Sylvanas from BfA onwards may have been the result of a dev spat in the Cosby Suite

If Blizzard truly cared about setting things right, they wouldn’t have continued to spit on the Night Elves this much.

With Afrasiabi gone, they could’ve actually went in a positive direction with the Night Elves’ story after they have suffered so much. Instead they decided to double down on their misery by not only ruining their goddess and denying them any sense of justice, but to actually have the souls of the entire Night Elven race go to the maw where they were tortured.

Then, with the perfect opportunity to fix this and letting us free them… they instead decided that the Night Elf souls will mostly be obliterated in the maw and then that’s it.
Then you also have aspects like the Horde still attacking them and killing them in Ashenvale.

I don’t believe that anything has changed regarding the Night Elves and sexism since the current writing team just finished what Afrasiabi started and set an end to the race once and for all with their complete obliteration.
I knew that this story could only come out of a writing team that is hateful towards the race because no writing team would treat one of the fan favorite races this horribly and disrespectful.

(By the way, there would’ve been a million ways to fix Sylvanas story while also keeping her alive. The way Blizzard did it was NOT one of them. And the writers doubling down on her crimes and her victims misery constantly certainly doesn’t contribute to portraying Sylvanas as a better person)

6 Likes

Blizzard and the WoW community are still filled with sexists, so you’re right.

6 Likes

Look. We’re getting all of this overtime just like you.

We’re just now starting to be able to piece more of this together. There’s no way they could have salvaged this at all without at least doing to her what they did to Gul’dan in Legion, but just having her be nothing but a one and done villain to make way for the larger narrative in the story.

They obviously tried, but it has only gotten worse. I will even set aside my previous criticisms on here and accept it as that. A petty college bro that had a mission and screwed everyone (and in some way even screwing Metzen) in the process.

1 Like

I just realized that they decided to make Gul’dan was a victim of ableism. Was that also a problem at Blizzard?

1 Like

They tried?

They certainly didn’t try. They just tried to redeem Sylvanas while doubling down on everything horrible she did to the Night Elves.

Those 2 things don’t go too well with each other. It’s the same with Saurfang’s soul being obliterated.

They made Sylvanas’ crimes even more horrifying towards her victims while also trying to absolve her of said crimes.
That is not trying, absolutely not at all.
If they were trying, they would’ve given the Night Elves some positive development too such as:

• Some victories in their lands
  • A future
  • Letting them free their souls from the maw instead of obliterating them
  • A heritage armor

etc.

Constantly telling us how much the Night Elves have to suffer because of Sylvanas and how there’s no hope for them anymore is counterproductive to a Sylvanas redemption arc.

Afrasiabi had nothing to do with:

• The Night Elf Souls being obliterated in the end
  • Elune being ruined
  • The Horde still attacking the Night Elves to this day
  • The Night Elves being “nearly extinct” as Danuser proudly stated in a recent interview

This is all the current writing team.

7 Likes

You just backed up my point…

They tried and it has only gotten worse from there. Try reading my entire comment and even my previous comments before trying to argue against, but unintentionally (in your case) backing it up :wink:

Calm down.

3 Likes

Well, if we’re going by the exploring Kalimdor book, then it’s actually the night elves attacking and going on the offense against the Horde outposts.

4 Likes

Well I’m just saying that you can’t call this “trying”.

There wasn’t even an attempt made to make this whole thing somewhat believable or entertaining for everyone involved.

A preschooler could’ve come up with a better story than what we’ve seen in Shadowlands, and there are people actually getting paid to write this which is mindblowing to me.

8 Likes

Fighting an occupier is not going on the offense. The occupier is the one on the offense.

20 Likes

Come on we’ve been through that. The Night Elves defending Ashenvale against the invading Horde that commited a genocide against them doesn’t make the Night Elves the offenders.

Please don’t go into this ridiculous argument again

14 Likes

I can fix this. I will steal someone’s idea. Actually its mine now. I made it.

Tyrande and Sylvanas fight again: We get a satisfying beat down of Sylvanas. A trial by combat sort of thing.

Tyrande wins and sends Sylvanas to the maw to collect every NE soul she sent down there.

We go back to azeroth and don’t see Sylvanas for an entire expansion. I don’t think there will be a revamp next expansion but the next one? I want to believe there will be a complete overhaul now that Microsoft needs a good game in their library rather than something to squeeze money out of.

So Sylvanas comes back with all the NE souls in wisp form. Making her amends and the suffering through the maw the price.

11.0 world revamp. All kingdoms and races get a renewal with everyone thanos snapped back by some entity. (Azeroth soul or Elune)

Factions are merged but the distrust between races and ex-factions are still there and creates conflict, colonization, militarization. But no more faction war… Just regional conflicts.

If I could wish for something is if Alliance is an actual real threat now rather than the pathetic pushovers they have been now.

Hire me blizzard. I can save us all and give me lots of money.

6 Likes

Can we retcon this crap then?

This genius idea that the current writing team came up with? The onscreen obliteration of innocent genocide victims that went through an eternity of torture when we desperately wanted to free them?

18 Likes

I had just guessed something similar a few hours before you made this thread:

I guess I wasn’t far off the mark. It seemed the case.

Kinda funny to make a post like that before I head to work, and then read a thread like this during lunch.

13 Likes

I don’t like retcons. Writers are supposed to work around issues rather than hand wave them away when they are inconvenient.

Who wrote shadowlands though? Danuser? it has to be him.

2 Likes

I was more thinking about how they attacked the one in Azshara but you’re correct. I think the Horde should have left Ashenvale fully, and it’s insane it wasn’t part of the treaty.

5 Likes

The writing team had a chance to work around it.

I guess it was too hard for them to let us free the Night Elf Souls so they just obliterated them instead and rubbed it into our faces.

This writing team has totally proven to be better than Afrasiabi in terms of writing the story based on their own gross ideals (not).

The only positive thing the Night Elves got in Shadowlands was… their customization. And thank the lord that the writing team had absolutely no say in that at all, otherwise they would’ve gotten nothing.

Speculation here:

It’s also possible Teldrassil would still have burned, but not in the same way or for the same reasons.

I would lay RL money on the probability that the Fourth War was originally supposed to be started by the Alliance.

26 Likes

That’s quite a good post and fits very well on what probably could have been.

They shouldn’t have went with the obliteration of the Night Elf souls in the first place, but they couldn’t hold back their hatred it seems like.

And this is all on the current writing team. No Afrasiabi involved in any of that.

If they were going to absolve Sylvanas anyway, then why constantly double down on the bad things happening to Sylvanas’ victims?

I hate that its the “fourth” war… what about Garrosh and his war for two entire expansions? That wasn’t a war? But this one for two patches is a war? Ugh…

8 Likes