Swapped to a full AMD Build

Dubbed: Sharkie
https://i.imgur.com/boSGCO2.jpg
Quick Spec Lookup:
Ryzen 9 3900x (Yay for multitasking)
Asus x570 ROG itx (3weeks from order time to drop off location)
RX 5700xt Sapphire Nitro+
32Gb Corsair LPX 3200Mhz (More for Google Overlord)
1Tb Samsung 970 evo NVME + 1Tb WD Blue M.2.

I feel dirty saying that I swapped to an AMD build on this forum.
TL:DR-
-AMD = All Rounder (Performance/$) Compared to Intel/Nvidia. Users may have to overcome some nuances during initial phases.
-Cores Cores Cores.
-“You the Paldin” With his Lisa Su Pillow and AMD stock.

Initial Comments :
Took me roughly a day to get everything the way I like it. Fan Curve, Drivers/Firmware update, and undervolting. Ryzen still process load…oddly which causes your fan to ramp up and down. Though it isn’t as bad as Release Zen2.

USB Roulette became a thing for me as well. Still trying to resolve my mouse stuttering issue. Seems like it happens less on USB 3.2 Gen2

Temperature seem to be pretty tamed ~45c with misc tasking (Youtube, word) and peaked 80c for gaming. I found temps under load much better compared to the 9900k.

Final Thoughts:
Compared to Intel/Nvidia, AMD does offer a better all rounder (its known by most people at this point). It is definitely not the best for gaming but its only a bit behind.

Though I still highly recommend against being a Day 1 user for AMD due to nuances that may happen. Intel/Nvidia are not innocent either, but I found them to have less intrusive issues. Intel/Nvidia are still my go to if I need something that is plug and play.

3 Likes

I love it :grinning:. I’ve upgraded my CPU, RAM, & mobo recently and is nearly identical to yours, though not entirely AMD:

Ryzen 9 3900x
Noctua NH-D15
Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW DT GAMING
64gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz
1TB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe
1TB Samsung Evo 860 SATA
500GB Samsung Evo 850 SATA
4TB Seagate HDD

Don’t feel dirty about it. I’ve decided to make the jump well after hearing how well Ryzen is doing. The last time I used an AMD CPU was the Athlon64 for Socket 939 back in the mid-2000s. Between that and now I was using Intel.

Although I play plenty of PC games besides WoW and know Intel is preferred for the single-core performance, my decision was based on overall computer usage. My last CPU - the 4790k - did me well. However, I was constantly bottlenecked by it, using all cores and maxing out its utilization on a regular basis. It’s how I know having more cores would benefit me more. The most I’ve used so far with the Ryzen is 80% utilization.

Upgrading to more memory was a decision too, as I was using 32GB prior. Yet again, I was constantly maxing that out and dipping into the paging file frequently…thanks to having multiple running programs, browser tabs, and other things in the BG. The most I’ve used so far is 50GB. Though I wondered if I should have gotten the 3600Mhz for $10 more…though the timings were slightly higher.

I’ve upgraded the BIOS to the latest before trying anything and had no issues OCing. I was amazed by how well the Noctua was keeping the CPU cool at the base clock after adjusting the fan curves. The CPU fans rarely ever ran and spent most of the time passively cooling. It gave me a general idea of how much breathing room I had to OC. I’m currently @4.3 all cores. I can push 4.6 stable, but a program I use pushed all 24 cores to 97% and had put it near the temp limit. The temp range now hovers between 45-85C.

Overall, I’m satisfied with my purchase. I don’t see myself missing a couple of extra FPS with Intel and the premium that comes with it. But who knows how things will be the next time I have to upgrade.

Congrats!

I would say most reasonable people can find the merits of each platform.

As for myself, I use primarily Intel systems, but I would not hesitate to recommend or use Ryzen systems.

In fact, I have one (first generation 1600) as a secondary PC and it’s logged hundreds of hours as my TV gaming PC.

I hope you enjoy it for years to come!

That’s a sexy build, Aquorius. Did you try to OC the 3900x at all? Does it stay at max boost when playing WoW? And what is this:

Personally I was hoping to be able to splurge on one of the new R9’s, but they just aren’t good enough for gaming to get rid of my 8700k yet. Maybe Ryzen 4000. But I won’t touch another AMD GPU after my previous experiences with them.

Very nice setup. Good choice of mobo, I always go Asus or Gigabyte. Can’t go wrong with Sapphire either, my Nitro+ has been super solid.

A bit jealous, not gonna lie. Been itching to do a 3900X or 3950X build, but I can’t run Win/Lin full time which makes it impractical (AMD hackintoshes are still buggy).

Is it just me or has USB 3 been the buggiest crap ever for its entire existence? USB 3 hubs are almost always stupid flaky pieces of crap. It’s so weird, I have USB 2 hubs that’ve been in service for over a decade that are fine, but a good name brand USB 3 hub can’t go a week without bugging out somehow.

I feel dirty switching over to a Full AMD build because there is a residential fanboy that roams these forums. Can I cheat and say I used 100% doing benchmarks? I am sure I’ll use 60% at most when all my things running. But hey having extra power for the future won’t hurt.

Zen2 is almost like a reflection of Zen1 in terms of overclocking. I am close to hitting the 95c limit just playing games like Borderland3 with my current setup (I prefer to have the case closed with fans as quiet as possible), so to answer your question Griefs, I went with the undervolting route. It still hits the 4.6Ghz w/ turbo boost on some cores, but on average it hits the 4.3 across all cores fine. Offset with -0.025 drop my temps by 5c. Most of the time it stays under 1.4v which keeps me happy.

Surprisingly I haven’t had, USB3 has been good to me on the Intel side. Have a few hiccups here and there with USB2 being plugged into USB3 devices. My 8600k and razer blade didn’t have this stutter problem that is happening. Trying to figure out if its an Asus thing or an AMD thing that is causing this. Didn’t happen on my gigabyte + r5 3600 awhile back, so I don’t know.

1 Like

Did you undervolt using the BIOS or Ryzen Master? Because apparently there are some major issues undervolting Ryzen 3000-series CPUs using the BIOS. And undervolting seems to hurt performance in lightly-threaded applications, in particular.

I did it through BIOS and I am well aware of this. I saw the video that he previously taken down and tried it. Saw the consequences immediately.

Undervolting in my case did not have major performance hit. Awhile yes I did lose a bit here and there, the temp drop was well worth it in my eyes.

1 Like