Tanking help!

so i’ve got several questions.
one does plate cost more to repair? basically is the gold cost to repair dependent on level or gear type?
two. any tips of prot tanking for a prot warrior in low levels? (my warrior is a level 18 night elf prot warrior but the character isn’t showing on armory.)
three. how do i earn a couple of quick gold without doing anything against the rules i have my 2 professions as mine/blacksmith.
i can only think of 2 ways. one continually making alts selling the gear and mailing the money from the sell of gear. two go to dun morough and farm copper ore/gems and sell it either on ah or vendor the gems. i dont have mains alliance side on this server and that server its on. i find myself struggling to have enough money for skills let alone weapon skills.(this is my biggest beef with vanilla the lack of available gold from quests outside of just pure farming.) yes i realize the low level instances don’t actually NEED a tank but i want to use it more for getting good experience and habits for tbc tanking. the only experience i have is from wrath tanking in dungeons and some mop tanking.

1 Like

Grab skinning, skin mobs you kill and that will net you some nice bonus gold. My 18 paladin has 1.5g after buying skills.

Tanking be in defensive stance, use sunder armor for threat, heroic strike and taunt. If you aren’t tank spec’d it will be frustrating as is warrior tanking for the most part.

Repair costs scale by

Ilvl (this is depended on not only the level of gear but content it’s from)
Armor type
Slot

With higher ilvl armor type or better slots read eg chest and legs cost more.

Tanking tips at low level is be in your tank stance abs that’s about it.

Making gold wait till max level everything you do short of playing the ah at low level you can do better at max abs there is no pressing need for gold at low levels.

You don’t need to buy every skill every level just get your specs skills they cost chump change for the rest at max. Same thing with wep skills don’t need all get them as you use them so if no weps to use don’t worry about it at that point as eg dagger or staff your not going to be using them wep types like ever so why rush to get.

i know your trying to help with the professions but im kind of in too far to respec my professions should i just make another character with skinning and level them and sell the skins to funnel that to my warrior instead?

Skins sell at basicly vendor price on most servers esp at max akinning is not overly great gold it is good when leveling as bonus gold but that’s it not worth rerolling for.

The trick is just reduce spending to what you need till later. You will have more gold than you need just leveling to 70 abs doing all the quests in Outland esp if instance farming till 70 as you should be esp as a tank cone Outland. It’s enough to get all skills plus all riding skills including epic flying from quests alone.

well it got so bad i couldn’t afford shield block until almost level 17. i am not spending anything on ah aside from springing 2s 25cop for one 6 slotter cause i desperately needed the space. that’s it. (didn’t realize mocking blow was berserker stance till i had already bought it.) haven’t purchased most of the two handed weapon skills for now. purchased a ranged weapon skill for pulling.

Which is not that bad of if your able to buy even some wep skills there not made to be gotten once unlocked. Just get your prot skills as a prio and don’t die to reduce repair costs if wanting to get a bit more.

You can further sell the ones from mining and level black smithing at max mining is the top leveling proff for money making. Blacksmith is a gold sink that gives next to no value till max abs as such no reason to level till than.

Sorry, I meant sell the skins to a vendor, you’d be amazed how it adds up. It’s basically free extra gold while you level.

But, if you don’t have it yeah, mine sell the ore/gems. I wouldn’t worry about bs until you hit lvl 70, it’s pretty hard to keep up with due to needing tons of ores.

I would say go run Deadmines a few times. I’m pretty sure there are some copper nodes in there as well as the gold and xp you get from it. As others have said, you tend to run pretty lean at low levels. I would hold off on your blacksmithing for now until you have a little cash.

As a backstop, 1-5g can make a huge difference at low levels. If you don’t know/haven’t met anyone at higher levels that could give you that, you could always put on your Topper McNabb hat and beg a little. 1g should be fairly easy to score. You could also sign someone’s guild charter. That will usually land you 5g if they are offering.

i do have one friend on that side but he’s very rarely online anymore due to real life obligations so he’s not really much of an option. he only plays on the weekends besides and only in 2-4 hour blocks.

the blacksmithing i mostly doing to fill in any equipment gaps i come across in my leveling. just hit level 18. sitting at 4silver 45copper. feels bad.

What realm are you on? I’m on 4 or 5 if it’s one I can give you a couple gold.

1 Like

im on the same one as this warlock atiesh. and thanks for the offer.

Wow we got our first mooch. Go beg for gold. Great advice lol

bit of off topic for my warlock if you abandon the shadoweave quest to start the shadowweave quest line does it cost money pick it back up? my quest log is full.

Level as Mining/Skinning.

Herbalism makes almost no money early game because there’s just not a market for low-level herbs. Herbalism makes decent money late game, but is heavily farmed.

Skinning doesn’t make significant money early game either, but a significant portion of your leveling will involve killing beasts, and vendoring leather is free money. That said, Heavy, Thick, and Rugged Leathers still sell decently on most servers (that is, it’s more valuable to sell those skins on the AH than to vendor the stacks).

Mining makes the most money because there is a constant demand for ores at all skill levels as players level Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting, and Engineering. Mining supports three professions, whereas Herbalism supports only one profession (Alchemy). My anecdotal experience with bots is that mining is harder to ‘bot’ than herbalism.

You could also drop Skinning for Enchanting. Enchanting can be profitable early game if your intention is just to use Enchanting for disenchanting items and selling the mats.

Just to be clear, I have never begged for gold. I was perfectly content walking around with 35c. I learned to make do. My point was that 1g makes a world of difference to a new toon. I always give my new alts 5g to get started. I don’t like people that beg, but if 1g makes the difference in whether you are hating the game or not, that’s not hard to come by as we have all been there. We’re not talking epic mount money…just alms for the poor as Topper asks.

Get a job McNabb!!

Checked all 3 of my accounts and all the toons. Only had 1 on atiesh and it was a level 1 just parked there with no gold. :frowning_face:

I am not sure tanks need to have blacksmithing weapons as hh rep sword should be good. Maybe go herb/mining as herbs like swiftthistle and free action should still sell, while mining should give upgrades. Cloth at wool level or higher might sell because people leveling alts might need it for donation quests to speed up leveling transmute alts and training tailoring for the cloth transmute which many caster classes would want for their preraid bis.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.