Tank Performance Tracking

Is there a good way to track your performance as a tank?

1 Like

Warcraft logs. The term ā€˜parsingā€™ only applies to dps but this log gives you all the information you need to analyze and improve your gameplay across the board.

Are you dying? Are you fellow raiders dying cause you lost aggro? If the answers are no, then youā€™re probably doing okay.

7 Likes

I think Iā€™ll get a better feel for where I stand once I have generated a tanking log for every boss in Naxx for example. I always tank Horsemen and I constantly ā€˜parseā€™ ~90. However, I never MT Heigan so my ā€˜parseā€™ is crap since I havenā€™t really generated a tank log for it. Especially since Iā€™m a mono bear spec.

Do you have aggro? Are you dying? Are healers complaining?

Thatā€™s about it. If you do a poor job as tank, youā€™ll know, not that it requires much effort.

1 Like

There is a lot more than that to tanking for any guild that is a step above casual. No reason to insult or play down the role of tank. Your best place to dive into would be a tanking discord.

I am tank main. Iā€™ve been tank main for over a decade now.

It really isnā€™t hard once you get into it, compared to what healers and dps have to go through.

You look at warlocks that have to weave weapons and do whatnot with their dots, use pots, try to maximize their damage, while tanks have pretty low skill ceiling. If you hold aggro and got enough gear to survive, there isnā€™t much to stand out. All you can add is armor pre-pot and pot.

He was asking for a performance metric. The boomer excuse of ā€˜the job is getting done therefore i know im doing okayā€™ is extremely outdated and misleading.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no great metric you can look at to determine how well youā€™re doing as tank tbh. Not dying and not losing threat is the bare minimum, but things like properly chain pulling and quickly positioning and getting the boss/mobs properly planted are also important and difficult to quantify.

You can probably check when you used your survivablity CDs and see if they coincided with spike damage or lack of healing.

For pallies checking how long holy shield is active is a good measurement, sometimes.

All depends on class.

Any tank for a guild that is not casual does a lot more than just hold aggro. They are the mvps.

There are hundreds of things to look at for measure competitive tank performance, please do ignore these outdated boomers saying being a soak sponge for threat is your only job.

But he is doing okay. If it were a job performance review, heā€™d be meeting expectations. Unless you can point to some kind of objective tank metric, what I described is literally okay.

You seem to think that doing okay doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t do better. Which is a statement I never made.

Warcraftlogs

Okay letā€™s entertain the thought here.

I tanked on several pservers for Wrath, we tried to 1 tank stuff, managed to in some raids, but at end of the day, here it comes.

You got aggro. You keep whichever defensive you have up. Boss is hitting you.
Whereā€™s the skill ceiling? What more can you do? Moving wonā€™t do anything. If thereā€™s mechanic where you have to move, it doesnā€™t take a whole lot of greatness to move your character a bit.

Where is the difference between great tank and average tank?

Healers have to adapt to group, deal with people who get hit by mechanics, compensating.
Dps have to push their damage by perfecting their rotations.

What exactly do tanks have to improve on, when they already have aggro, and do these basic wrath boss mechanics? Like this isnā€™t some m20 or mythic raid where youā€™re constantly dodging circles and taking 20 mobs with 3 different affixes. You literally stand and hit. Letā€™s not fool ourselves, tanking in wrath is the easy role.

Weā€™ve always had this view in any wrath guild Iā€™ve been in, if holy paladin is missing, prot paladin goes holy OS and any dps with tank spec goes prot, because tanking is easy and anyone can do it. Healers are the carries, and dps have the most visible skill ceiling with dmg meters.

4 Likes

Holding aggro and soaking damage is the perfomance mechanic.

1 Like

Well there ya have it. Most pserver people i meet on skyfury hate parsing culture and refuse to look at logs. Hard to measure how well youā€™re doing if you hate logs. Ironic considering i thought all the warmane people were sweaty. Guess just goes to show that retail has always been the best source of talented players.

If your such a retail fanboi then why are you here? Video game skill and talent is a trivial sidenote to real life skills that pay the mortgage and put food on the table, gotta love the low quality/low skill boomer trolling though, parsing is just disaecting and compiling data sets . So if you take fight ā€œAā€ and compile all the data then create a leaderboard ranking of everyone whos done the fight during me timeframe based on this extracted data then you get a performance grading system based on pool of players relative to each other. Im not real familiar with the logs but dps and hps metrics only show output numbers but not comprehensive skill levels. Raid performance is speculative and ultimately unless you speed or acheivment running than clearing the content means you have adequate skill and talent.

1 Like

Haaaaaaaard F for doubt. I dont believe you at all based on that statement alone

1 Like

Just read through all the replies; Iā€™ve determined that Iā€™m a functional tank as I take hits and donā€™t die and I keep my DPS from getting whacked in the head on accident.

However, Iā€™m trying to narrow down on actual metrics that I can use to show me where I currently stand compared to other tanks, which will lead me down a path of improvement.

Thatā€™s really the meat of it that Iā€™m trying to get to. DPS have the luxury of just looking at parses to know how they stack up performance wise, tanking performance stats are more obscure.

If tanking was as binary in performance as some of you have stated, then it would be a multi-thousand way tie for tank rankings on warcraft logs, which it is not.

TPS is the main metric people have used for tanks historically. For mitigation its a little more involved, youd need to look at damage taken among tanks of the same class with similar kill times