Taming Cataclysm Not Available

I have completed:

• Taming Kalimdor / Eastern Kingdoms (both Horde and Alliance)
  • Taming Outland
  • Taming Northrend
  • Taming Draenor

Yet I cannot get the quest to open Cataclysm or Pandaria. I have checked with both Varzok and Audrey Burnhep; Neither has a quest to offer me. I have returned to Major Payne, but no follow-up there, either. I have returned to all of the trainers in Outland, and most of the trainers in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms (specifically, the latest ones completed) to no avail.

Endless hours of running around is getting extremely frustrating. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA

UPDATE:

I just went through Outland again, but on an Alliance character, and Bloodnight Antari had a quest for me to return to Audrey Burnhep. On returning to Audrey, though, there was no follow-up quest. I checked in w/ Varzok, and he still didn’t have anything for me either.

I then went back to Major Payne w/ an Alliance character (Northrend Taming was completed on a Horde character), and he also had a quest to return to Audrey. Alas, Audrey did not have a follow-up quest after this either. I checked in w/ Varzok, and still nothing…

1 Like

I sometimes had to switch characters to get the quest to come up. Not factions, just a different character on the same faction.

1 Like

Wondering if it could be because the Taming quests not show completed account-wide. Like same toon has to do all three of the pre-req achievements.

Reason I wondered, looked at Quetzalita’s achieves and does not show completed Taming Draenor, which you say you have done. I know that’s not required for Cataclysm and PandaLand but is curious. Might want to make sure that same toon that wants Cata is one that has completed the 3 prior ones. Then open a ticket as it sounds like maybe a bug.

I thought the pet battle achievements were all account-wide (once one of the quests is accepted, it is in every character’s quest log, and shows the same progress). I just completed “Taming Draenor” yesterday, so perhaps there is a delay w/ the Armory picking it up.

I opened a ticket yesterday… we’ll see how that goes…

UPDATE: (The system won’t let me post a reply to myself)

RESOLUTION!

Apparently there is a phasing issue that disallows viewing the “Battle Pet Tamers: Cataclysm” quest. I have about a dozen characters that are L110-112 that have the the BfA introductory quest chain queued, and thus are phased out. These were all the ones I was using for the pet battles. When I returned to Orgrimmar w/ a L120 character, Varzok was happy to offer the quest to me. After accepting the quest, I checked in w/ an Alliance character, and the quest was in her log as well. All is good.

Thanks to a kind GM for bringing this to my attention. I thought I’d post the resolution here in case anyone else runs into this issue in the future.

5 Likes

Not having progressed through that actually phases out a lot of other stuff too. It was a Leading Cause of questing confusion in the period right after the BfA launch. I know it is a chore but I strongly encourage people to chug every character they might play, through the sequence. It doesn’t take too long with the skip option, and avoids weirdness.

2 Likes

Thank you so, so much for posting this. I had a similar experience questing on an original wow character that I haven’t played for years, spent hours trying to fix it and all I had to do was log my brand new boosted level 120 and Audrey Burnhep had a quest waiting for me… haha, finally <3 Adding this reply May 2020 in case anyone else is having this issue.

2 Likes

I’ll add my voice to the chorus of grateful pet battlers! After a few wasted hours of traveling to every tamer and back to Audrey multiple times, I randomly discovered that my lowbie alt (who can’t be BfA phased) could take the quests (for me it was as early as “Battle Pet Tamers: EK”) and then I could manually track it on my main since it’s account wide.

Now I know why! I’m going to get my main through the intro BfA quests and won’t have to worry about it!

FWIW, if you really don’t want to spend the time “unphasing” a high level toon right now, you can likely use an alt that isn’t on the BfA quests to collect the pet quests you’re looking for. All the quests should be account wide. Just make sure to then check your quest log on the desired character, expand “Battle Pets” and “Track” the quest you want on your phased toon.

Great work.

THANK YOU!!! I just spent hours, even deleted a Horde character, thinking that I must have something stuck in a pet battle somewhere. I never even thought about the phasing out. I logged on my main that’s been through everything, and I was able to get my quests! Thank you so much for posting and for the kind GM that was able to answer. I wish they’d put THIS information in the Knowledge Base.