Sylvannas negativity

Adorable night saber kittens.

Burnt alive.

Did Elune put the little animals to sleep, too?

2 Likes

What does that even mean ?

Here is how Uther described it

"When Arthas struck me down, Frostmourne shattered my soul. But it was not divided into one part that was noble and another that was cruel.

Rather, it was as if a portion of my consciousness remained frozen in time while the rest of my soul carried on."

How does that excuse Sylvanas’ actions ?

12 Likes

Ah yes, made clear by her famous quote “What joy is there in this curse”.

EDIT: Why did you delete the post? I mean it wasn’t 100% wrong, what you described is most likely what the character is now, the problem being that the writers are not consistent with her motivations and morality and she constantly flip flopping from one thing to the other.

12 Likes

LOL

it is amazing how all the current hardcore Sylvanas fans really have no idea what the character was originally about.

Of course the only people who still love Sylvanas have no clue as to how Blizzard ruined her. People who hate Sylvanas now do so because of what has been done to her character more than anything else.

2 Likes

I don’t hate her, I just want her gone from the story forever.

5 Likes

I have said it before and I’ll say it again, she should have stayed dead at the end of WotLK, everything after that was a bastardization of the character.

Well let’s be honest not a small portion of her fanbase is there for features separate from her character.

Ahem, I hated her before it was cool, I just don’t like undead.

7 Likes

I love Sylvanas because of her charisma, legendary voice actress and sharp lines. She still has that and so I still love her. Otherwise, that Blizzard ruined her is undeniable

Sylvanas doesn’t even look undead.
She should look like something like this.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECuprlVX4AAU36r.jpg

Right now she just looks like a drow.

7 Likes

She doesn’t look like an undead but she is in fact still a zombie. Also there are lore reasons why she doesn’t look like the others.

Not disputing her status as a zombie but she just doesn’t look like a corpse. I wonder how much of fans would still be fans of if she actually looked like a half decomposed mangled corpse.

3 Likes

I disagree, there’s nothing wrong with a character having their worldview challenged. And if anything’s going to change a zombie’s opinion on undeath, it’s the realization they’re damned to super hell once the curse ends.

Sylvanas didn’t become a lost cause until BfA, but the writing was on the wall since Legion IMO. She was never going to last as the Horde’s main character, and sacrificing Vol’jin to give her the big seat was the bad lore decision you can trace all the really bad lore decisions back to.

6 Likes

Depending of which era Sylvanas we are talking about.

Pre-Cata probably most of her fanbase would still like her.

Post-Cata can’t say really, I don’t know for sure how many people became fans of her because they liked the wannabe Lich King turn she got.

Post-BfA- I still have no idea how she has fans.

But overall it is safe to say that she would have less of following than she does now.

1 Like

But they aren’t. Being undead does not send you to the maw automatically, you still get judged. And prior to SL it was believed that if you are raised as an undead you would automatically be send to “super hell”, meaning that each time Sylvanas did raise someone she was essentially plucking their souls from an afterlife and giving them the option of “be this horrible monster or go to hell”. If anything the way it works in SL kinda redeems her but contradicts her previous motivations.

Her world view was “being undead sucks” and “I wanna kill Arthas for turning me into undead”, later it became “I must become Arthas so I can make more undead”. It’s a complete 180.

Now thinking back on it it could have been an interesting story if she actually realized it sooner, that she was turning into the person she hated the most, but as it stands right now post sudoku Sylvanas is a waste of space and only hindered the development of the forsaken story.

Yeah I think that is when the first of the “Sylvanas hate” waves started. And I still do not understand why Blizzard had to kill Vol’Jin, I mean why did both factions need to lose a major character and if it trully had to be this way why wasn’t it Trall.

5 Likes

The Male Blood Elf avatar really makes this.

2 Likes

W-Well I hated Sylvanas back in Wrath of the Lich King when she had her blight on a young girl, s-so I’m Sylvanas’ #1 hater!

5 Likes

Weak sauce I didn’t like her back in WC3, come at me.

2 Likes

Nah. I didn’t have a problem with Sylvanas even in original WoW. Everyone was doing slightly shady things back then. Sylvanas wasn’t a particularly standout character at the time.

8 Likes

She was a well written character up to WotLK, I will concede on that at least. But my dislike for her didn’t come because I though she was a bad character or she was “shady”, I just never really connected with her or found her compelling, in fact I remember every time I had to do missions with her I wanted to auto skip them (in fact did using godmode cheats on repeated playthroughs).

1 Like

The playable Forsaken we see in WoW didn’t exist in Warcraft III, so you probably weren’t the only one that didn’t feel connected to her in the RTS.

I don’t see how that is relevant because I don’t like the forsaken now and I did play the RTS before I started playing WoW.

Honestly I can’t really pinpoint exactly why I didn’t like. “The Victim” archetype characters like Sylvanas or Harley Quinn have always been a hard sell for me and after that maybe because I had to play as her for long periods of time. Like you know how in AC games you get to play as the assassin and every now and again you are flung out of the animus to play as the current day protagonist and you end up hating them because its essentially a hand break of you enjoying the game, it’s something like that.

2 Likes