Sylvanas: Warcraft's Anarcho-Syndicalist

Eternal Torment is morally unjust in literally every circumstance, especially now that a soul dying is an actual solution to a dangerous entity.

3 Likes

Honestly? “Eternal Torment” might be more branding then reality. We know that souls don’t/can’t persist forever. Eventually they run out of anima and will “cease to be” at that point. That process can take centuries or millennia to play out depending on how much anima the soul has in the first place but we are still talking about a limited time span.

Now that we know there’s an actual Hell where death ushers malevolent beings, we can’t know for certain we’re not ushering them to an even worse Double-Hell by destroying them. For all we know it might be hells all the way down! :upside_down_face:

More seriously, note that I worded specifically that I thought the purpose of the Maw is to contain irredeemable souls. There’s a big moral divide between a place designed to be inescapable and a place designed to inflict perpetual torment. My pet theory is that all the torture and suffering going on in Obleron (that seems to be the realm’s original name) might be the Jailer’s own personal touch after he got locked up in there.

Probably not the Maw, but those in Revendreth can become Venthyr if they enjoy their time there. The Maw is a place for those who have broke the rules or will break them, a place to contain rule breakers is necessary. Societies must have prisons if they want to remain as they are.

A fallible system being fixed could be why the events of this expansion are happening, just not in a complete overhaul as Sylvanas might be trying to achieve. The flaws are being fixed as we quest, almost like a computer being updated. It’s just that the Shadowlands is behind on its updates.

The Jailer can try, but the Purpose isn’t to allow him to succeed. The point is to fix the system, not change it completely. The system can remain after the flaws have been corrected.

Exactly.

In this case, Sylvanas is the one who broke the eggs.

1 Like

you couldn’t even get a blizzard employee to define anarcho-syndicalism even if you put a gun to their head

1 Like

Or you know…people will do what they do best. Overthink or make a situation far more complex than it actually is Shrug

2 Likes