Sylvanas Fights For Free Will

Could this day get any better? Wow, she’s fighting for our Free Will yo!

I don’t have time to elaborate but elaborate I shall. My prediction was almost 100%

As a long time Sylvanas fan; I am pleased.

38 Likes

Told you they were going to double down on the redemption story :nauseated_face:

38 Likes

I think most of us knew that was coming. Only people clinging to Sylvanas is Hitler was Kat, and that’s another story.

5 Likes

What she says and what she’s doing conflict with each other.

Delusions of grandeur is a thing.

66 Likes

Can’t wait to see how hard is dropped her all knowing attitude when realize she was deceived(She believes her afterlife was the maw) just like the Jailor is going to soon realize (his civil war will leave Shadowlands weak enough for the rest of the cosmic forces to tear it and claim a lot of souls)

Yep Blizzard isn’t reaping Age of Sigmar here

13 Likes

I love that scene.

Because Anduin is basically breaking thr wall a bit saying: really? You are helping us?

Sylvanas is clearly not the villain in her own mind, but that doesn’t stop her from being the villain to us.

17 Likes

I probably haven’t gotten far enough in questing, so I haven’t seen what everyone else has seen. Any sources for this, or do we take OP at their word?

Look at the top post on MMO champ.

8 Likes

“Join us willingly… Or be made to serve.”

Free will, amirite?

68 Likes

You have a choice to make. Join us willingly, or be made to serve”.

That cinematic is meant to elicit us to have some sympathy for her, but as always her personal goals are being superimposed on everyone else. “Free Will … as long as its convenient for me and my objectives, my desires, my fears, my needs” … which has always been her true mantra. Outside of that, yeah … this lady has drunk the coolaid hard, and it was Anduin who actually brought up the obvious. That she’s a tool for someone else, and she didn’t even have a counter to it.

… I cannot wait until he betrays and abandons her. Its gonna feel so good, even if it ultimately means that she likely wont become a loot pinata. When her worldview is proven just a lie to make her convenient for his “Free Will”, given to her to make her convenient for his goals … it’ll be nice.

47 Likes

Thanks for the video!

I have to agree with others, Sylvanas isn’t fighting for Free Will. Her words directly contradict that. Anduin is 100% right in everything he said to her.

The one thing from that cutscene that I want to know more about is how she came to the conclusion that no one has free will, that they don’t make their own choices in life, that they’re somehow predestined from birth to live their life a specific way to be sent to a specific afterlife.

Feels like the concept of Fate/Destiny is being danced around. No one is outright saying it, but they’re saying everything but it.

I can only imagine Fate/Destiny would be a construct of Order. Guess that’s our next Expansion.

11 Likes

it was inevitable i think

2 Likes

Which is strange, because at least on Azeroth it was the void that created the idea of finite lifespans that Sylvanas herself seems so opposed to. The Curse of Flesh was THEIR gift. The destruction of hegemony in service of the titans, and the possibility of … possibility. Her entire ideology is “Life isn’t free because you die, death isn’t free because you don’t get to choose your eternity”. Seems to me Sylvie if you have that problem of perspective the obvious answer is you could choose when your own soul dies.

That is an end that seem pretty free.

4 Likes

I don’t think Sylvanas is heading for a redemption. I think she’s heading for the realization that she made herself a slave, took away her own free will and gave it to someone else on purpose.

This is the kind of story I DIDN’T want for her. She’s such a strong character on her own right. I’d have been fine if she was playing the Jailer all along, but this… this feels like they threw in the towel.

1 Like

Working for a guy who literally fights with binding and chaining death magic, tortures souls innocent or wicked alike in the worst torments imaginable to use their tormented energy products to create an endless army of the damned, and is currently torturing and chaining several prominent heroes of Azeroth because they dared to oppose her and her plans, I feel like there’s this massive disconnect going on here when she talks about “free will”.

45 Likes

I’ll try and remember that when I think about how she exercised it to murder my people.

7 Likes

Well that expansion turned out well for Night Elf players didn’t it?

And it also doesn’t solve the problem of the Horde serving an undead hitler without knowing about her intentions

Boo Blizzard, you suck

11 Likes

As a side note, Sylvanas is a nihilistic, fatalistic, anarchist. And like all Anarchists, what she really means by pursuing “Freedom” is “Control”. Everyone should be allowed to exercise their free will … as long as it in no way infringes upon or gets in the way of my free will. My freedom takes priority over yours. She even goes so far as to imply that none of her decisions were her responsibility!

Such an inspiring ideology! LOL!!!

46 Likes

This seriously made me chuckle a bit. I mean, still having trouble figuring out how being alive on Azeroth in whatever faction, is considered not having free will.

Sorry OP, but this actually had the opposite effect for me; it just showed me how whacked Sylvanas really is. It did however, make me like Anduin a little more, and that is coming from someone who really dislikes him.

9 Likes

The best part was Anduin looking at her like “Is she really serious right now? Oh Light she is!”

For once I feel like Anduin was many of us in that moment.

More to the point we knew she was fighting for “free will” but as others pointed out her states goals and what she is doing greatly contradict it. Hell Anduin even pointed out “Do you really think you are in control here” she kinda just brushed it off, you know in the usual way she tends to do when her plans go wrong and she starts winging it, usually to her detriment.

19 Likes