Tank Aggro Issues

This might be the wrong place to post this, but since I’m new to tanking I thought this was a good place to start.

I’ve had experiences here and there with tanking in classic dungeons to wrath. I’m a relatively new player but I have DPS experience in BFA Mythic 8s on average, though I decided to try tanking to understand more about each role in a dungeon.

While running a random Wailing Caverns I realized early on that I could not keep aggro to save a life. Every dungeon before hand I could keep aggro on everything no problem. I even ran the dungeon before on a previous go with no problems.

I had a shadow priest who could do so much damage I couldn’t taunt adds off them. The ret paladin also started taking aggro and I got to a point where nothing I did as a protection warrior could keep aggro if I didn’t have my taunt up. At one point their damage threatened to steal a boss from me. I’m fairly good at noticing when I lose aggro and I’m quick to try and pull the add back. Is there something I am missing or were they just doing enough damage to nullify me.

Luckily I made my plight clear that I was having issues keeping aggro and my group didn’t vote to kick me.

In lower level dungeons tanks don’t have a whole lot of tools to hold onto agro. Whereas dps at low levels can push a lot of damage in relation to the level of content you’re doing. Especially if they’re in full heirlooms.

For instance if you charge in and thunder clap a group, and the dps start in on a different target than you are focusing, they’re likely to pull agro simply because you only had a small amount of threat generation on their target. You can mitigate this with tab targeting and taunts, but at the end of the day, you don’t have a whole lot of options at level 25 to hold everything on you if the group is all on a different target than you are.

Just keep at it and grind through to higher levels where you get more ways to generate threat while doing your best in the meantime.

That does help knowing that I’ll just have to stick it out until I get more utilities.

I do want to learn more about how to tank because it does help me learn either mechanics or the pathing of each dungeon whereas when I’m a DPS I just follow.

Thank you!

I replied to the same for a new warrior tank here.

Bonus:
Here is a macro I use on all classes. Heroic Leap is your main movement skill when your not charging in with Intercept. If you use this macro, you will leap to the spot of your mouse pointer with one click. if you don’t use the macro, you click the skill, a green circle appears, you move the circle, and click again to leap, That slows you down. I use this macro for every skill that targets an area on the ground for all of my characters.

#showtooltip
/cast [@cursor] Heroic Leap

That’s actually very helpful, I’ll make sure to incorporate that macro in my rotation. I’ll also take a look at the rotation for a protection warrior. So far I’ve been looking up the best talents are the best for my spec as I know some talents are more viable than others.

Thank you!