Tanking pets question

Hey, recently I’ve leveled a Shadow Priest from my Guardian Druid. This means that me and my buddy no longer have a tank while doing open world content.

He’s a Demo Lock and we’ve been messing around with having his pets tank… but they suck. What’s the deal?

I remember years ago when I was playing my lock, the Felguard could tank just fine unless you REALLY went ham. But then you could just stop dpsing for 2-3 seconds and he’d pick the aggro back up. But now a day’s it doesn’t even last 2 globals.

So we had him swap to his Voidwalker but it doesn’t fair any better. It loses aggro very quickly and dies very quickly. Not only do I pull aggro very easily (even using fade. When it ends I gain aggro very quickly) but it also cuts my buddy’s damage down since he’s not using his Felguard AND he constantly has to babysit the thing with health funnel.

Is this just the state of Warlock pets now? They’re just trash? If a hunter comes along his pet will take aggro and tank elites/rares just fine.

And don’t get me started on if we pull more than 2 mobs at a time. Dead.

Are we missing something? He sais the taunt spells are on auto so they’re being used, but they just don’t have any effect it seems.

We’re both around 420 item level. So it’s not like he’s way under geared compared to me.

Both the Felguard and Voidwalker are tuned to the Warlock’s damage output. Anyone else is likely to pull aggro from them if they’re not careful.
I’m not sure (haven’t played Shadow Priest for a while) but think DF’s iteration of Shadow Priest pumps out a lot of damage that will easily outstrip any threat the Felguard and the VW can hold.