Tanking services

Taking all the unwanted loot in a run is even more scummy than charging gold.

If you dont find the instance fun dont run it. Ruining your reputation with half the server you are on over greed is ridiculous to me and boggles my mind.

this is a bs excuse… roll an ALT if it breaks your heart to play your tank…
pleasefool, it takes easily HALF the time to level a tank than it does DPS, now that your 60 and bored you are gonna work over other players?

yes you are lame as hell, yes you are a punk for pimping yourself, and YES, you should respec and play fury…

That basically means they’re not as desperate as you were hoping.

You’re asking four people to get absolutely nothing out of a dungeon besides a possible upgrade dependent on RNG. I’m not really surprised you’ve got a lack of takers.

You say that as if somehow it makes it better that you expect to come out of that dungeon many gold better off while not letting four other players come out with anything more than a random chance at an upgrade.

Your time isn’t the only time worth something. You need those other players to get into the dungeon and kill the bosses (or you’d be soloing them and not even missing out on the wanted loot from boss drops). You need their time. You’re not showing that you value that at all.

End opinion: You can offer tanking services all you want. No one is obligated to accept your terms and conditions. People are more than welcome to consider you whatever adjectives they feel apply.

Gotta disagree. He doesn’t need them to do those dungeons as he doesn’t need to do the dungeons. He’s offering to be a very good tank for a price, on something he gets nothing from.

He’s selling peace of mind, with a stress free tank. You’d have otherwise been looking for 30 min-2 hours for a tank anyways depending on what you wanted to do. After that you’re not even sure if you’re getting a good tank that’s actually decently geared. Everyone pitches in 5g, you get a good tank right now. I find that fair.

That random chance at an upgrade is more than enough incentive to run a dungeon. You act like people don’t raid and pay gold in repairs from wipes, and spend an entire 4-5 hour period for a chance at upgrades. Gear is the point, most people aren’t running dungeons to try and get rich.

More that I act like it isn’t enough incentive for me. I run dungeons for fun, for the overall loot we might get (coin and drops), and the chance for an upgrade is just a bonus.

I’m not saying he needs those dungeons for the same reasons, but that the reason he “needs” them is to maximize his gold earning. Odds are that if he had some other way he could get that much gold, he’d be doing that instead.

I’m not condemning the choice. I just think it’s funny to frame it as wrong that other players choose not to accept his terms and conditions and opt not to include him in their groups, even though they clearly want a tank. They’d rather find a less skilled tank than waste their own time running a dungeon with a good chance they have nothing (but the split coin off mobs) to show for it.

That’s correct, but tanks are rare and there’s a market for them. Therefore a tanks time is valuable, much more so than a healers like myself, and especially a DPS.
We actually need more tanks on the market so more dungeons can be completed, so more players have the chance to get what they need. If payment gets them in there, then that’s great for the community.
It’s why I’m here right now defending the topic though I make no profit off of this myself.

Because the moment you find an ungeared tank, cool. Now the next group over is going to have to try and find a tank, but that tank is with you guys. So now they’ve got to hope another is either finishing the dungeon, or logging in. Because you were already spamming for a tank for 30 min’ with no takers, meaning there’s none running right now… See the problem with that?

There’s a break point where that market decides a tank’s time isn’t THAT valuable. OP has managed to find it.

ROFL

It does pretty much zippo for “community”. The tank role is merely a commodity to buy or sell. Might as well be 2 Black Lotus on the AH for all the community it builds.

(This is actually why I don’t really care about tanks advertising their services. My community is an accumulation of friends who enjoy doing things together. Need a tank? One of us probably has a tank and is happy to do a group thing with everyone else. We have yet to ever sit in a city or a chat channel spamming our need for a tank.)

Cool, at that moment in time. Or maybe he found a batch of players that are like you, and get pissed by the thought that another specialization can profit off demand for them.

Yeah, because these tanks staying off market and pushing that 30 min-2 hour window even further is great for the community.

This doesn’t happen often on Bigglesworth for example on horde. I literally offer to heal Scholo/Strat UD, and don’t find a tank for an hour and a half or more at times.

You being in a better position than others doesn’t mean everyone should suffer.

Ya know. This thread confirmed my next character. I wasn’t really sure if it was doing to be a Healer or Tank, but I think it will be Tank.

Not so I can Charge, but quite the opposite. So I can stalk LFG looking for people who are Charging, and Offer to tank groups for free instead.

2 Likes

Awesome, that’s nice of you. I’d still prob’ tip you, but like I’ve been saying. We need more tanks in the community. If you want to sacrifice your time for others, that’s what’s called noble, mate.

Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean I disagree with tanks for hire, merc’ tanks also help the community. I also don’t look down on them, as we all need gold.

No doubt. Though I wouldn’t accept the tip. I’d just ask that they pay it forward and help others in need.

MMO’s to me are about community, and building each other up. It’s all for the cause!

I personally don’t like this. I often give people free potions, or pass them a few gold when they do something decent. That’s my way of paying people forward. If you help someone, let them show their gratitude. Take the tip, man. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol. If they insisted, I won’t turn it down twice. That would be rude.

Way I look at it, you and I are a part of the community as well. When you get offered help, or given a tip, that’s a good sign for the community. Means people are willing to help you, just like you’re willing to help them. Helps create and strengthen the idea of mutualistic relationships.

I can get down with that. I’m usually satisfied with a simple thank you lol, but if someone’s chosen way to show appreciation is to toss me a couple gold, it would be rude to turn it down.

1 Like

The best gold per hour for a tank is doing SM cath carries. You get 7g a run at 11-12 minutes a run, and you get to keep all the loot. Works out to 80g an hour at least. Make sure there is someone in the group to pick up the loot for you once your bags get full. You do need to be very competent though, and you need to find 4 frost mages who wanna speed level

1 Like

I dont understand people who fight it or find it scummy.

On my alt one time it was super late on a weeknight so we couldnt find a tank except a max level one who would clear it for us in exchange for keeping drops that were not upgrades for us.

All drops.

Of course we agreed as its better to finish quests and give away useless greens than to stand around doing nothing. Yet as soon as the run starts and the first useless green goes to the 60 tank people in the group (the same ones that happily agreed to the deal in the first place) start complaining…

I do not understand it. Its like… you could have protested 10 minutes ago before the guy traveled across Azeroth to get here.

Supply and demand is a thing. I have no issues with it. Im not owed anything from anyone elses play time.

2 Likes

No Thanks!

While leveling, I need money too. I got Skills to learn, and I got a Mount to buy.

No where else in the world you could have gone to quest? No mobs you couldn’t grind together? Nothing at all you could do?!

Typically only people leveling mage alts have enough gold to access these services