Sylvanas' punishment is also a punishment for her victims

that doesn’t say that she’s the only one doing it
only that she won’t be allowed to stop until they’re all out

2 Likes

I agree with the argument, based on what little information we have, that Sylvanas is alone in the Maw on a quest to rescue the souls she herself has doomed.

A reasonable punishment for her, but not so reasonable for her victims.

2 Likes

That doesn’t imply either that others will be helping her. And again, what sort of punishment is it if everyone else/was doing it/had to do it as well? Because, we really should be doing it/everyone capable of doing so should be helping these souls.

Or you know, Blizzard didn’t think about it too much and basically wanted to make it seem like Sylvanas will have a task that would be very hard/take a really long time to finish, when in fact it would actually be relatively shorter/easier if we all were helping her?

[quote=“Zerde-sargeras, post:43, topic:1503856”]Because, we really should be doing it/everyone capable of doing so should be helping these souls.
[/quote]

then get busy. the weekly is still there, and it’s repeatable now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ah so you agree that it is not implied either way. Which is my point : we do not know.

There is an absence of information. I am saying that we can not state with lore accuracy that she is the only one saving souls. You are jumping to conclusions.

I can understand wanting to discuss it as a theory or guess. I can understand if you came at the topic more like : “From the given lore, it is my opinion…”

But you are trying to pass it off as solid lore that she is the only one saving souls. I do not know why people feel they have to fill in gaps with head canon.

1 Like

Or you know the story could have bother to say that people are still saving these souls. Because story wise, me “saving” these souls is suppose to occur before the events of her judgement.

It is implied she is doing it alone. And even if she wasn’t doing it alone it means the punishment does not make sense because everyone else should theoretically be doing it by their own graces. It would be akin to someone deforesting an entire forest and being told your only punishment is to plant trees along with volunteers.

So either way it is a sucky punishment.

There is no absence of information, but little. And the little information we have is that Sylvanas is alone in the Maw to rescue those souls.

3 Likes

Blizzard said that time works differently in the Shadowlands. Since Sylvanas is not back yet after the time skip, doesn’t that mean she’s still at it, even despite any potential help she’s getting?

I mean yes, the issue here is really that whole “time works differently”. If Sylvanas was permanently gone from WoW that is one thing. If suddenly two or three expansions from now she returns and goes “boy, that 10,000 years(for me) spent rescuing souls has redeemed me and now I can go save Nathanos and lead the Forsaken again” will piss me off and probably alot of other people.

1 Like

Or she’s dead. Err. Dead dead? Whatever.

Or she got bored and is just chilling on a rock waiting for the souls to turn to ash to run out her sentence by loophole - none will remain because they all will perish.

Or she finished and she didn’t want to come back to Azeroth.

Maybe she found Nathanos and they built a small home in the Maw and live there now. He’s a little ghost puff, but they have tea parties and stuff. It’s tough for him to drink the tea but Theotar comes to visit sometimes.

Maybe she and the Tyrande’s owl became besties and are now going on adventures throughout the cosmos. With Ve’nari too because why not?

Maybe a bronze dragon visited her and they time-travelled and we’ll see them in some future expansion and find she’s been time-travelling all over the timeline.

… or something … I don’t know, I kind of prefer to let Shadowlands sit in the corner. Like, yeah there’s lore, but … you know … probably best not to look at it too closely or engage with it.

But some souls belong there, I thought

Not anymore. Pelagos doesn’t think anybody deserves the maw, no matter what. So Sylvanas has to take every single one of them out, whether or not they were previously judged as “deserving” to go there.

2 Likes

We traded the Lich King for pelagos.
:face_exhaling:

Because poetic justice makes for a better read than actual justice.

Besides it’s problematic to have mass numbers of the living present in the lands of death. Hopefully, with both the Jailor and the Forsworn gone and neutralised, being held in stir in the Maw is more of a torment of waiting than of torture.

Anduin visiting the Maw to chat with Sylvannas is debatable the Light he brings with him may offset the damage his presence is causing. The Living (and this includes the Undead) are not meant to be present in the Lands of the Dead.

3 Likes

iirc there’s a daily or weekly quest in Shadowlands that revolves around freeing souls trapped in the Maw.

Tbf an impossibly long, extremely grindy fetch quest where you’ve to check under every last rock in the least interesting zone ever added to the setting does sound like the worst punishment imaginable in a MMO.

Except its not poetic at all and feel very dumb when you give it half a thought.

Since when? The Alliance/Horde even let people like Old Emma and Griftah into the Shadowlands.

From what we have seen simply being in the Maw causes souls pain, regardless if the Jailer or his minions are anywhere near said soul.