

The whole point is to bring tanks down a bit so overall damage doesn’t have to annihilate any non-tank who brushes up against it.

11 Likes

I mean as long as group play is essential for success, someone else will be the part of the issue for failure.

Why is it such an issue if tanks now need healers? It’s not like the group will succeed anyway if healers cannot heal.

7 Likes

I think tanks are mainly just worried of a repeat of Season 1 Shadowlands, where (and correct me if I’m wrong here) tanks were taking so much damage that they spent that season kiting mobs around instead of actually, you know, tanking.

Some people might have that extreme "I don’t ever want to need any healing’ attitude, but I think more of them are just worried that Blizzard will go overboard and now tanks have to run for their lives.

9 Likes

But kiting is still a relevant skill, (bolstering weeks.) Yea, I know it’s going away. But there are benefits in doing so.

3 Likes

My expectation is all that happens is we just play VDH, pop meta, build threat for 20 seconds, and then try to cleave it all down with a frost mage slowing everything before the tank runs out of space.

That’s what we did last time they tried this, everyone hated it, and they spent the next 3 patches rebuffing tanks to where they were.

11 Likes

Yea, this doesn’t sound like fun. I was thinking: what if mob melee hits tickled, and tanks are just there for positioning purposes. In the process, they don’t need to be demigods.

Would it change much if say a boss takes 5 hits to kill a priest even?

2 Likes

It’s called being OP, and it’s always temporary. Not only that, but all the complaints for months about chain pulling tanks didn’t help.

You’ve had your time, now it’s someone else’s turn.

10 Likes

Maybe they’ll do a better job after learning something from the last attempt? I wouldn’t know, I didn’t really play any Shadowlands content because shadowlands was bad.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I just think a lot of tank players I’ve seen on social media are worried that they’ll have to kite everything, including in ordinary keys like their vault keys. As opposed to kiting the 2x bolstered trash in their +18 key.

1 Like

You could argue that mobs are designed to be fought two packs at a time, but because people can do six with kiting, they’ll do six with kiting.

So at a point, it’s also a community inflicted problem.

9 Likes

you arent going to get many responses from this forum that are within the context of endgame content. half these guys play lfr and do world content. not that theres anythying wrong with that, it just isnt really who this change is targeted at or who is affected by it. this change is absolutely going to be catastrophic to keys this season. s1 of shadowlands was absolutely miserable, and this is going to be 200x worse. the incoming dmg profiles during shadowlands was non existent. tanks took way more dmg, but nothing else really did that much dmg. tww will be the exact opposite. everyone is going to be getting trucked, including the tank, and the healers arent going to be able to do anything about it

this is absolutely a result of some vision that Ion has that the game needs to be brutally difficult. the developers from path of exile are the exact same way, which is why they are constantly pushing ruthless, though nobody wants to play it. its ego driven.

8 Likes

I think if this goes live tanks will think twice when pulling since they are no longer invincible, this will help make a better experience since now a lot of tanks are pulling more than the group can handle because they know they won’t die or need much healing.

13 Likes

Without dps to kill things, we are nothing.

2 Likes

No, you can bring 20 tanks and killl stuff or 5 tanks do lower keys.

I don’t want to rely on my healer for basic pull survival, and I’m a multi-KSM player. I want to pull at my pace, and while external rotations are critical for mass pulls in ultra-high keys, if I’m just looking to get a weekly done, I do NOT want to have my ability to smoothly clear the dungeon be impacted by a sandbaging healer.

Add in that healers have the lowest skill floor in the game, and tend to get boosted way above their skill, and making tanks reliant on healers during moment to moment is a recipe for disaster.

When your average PUG healer starts doing damage during empty globals, instead of overhealing me when I have runic power, then I’ll start to trust them with my survival.

12 Likes

Add in that healers have the lowest skill floor in the game, and tend to get boosted way above their skill, and making tanks reliant on healers during moment to moment is a recipe for disaster.

Are you sure this is not dps?

Like the tank is the only one that needs to have a clue, and when they do, they can solo quite a bit.

When your average healer starts doing damage during empty globals, instead of overhealing me when I have runic power, then I’ll start to trust them with my survival.

Because I don’t trust death knights, and they just wasted purgatory, so they died 2 mins later, from a 10k hp overkill.

8 Likes

The problem is that tanks don’t require healers to live.

In mythic raid and m+ we pretty much never heal a tank apart from the odd big hit.

This means that with good tanks 3 healing is much more of a thing and in m+ no healer keys are the meta.

So the only other option is to put more damage on the dps which is spikier and way more stressful for new healers.

9 Likes