Sylvanas: Is she naive or has she just lost hope?

His followers, on world quests and the rest, keep talking about how right the Jailer is. I haven’t done the Bastion convenant story line, so maybe Uther is somehow unaware of what his followers know. Either way, you have a lot of people in Shadowlands willing too sign on.

This is incorrect lore. Loath as I am to even remotely back up Katiera.

Those who’s sins are so grand they are judged unredeemable by the Arbiter are shipped straight to the Maw. They don’t get a chance to save themselves in Revendreth.

Yep… this is right, the arbiter decides who goes where, not every lucky soul goes to revendreth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UKVXoEceaU&ab_channel=Wowhead

at 0:08 you can also see that some souls are being dropped into the maw instead of the other shadowlands, we know thats the maw because after the arbiter goes caput everything flushes down like in a toilet.

1 Like

I don’t think that makes sense.

If souls were judged irredeemable by the Atbiter, the actual irredeemable souls should have no business going to Revendreth in the first place and wasting time. Souls aren’t necessarily fixed, they are malleable characters and have the potential to be redeemed even if they show irredeemable traits- that was the whole point of Venthyr questing.

It doesn’t make sense for the Arbiter to send some definitely irredeemable souls to Revendreth and some other definitely irredeemable souls to the Maw.

It makes sense if theyre not useful for the shadowlands for whatever reason, the accuser was going to chug kael to the maw if he didnt let go of his anima, does this means some souls can resist getting harvested? i dont know, all i know is that i see in that video some souls going directly to the maw, plus we know some souls do get yeeted from revendreth because they dont repent, who is to say the arbiter cant be sure a certain individual X wont repent so she just saves everyone the trouble and throws him into the drain.

“judged by the Arbiter”. Sylvanas went directly the Maw like Arthas did.

No. Arthas went to the Maw because Uther tossed him in.

Sylvanas went to the Maw because the Arbiter deemed that her fate.

Unless it was retconned yet again, I thought Edge of Night has the val’kyrs lead Sylvanas directly to the maw too.

Its one interpretation, yep, at the time we didnt knew the maw existed.

Besides for all we know she wasnt yeeted into the maw she was brought there and told “looks you are going to hell so you better coperate with us” instead of her going to wherever she was going, basically getting conned into doing evil stuff.

Revendreth serves as foreshadow of what may happen because there are pretty horrible persons there so she would most likely gone there before going bastion or whatever was her rightful afterlife (i believe she was very dutiful to quel thalas).

People still use EoN as some sort of measuring stick for Sylvanas character.

Either parts of EoN were straight up retconned or she has received character development since then. Maybe one day I’ll be motivated enough to dissect EoN completely and compare it to current lore.

Just to touch on the part you speak about; she didn’t decide to return to Azeroth until she felt a connection/sisterhood with the Val’kyr; it wasn’t fear.

" But she didn’t want to give her assent out of fear. She waited until she felt something more. A fellowship. A sisterhood. Sisters."

2 Likes

Maybe they were lying? i still believe she wasnt supposed to go to mega hell because of the reasons i previously mentioned, hell, garrosh is in revendreth.

i believe we dont know enough and will once we arrive at 9.3.

As things look right now its not looking good for her but revendreth isnt out of the question, i mean denathrius is on revendreth…

Which goes back to premise of the thread. Is Sylvanas so dumb and evil that she does’t care or is she so dumb and evil to not realize she was lied to ie the Jailer was the cause of all her grief.

I just hope that the big secret isn’t a big let down. What does Zovaal has that’s so special?

Edit: I don’t think its either. I’m hoping that there is a good reason to side with Zovaal other than mustache twirl.

Can i convince you to refrain of having such expectations? so in the case the ending sucks you were expecting it already and if it doesnt you would enjoy it even more.

Now that you mention it; I’m actually thinking about lowering my expectation. What you offer is like a peer pressure drug. I’m curious and really want a taste.

mustache twirl and a horrible ending(if its her end) for Sylvanas, one of WoW’s greatest, iconic, legendary and OGest characters periot would be the lowest of the low.

It may take some time but I’m sure I can get there.

1 Like

One could also say she’s been one of the most infuriating and divisive characters that was the face of the problems with one of the game’s worst expansions. There is more to Warcraft and the factions than one character who has been written as a walking plot device.

9 Likes

The story rather straightforwardly says that when val’kyr tried to use the “Your people will perish!” argument that did not work. And what worked was showing her more of what would supposedly await her.

When it comes to “sisterhood”… Well, what they supposedly looked for (Annhylde; Edge of Night):

We are bound to the will of the dormant Lich King. Imprisoned atop Icecrown, possibly for eternity. We hunger for our freedom, as you once hungered for yours.

What they got (Dark Mirror):

Sylvanas glanced at the implacable visage of the ghostly battle maiden. “It is an arduous endeavor, one they are reluctant to undertake. Without the Lich King’s energies feeding them, I believe it requires a portion of their own essence to succeed.” She turned toward him. “But it is my desire, so it will be done.

When the tide of agony receded and his wits returned, Nathanos’s eyes flickered open and the room took shape.

The Val’kyr knelt in one corner. The creature, who had seemed so immense and implacable, now appeared small and defenseless.

“Such vanity, Blightcaller!” Amusement laced her voice, but he sensed delight in it as well. Was she pleased that the mighty Val’kyr had been bent to her will, or was she simply relishing the acquisition of a new toy?

I mean, I am not surprised because it seems that val’kyrs kept some secrets from Sylvanas. But overall, the story has potential to go in either direction. Val’kyrs could be a case of stockholm syndrome and decide to follow Sylvanas after all. Or they could just backstab her the first moment they can. Both options would have some basis in the currently existing story lines.

gl hf

Her use as a plot device is a much more recent development.
She was a pretty decent character before BfA, and was sufficiently in the background yet making progress on her own and for the Forsaken storyline.

I mean the excerpt straight up said she waited until she felt a sisterhood before she made the pact nonetheless I feel like her current motivation flipped EoN on its head.

I mean maybe we can squeeze fear of what awaits her in there; but it seems she has developed beyond fear or a retcon. I suppose we’ll maybe get a nugget or two about the real pact.

A little of column A, a lot of column B I’d wager.

She seems to genuinely believe that it was the Arbiter system that placed her in the Maw. Which means that assuming that is not the case …for that to happen, she would have to not be aware that on rare occasions souls could be stolen from their destined afterlife to one of a Death entities choosing. Which … I suppose its possible. She didn’t have direct exposure to Illidan, Jin, or Arthas.

Thus, she’s naive in that she’s convinced her seeing "The world as it really Is’ is not just “The world as someone else wants her to see”. And she’s lost hope in that she was driven to this since her suicide and release from Undeath at ICC was her hope. She wanted to “escape her torment” only to find a worse torment was waiting for her after death. So, from her perspective, she’s locked into “Torment she hates”.

1 Like

Personally I think it’d make more sense if Sylvanas knew the jailer was behind dragging her to the maw, and that she’s effectively feeling press-ganged into serving him anyway because as long as he has power over her, he can do whatever he wants with her soul. But who knows what Blizzard’s planned out.