Talanji should have asked both factions for aid instead of only one

You left out the part where he foolishly ignored the Blood Troll threat, forcing his own daughter to risk her life organizing an expedition to Nazmir, because the old king was so blind to the threat at his very gates.

Thankfully for Ol’ Rastakhan, Brann and the Alliance were there to end that threat before it was too late. :slight_smile:

Wasn’t Zul behind that? Pretty sure Zul kept Rastakan in the dark about a ton of shenanigans, not just the business in Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria.

1 Like

Pure speculation. There is no evidence that Zul “kept him in the dark” about the Blood Trolls. Talanji herself states that Rastakhan simply ignores the threat.

My father thinks de blood troll threat will go away on its own, like it did in de past. But things are different now.

h ttps://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Into_The_Darkness

Now you see what my father refuses to acknowledge. De blood trolls are slaughtering us, and dey need to be stopped.

h ttps://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Leave_None_Standing

Rastakhan is clearly presented as a lazy, naive, and foolish king, who does not take the threat at his very gates seriously. There is no mention whatsoever of Zul.

I am not interested in fan-fiction.

Considering how much you present to the story forums, that comes as a bit of a surprise.

That said, I’m not dealing in fanfiction, but speculation based off of the quests. Zul declared his loyalty to Ghuun, which the Blood Trolls were likewise beholden to. He even tells Rastakan he should have listened to Talanji. Zul’s entire scheme was to free Ghuun.

https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Zul#Battle_for_Azeroth

Seeking to break the final seal holding G'huun imprisoned Zul led his forces to attack Dazar'alor in order to break the final seal and release the blood god. Rastakhan, empowered by Bwonsamdi, fought Zul and defeated him, but Mythrax succeeded in destroying the final seal. The mortally wounded Zul laughed defiantly at Rastakhan and told him to enjoy ruling over his kingdom of ashes, before Rastakhan angrily shoved him off the ledge, sending Zul falling into the flames below to his death.[30] Zul would be revived as an undead by G'huun, but he was only a hollow shell of his former self. From within Uldir the blood trolls fought under his command, until a group of adventurers stormed Uldir and killed Zul, who, with his last words, declared that this wasn't the future he was promised.[31]

I mean, the wiki even lists Zul as a racial leader for the Blood Trolls after Ghuun revived him.

https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Blood_troll

1 Like

Not interested in speculation by a Horde-biased poster.

Rastakhan was foolish and naive, and Jaina did Talanji and the Zandalari a favour by speeding up the succession.

The exchange ends here.

Hilarious.

1 Like

You literally said that Rastakhan did nothing wrong and it was all Zul and Bwonsamdi’s fault, because we can’t have a Horde character do anything wrong, let’s not get crazy. But we’ll keep bringing up Onyxia manipulating the House of Nobles as a “gotcha” to hold against the Alliance for the 1000000000000th time.

Sorry, not interested in Horde-biased fan-fiction. :wave:

I said his BIGGEST mistake was those two, not his ONLY mistakes ever. Rastakan was a flawed character. He made mistakes. It was part of what made him interesting and endearing. Despite being over 300 years old, a legendary figure amongst trollkind, he was still fallible.

The best characters aren’t perfect. Perfect is boring. It’s why I like the Alliance, with all of it’s imperfections. How boring would the Alliance be if it was perfect? For me, what makes the faction great is how it strives for the unobtainable goal of perfection despite it’s flaws. Getting back up after every tumble from the moral highground makes for an endearing narrative, in my opinion at least.

4 Likes

What imperfections does the modern Alliance have? It’s literally perfect.

Just off the top of my head? Void Elves would be a pretty good start.

3 Likes

You mean the most unique and original race in the game, the one that gives the Alliance a foothold in the Void storyline, and also the one that gives the Alliance a sorely-lacking “dark edge”? That race?

Is this 2018 again? People can’t possibly be hating on Void Elves in 2024. :yawning_face:

I never stopped, but you missed my point.

The Void Elves are, objectively, an imperfect race, particularly where morality is concerned. Every single one of their actions in BFA were morally vanta black, rivaling anything the Forsaken had ever done. That things never spiraled into the same scope of atrocity the Horde was ever guilty of is more due to the lack of numbers available to the Void Elves, than anything else.

An imperfect blot on the Alliance’s morality, and they’ve never really been anything but that. Just a pity it’s such a trash race in terms of lore and implementation.

2 Likes

The projection levels are through the -roof.- I like how Onyxia and the House of Nobles weren’t mentioned to begin with until you brought them up.

10 Likes

Do not engage with that one.

He is simply Erevien: Blue Edition. He is not interested in lore discussion, he is interested in faction tribalism and nothing but.

12 Likes

Nah, I just know how you people work.

When it’s about the Alliance, you people act like Stormwind and the House of Nobles are evil, even though they were literally mind-controlled by Onyxia through the Drakefire Amulet

When it’s about the Horde, oh suddenly we can’t accuse Rastakhan of anything because “we wuz tricked!!!” by Zul and Bwonsamdi.

Oh nice, more dupe-stalking. Haven’t had that happen to Me yet today.

I can’t recall the last time I’ve heard mention of the House of Nobles in a way that unironically painted Stormwind was/as and/or is evil. As for the Horde, the same – I’ve never heard anyone say Rastakhan was utterly guiltless.

Ultimately, its just faction tribalism. I could easily bring up how certain Alliance players continually yammer on about how the Alliance MUST be perfect in every way shape and form like they’re actually Alliance members IRL and how the Horde MUST be bad in every way shape and form, but why bother?

6 Likes

Never forget.

The Alliance drove (forced) the darkspear trolls, the blood elves, the goblins, the zandalari trolls, and the vulpera into the Horde because the Alliance were being dumb. In a sense, the Nightborne too.

7 Likes

I never liked how often this sort of story is the one the devs resorted to for new races.

Not because it paints the Alliance in a bad light.

Because it makes the Horde seem so unpalatable an option that a race wouldn’t join it until they somehow got on the wrong side of the Alliance. I can see how with the Blood Elves, that was an unavoidable story, but to repeat it for the Goblins? The Goblins could’ve joined the Horde just because they wanted to, for profit. Vulpera could’ve joined out of a shared shamanistic culture, and ties to the Zandalari.

They did that with the Nightborne, but for some reason had to justify why the Nightborne decided not to join the Alliance. There was never any reason to justify it. The Blood Elves were much more friendly, much more compatible as a culture.

It’d be nice if a race could join the Horde simply because it wants to, and not because it had no other choice.

3 Likes

I dunno, I kinda like it? Even if it barely applies nowadays, I feel like it hearkens back to that “misfits banding together” feeling.

I think it’s fine for the horde to not be a race’s first choice. What sucks is if the story makes that out to be a regretful one.

2 Likes