Sylvanas Sabotage

Considering the number of RPers and other story folks who seem to have migrated to FF14 and the number of people that post here versus general I’m not sure I’d agree with that. It’s not impossible considering that the hardcore fans are normally the ones that stick around the longest, but I’m not really seeing much to indicate that’s the case right now.

Was she? I could only find her previously having worked at Sony Pictures and Buena Vista.

(Not downplaying the fact she wrote the diversity article without mentioning the word race/ethnicity anywhere, I just can’t find her having worked for Disney and I’m wondering if I looked up the wrong person)

I am amused/disturbed by the fact that Blizzard’s strategy to regain player trust is exactly the same as the Horde’s strategy to regain Alliance trust: throw a scapegoat under the bus and say “We’ve changed, it was just this one bad person making us all like that; for, err, the upteenth time. But THIS time, we’re totally being sincere!”

21 Likes

blizzard claimed to delevop two expansion ahead, so…his “Idea” influenced bfa and sl

6 Likes

Oh my god. It really is!! How did I not see that until you pointed it out?

Does this mean the people still defending ActiBlizz are Anduin?

6 Likes

Bellular addresses the “scapegoat” idea in his video:

“Look, for what it’s worth, I’m told that yes, Teldrassil was very controversial internally and that Alex basically kind of rammed it through. And some people some people have said to me, ‘Oh, this is just pinning it on one guy.’ Well, he was the creative director. I mean, that’s just like, you know, looking at a movie and a controversial plot decision being like, ‘The director rammed it through.’ ‘Oh, you’re pinning it on one guy.’ Well, yeah, it’s the director! I mean, sure, I guess Ion could have vetoed this as game director, but I imagine for narrative stuff it’s like, ‘That’s Alex’s gig, so he gets the say on it,’ right? I mean, he probably had final authority on all this and was able to ram it through.”

Video set to the relevant timestamp:

Now, “controversial” sounds like it means there were some on the staff who liked the idea, so that would mean he wasn’t a one-man cheering team for the storyline. But there was just one man who had the authority to make the call, so it’s appropriate to say he’s responsible for it.

Also, Taliesin said that four separate people had told him this was Afrasiabi’s unilateral decision, off the record and not expecting it to be revealed, before the lawsuit and everything blew up. I feel like this is about as well documented as it can be, short of being able to see internal company e-mails or something like that.

15 Likes

lol This is true. While were at it Jaina doesn’t have a cornish accent too despite living in Kul Tria most of her life. Which IMO is a plus since I found the Kul Tiran accents to be annoying anyway. Still WoW is a silly universe when it comes to accents. I would loved the NB more with French accents since it does make sense if you look at their culture and architect of Suramar and their use of gondolas. NB like Valtrois having a French accent would have been so fitting and I would found the NB female child even more adorable with her, “Would you like some mana juice?” dialog if spoken in an accent. lol

1 Like

This was referenced in game/made somewhat significant. Jaina does tell Alliance players she didnt realize she has lost her Kul Tiran accent, a sign that she has been apart from her people for too long(She was gone from Kul Tiras for almost 20 years at that point)

4 Likes

Oh my mistake. I must have missed that part. lol

It is also a joke female Kul Tirans have

“There is one thing I will never forgive Lady Jaina for… losing her accent”.

2 Likes

It was a soft retcon in that obviously Jaina would never have a Kul Tiras accent because until BfA there wasn’t one. And I am glad they gave a decent enough explanation about it that play into her character.

3 Likes

Tali’s video said that they made a version of the Thalyssra video with a voice-over by “a French actress,” so it sounds like they might have done just that. Or French-Canadians, at least.

Even the Kul Tirans don’t all sound like each other. I could give Jaina some slack by assuming she lost her Kul Tiran accent while living in Dalaran—but IIRC, Katherine doesn’t have that accent either.

That reminds me, do we even know if Katherine is originally Kul Tiran? For all we know she is from the mainlands/had an arranged marriage to Daelin.

2 Likes

FWIW, Katherine does have an English accent like the other Kul Tirans. She’s voiced by Indira Varma, a British actress.

1 Like

I’m not seeing the shilling. He’s been super-harsh on Blizzard the last year or so.

But … this thread isn’t doing that? It’s saying that he is responsible for what happened with Sylvanas in BfA, specifically.

4 Likes

While Afrasiabi could have very well been responsible for the start of BFA, that gives no excuse for the writing we see today.

“I will never serve…” is not thanks to Afrasiabi, that’s Danuser and his team.

While I am sympathetic to receiving an unfinished project to work on, a mess that you’re stuck cleaning up.

I just don’t see how any of the Shadowlands storylines, are fixing any of it.

Imagine at the end of Sanctum of Domination.

We defeat Sylvanas, she’s laying beaten on the floor. Zovaal acquires his sigil from the Arbiter and says to Anduin:

“Come… she has served her purpose.”

Where does that leave Sylvanas? Pretty much in the same place she is now, right?

However, it doesn’t add in any cheesey one liners, or some random forced soul splitting story.

5 Likes

It would still be better than the faux-British accent that gets thrown around far to often in the genre, even with races that have no basis for it.

Well, that is one thing we agree on.

I enjoy T and E on occasion, but I can’t stand that other one you mentioned.

To me, I would use a term that goes hand in hand with snake oil salesman - he seems like a carnival barker. He seems to be talking at people, not to them. A bit of a bloviator. And that is just his delivery, never mind the content.

4 Likes

Very true; it’s one thing we agree on. Surprisingly, I’d never heard the term “carnival barker” before.

Again, why Bellular has so many subscribers is a mystery to me (more than Nixxiom, PreachGaming, Doronsmovies, Taliesin… even more than Nobbel87. Of the ones I know, only Asmongold surpasses him).

And his takes on lore… pinches bridge of nose, rubs it and sighs

1 Like

At this day and year, outrage content and clickbait wins. Bellular does both. He has some outrage triggering title on his video that also serves as clickbait.

There is a reason why Tucker Carlson is the most watched personality on cable “news” networks. Outrage sells. More people are willing to watch someone make up outrage stories or just be a negative Nancy than someone who tries to put a positive / neutral spin or outlook on something.

Anger, hatred and fear are powerful weapons. As Garrosh himself stated.

4 Likes

T&E have been defending Blizzard from the very start of BFA. They even mocked the community constantly for it.

They recently made video about the jailer and how he is brilliant completely on conjectur but passed it off as fact with only the caviat that Blizzard failed to just show it properly.

They are copium personified and it makes sense. Their whole career hinges on bieng partners with Blizzard. If you start becoming critical you get sidelined like Preach.

Hey T&E! Is it a sh!t show now obviously? Or is the community still being unreasonable?

7 Likes