Sylvannas divided Soul

Sounds like you don’t understand the situation to me.

1 Like

You left out the: “power slid into a sword which was made by the Jailer. As the Jailer tried to work through the Vessels of Domination.
'Cause that’s where we are now.

Teehee.
Except…if we’re going to call out their pre-placed story hooks…
They already set up for neither Sylvanas or Anduin to be responsible for their actions:
On handling the Azerite, Sylvanas:

“Her eyes flew wide, and she sucked in a soft gasp of astonishment.”
"She felt not merely strong but mighty… ”
“Armies, cities, entire cultures—she could raise them.
And fell them. Stormwind would be among the first, yielding its people to swell the numbers of her own.”
“This…will change everything.” Her voice was shaking.”
Excerpt From: Christie Golden. “Before the Storm (World of Warcraft).”

On handling Azerite, Anduin:

“The stone tumbled gently into Anduin’s palm.
And he gasped.
The heaviness of grief vanished as if it were physical armor that had been seized and yanked off. Weariness fled, replaced by surging, almost crackling energy and insight. Strategies raced through his head, each one of them sound and successful, each one of them engendering a shift in comprehension and ensuring a lasting peace that benefited every being on Azeroth.”
Excerpt From: Christie Golden. “Before the Storm (World of Warcraft).”

Both of them were “shown” strategies by the Azerite. So, as I said in another thread: And who actually believes there won’t be a new “but it was really so-and-so ” soon enough?

Congrats, everyone! Azeroth played us all for fools and now we need my existing list to read:
Really that was a let down from Legion: We won! The Burning Legion was defeated.
And then: LOL No! Old God make you fight!
And now, yet again: LOL No! Eternal One make you fight!
And soon enough: LOL No! Azeroth make you fight!

The Jailer considered Ner’zhul a failure.

Tried.

He thought all the Lich Kings failures for not obeying him entirely.

I was talking about the one on one battle, not their army facing both, not Sylvanas facing both.

I agree that she doesn’t think its ideal, but I don’t think she went in with the sole thought of “I’m gonna lose this”

I think she went in thinking, “I can match one of them,” and that the fight would be to close to call. It came off as there was a very good chance she may win and there was a very good chance she may lose.

50/50

When Sylvanas considers them perhaps unbeatable that does not sound like an even chance in her estimations. And Sylvanas didn’t even fight Malfurion solo even in A Good War as she had a group of Horde soldiers with her at the start of the fight in the novel, where as in game we saw corpses of Horde soldiers all around her.

The two of them, on the battle field together, not the 1v1 that we are discussing.

She was literally hunting Malfurion in his own territory that does not sound like a thing a person who believes they are going to lose would do.

Sylvanas just had to keep Malfurion occupied so the Horde army could continue towards the tree, not defeat him. She even assumed Malfurion would still be alive after the tree was taken when she was initially planning the attack with Saurfang.

If the Horde managed to kill both Tyrande and Malfurion, yes, it would be a great victory that would weaken the Alliance, but the objective was supposed to be conquering the World Tree.

Killing them wasn’t their top priority, but it wasn’t off the table.

Edit:

Sylvanas spun around. “I am prepared to duel Malfurion alone.” Saurfang wasn’t sure he had ever heard a worse idea, not with circumstances this dire. “Warchief—”
She cut him off. “I know. I would be facing him, his remaining army, and the spirits of his
ancestors by myself. That will be … difficult to overcome,” she said dryly. “But we almost have them. I will not retreat.”

"We will squeeze Malfurion from both sides. He will fall today.”

Sylvanas definitely wasn’t shivering in her boots at the thought of dueling Malfurion alone, and she totally thought there was a chance they could kill him.

Those were Saurfang’s thoughts. These were Sylvanas’ words:

Sylvanas’s eyes disappeared beneath the edge of her hood. “They lost their nation years ago. The Gilneans will be furious if the Alliance acts to help the kaldorei first,” she said. “The boy in Stormwind will have a political crisis on his hands. He is smart, but he is not experienced. What happens when Genn Greymane, Malfurion Stormrage, and Tyrande Whisperwind all demand differing actions? He is not a high king like his father.”

Sylvanas was desperate at this point to not lose to the Night Elves, given this is the situation the Horde found themselves in at the time:

As it stood, the night elves would win this battle.

Now the Horde needed a miracle.

And ultimately Sylvanas did not rush into the Wisps, and instead waited for Saurfang to find a way through Felwood instead.

This is a back and forth about a sub-story arc that was eclipsed. That’s actually a big complaint for me; this was all pointless, and it was setup as pointless before it even began for players.

There is no special “guilt” to be found in it as Amadis is desiring.

The Azerite is the disease vector. Before we get to that there’s probably a Light/Void war.

Brooks contorted the ideas of honor, a soldier, a war, and a duel into a mush; while also just writing super-hero fiction.

Saurfang got wrecked as a character in this story:

Her expression didn’t waver. “This was your battle. Your strategy. And your failure. Darnassus was never the prize. It was a wedge that would split the Alliance apart. It was the weapon that would destroy hope. And you, my master strategist, gave that up to spare an enemy you defeated. I have taken it back.

When they come for us, they will do so in pain, not in glory. That may be our only chance at victory now.”

He wanted to kill her. He wanted to declare mak’gora and spill her blood in front of Horde and Alliance alike.

But she was right.

A wound that can never heal. That had always been the plan. And Saurfang had failed to inflict it.

They did that in game, and in a book for a reason.