Tank Abuse

I would say it’s half-and-half speaking as a protection palatin myself that takes youth but in myself that tanks a lot of random heroics.

I can say I will LOS I will always do my best to ensure that the group is successful and I wis successful and I wait For my healers to get Mana You know I’m patient.

However what I run into a lot of assumed people run ahead of me so many people sometimes will just pull for me and it’s aggravating I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had hunter’s just misdirect pull without even mentioning to me.

If or mages sheep pulling without even saying anything to me Or how many people get so impatient in some even demand I use manipods instead of drinking.

I think it’s a mixture of the 2 If people are just so much more impatient than they were back in the day It’s just a result of the midmax mentality and parchmentality we have now.

Supply and demand, tanking is in fact a service that can be monetized. And making money is an aspect of the game which some people enjoy.

Tanking, in principle, is just playing the game in a specific role. Not a service. It shouldn’t be treated as such in principle.

2 Likes

There’s people willing to pay for someone to tank hence some tanks are going to meet that demand.

Arguing whether it’s a service or a specific role is just semantics.

4 Likes

This is a good use of “just semantics.” It’s rather useless to argue as to whether it should be classified as a service or a regular role, for the reason you specified above:

Tanking is rough but I don’t think that’s the main problem.

1. Only 3/27 builds in this game tank, 1 of which is poop. Druids at least get a 2 for 1 talent page but warrior tank has nothing going for it. It took until wrath (2 expansions) for Blizzard to finally make warrior tanks decent and add more tank builds (now 6/30).
  2. No dual spec. Everyone hoped and begged for this all of classic and crusade but Blizzard refused. They have no problem doing a bunch of other dumb crap but the biggest thing the games really need, nope, can’t have that. You say there’s “plenty” of tanks. Wrong. There’s plenty of people that COULD tank but they won’t because they don’t want to pay the respec fee.

“I tanked 5-main runs all through Legion as a BM Hunter.”
-This isn’t legion.

1 Like

No it’s not. Because we’re talking in principle here. That’s very important. In principle, tanking, healing and damaging are just different but equally important roles needed for clearing dungeons and raids.

People CAN perform these roles for a fee, but that doesn’t make the role a service in principle.

2 Likes

Not to mention that there are far fewer end-game tanking spots available than other roles. With 10-man content becoming more prominent in Wrath, as well as dual spec, and the addition of a class that can also tank, we’ll likely see some better availability of tanks.

But not equal numbers of people are willing to tank/heal/dps which makes tanking more in demand. And hence why tanks can command a fee for doing so but dps cannot. If the ratio of tanks/healers/dps was 1/1/3 tanks would not be able to charge for doing so.

Believe me when I say if I had a penny for every single time I’ve had to say wait for the concentrate to hit before you start dpsing.

I wouldn’t be a millionaire but I would be very close to a million People are so impatient heck I get yelled at as a palatin tank because I have to drink so much well yeah guess what because our gear doesn’t allow a Big manapool.

But I get completely what you mean people are so impatient Now I’m not going to say that every single tank is patient either but man.

Heaven forbid you Wait for the healer to get Mana Or actually look at the mobs before you pull and pull them intelligently.

It’s gotten to the point where I’ve gotten yelled at and said drink a Mana pot Instead of drink.

I do like tanking In fact I want a roll one of each tank in wrath Mainly because it’s a lot more fun than in tbc because I can tell you it is not a fun job.

But a lot of this I do kind of blame on classic because let’s be honest there weren’t tanks in If classic you were a DPS with more health and armor.

And to my understanding it was the same thing in SoM So that was a big part of it I do think things will get better in wrath.

But yeah I would absolutely agree that people just don’t have patience and that would be a reason why people don’t want to roll tank.

Technically, you don’t NEED any specific role to complete a dungeon.

1 Like

I dont tank often but when I do, I let them know I am not a very good or experienced tank, if you need to replace me before we get started go for it no hard feelings, I am not very good with Threat so please give me at least 2 thunder claps before going Full force or 3-4 seconds of my Consecration. I let my group know if its my first time in said dungeon, Should tanks do this No, But i personally do this when joining a Pug group, in a guild group i just verbally tell them in discord. I let my groups how my taunts work weather its 1 per 8 seconds or the paladin one which is about 10 seconds i think. I let hunters know before i start please turn pet aggro off, I ask dps to give me a solid 2-4 seconds, I have rarely been attacked via text through game.

YES, yes, you should. If it is your fire time tanking, you SHOULD inform your group of this.

1 Like

I used to tank a long time ago and I don’t tank anymore because it just became too frustrating. I could be absolutely perfect but 1 toxic player just ruined the entire run and it just felt bad.

… yep, so very 2022.

That is not the reason.
Tanks are probably well geared and have nothing to get from the dungeon, so they want a premium for spending their time there for absolutely no reason.

People often are cheap and don’t want to pay a dime, because they think everyone should spend their times being selfless and acting on good will only “for the good of the community” (lawl).

Tanks are usually playing with their guildies when they are gearing and then either play an alt to make gold OR they sell their time as tank for hire.

This will get worse and worse without LFD.

3 Likes

Welp, since they’re killing Mage Boost would be comical to see Tank Services lol.

They already exist today.
They will always exist.

What they did to mitigate was: add Call to Arms to give a bag of gold + goods for the tank when there was a shortage of tanks in LFD.

But wait. We don’t have LFD.

1 Like

I thought this was going to be another crying post about nothing, but actually it’s true. DPS are complete goobers in PUGs. I leveled my warrior in Classic from 18 to 60 tanking pugs, and two paladins in TBC from 60 to 70 tanking pugs. SOoooo many loser DPS acting like complete morons.

Is it the entire reason there’s a tank shortage? Nah, but I can see how tanks don’t want to put up with it and refuse to pug.

I think I’ll make it a policy when I’m tanking dungeons from 70 to 80 to auto kick anyone being a fool.

Not without a fat fee.