SW Death as disc

Have a buddy that plays shadow priest point out I should be using death on CD…seems like a downside to me to take that extra damage especially in sketchy situations.

Do other disc priest just hit it on CD for the damage/atonement healing?

Uh no.

You don’t hit SW:D unless targets are below 20%, and only if it’s safe to do so. It also doesn’t transfer atonement unless you have the legendary equipped, and even if you have it equipped it only does transfer atonement in execute phase. Your friend is wrong.

Even Shadow Priest doesn’t hit death on CD unless they have the mindbender leggo and mindbender is currently out.

There’s a point where you spam smite in downtime yeah?
If you get bored doing that, you press Death, more dps. Or just afk, save mana.

Don’t die tho.

Lol. Not a bad plan with some groups. I say this cuz a tank simply ignored my mana issues (and coincidental spamming OOM in chat) on an HOA 16 yesterday. After going oom nearly every pull he asked why people were dying so much. Then came the answer. Then he asked why I was going oom so much. Well, duh. You go into a pull with me at 30% mana and if I don’t stop drinking and we wipe that is a whole lot worse than having only one or two deaths every pull. Meanwhile, if the dps simply killed the mobs so they died evenly?

Oh, the idiocy.

with the mana torment I never have mana issues…

Until I’m with a group that doesn’t interrupt or stun or constantly makes trash bosses on fort week etc… it becomes so obvious yet it is all on the healer… quite amazing healers are still so popular in M+

Mana torment? Hmm… Is that an anima power? Once I can chase around for mana orbs, I am ok–but honestly, I hate to have to do that. I have been getting the fast eat one as well because without mana it’s a real hassle.

So many tanks are completely oblivious to me saying in chat I need mana, it is nuts. I mean, I’m pulling 8.6k on some pulls spamming shadow mend, but then duh, that costs a ton of mana. And then the next pull, bam, at least one dies cuz I am trying to heal with no mana because the tank won’t even let me drink when I have the fast eat anima power (like it takes less than 5 seconds to be at full) or for boss fights. I was at a 16 HOA yesterday and the tank pulled the first boss with me far away drinking and so I was not even in the fight.

This has happened a lot with bolstering. Some of these mobs literally get ten+ stacks. I mean, interrupts? Blah. A lot are missed and sometimes even all of them. And I queue for a lot of groups and even though I am 2000+ now and have an ilevel of 24. Really, I get about one invite in about six groups when lucky, but it typically takes far more tries than that. And then I get tired of waiting and queue for garbage groups and they are usually poor. I mean, I’d love to spend most of my time queueing for only good groups, but they never invite me. It’s not like I am not selective, but after about half an hour I just start queuing for garbage and then have a bad time, but then at least we complete the dungeon (or not–and I don’t care).

Please teach me how to play disc…I’m timing 16s at like 3k hps overall, I’d love to be at 8k. Would of probably saved quite a few runs that I’ve missed.

3k hps overall is fine–but maybe a bit low. I mean, if you are healing more than 4k hps than I would say the group is bad. It is not you.

I have seen my hps top 10k on some pulls momentarily, but on my latest run, a 16 SOA, I did 4k hps over the entire run, but a lot of kicks were missed and we did not time. But I am geared at 241 with three sockets.

Are you flasking and at least trying to maintain a food buff?

Sensing sarcasm in the force Luke

If you have to heal more than like 3.5k overall in a dungeon, something is probably going wrong with your group.

Besides, HPS isn’t even what you want to strive for as disc imho. Your damage numbers are way more important and if you’re doing a lot of damage, you’re most likely doing a lot more healing anyway

1 Like

Yeah, i never(rarely) need to drink with that. just scoop em up after the fight if your too busy during. sucks on some maps this week its moved to the end.

30% movement for the group > eating faster

Not true in my case. I do a ton of healing when spamming shadow mend. I do a ton of damage when using mind sear a lot. These are mutually exclusive. Just saying.

Maybe it’s because I’m kyrian and boon is simultaneously my highest damage source and puts out so much healing that it basically makes the party invincible.

Otherwise, I’d probably say that making sure you have Purges on targets and knowing when to apply atonements is the most important factor in both doing good damage and good healing.

Your friend probably read the “cast SWD on CD” comment from WowAnalyzer and took it to heart. If you’re not moving there are better things to cast, and even while moving it’s not the first option.

The 3 situations I cast SWD in are:

1. Target below 20% health.
  2. As SP: Shadowflame Prism leggo equipped and Mindbender is up.
  3. I’m moving, already refreshed SWP/PTW, wouldn’t be better served by casting PWS, AND my Mindbender has >15s on it’s CD.

It’s priority is probably even lower as a Healer since whatever DPS gain it gives you is just bonus for your party as its not affecting Atonement.

Interesting. In my humble and thoroughly pug experience, a lot depends on the group. I have done a lot of keys this week, and a rare few actually had dps who paid attention to bolstering. Most did not. I do sometimes join groups that lack experience though–in terms of the timed keys they have done. But even with fairly well experienced groups, you still sometimes get a lot of mobs with 10+ stacks sometimes–which means the dps do not know how to play the affix. And often means the tanks die.

Regardless, I can do a ton of healing and damage from boon as well. I don’t always use it on CD and have had to rebind some keys so I can get the most out of it. Hence, I am kind of trying to incorporate some new buttons and rotations–so still kind of working things out with Boon.

You say you get a lot of healing out of it, huh? Do you habitually cast Radiance right before you start smashing these numbers? Also, how do you use it? I mean what rotation? I ask cuz I have seen a few and have been experimenting at times.

Eva
Rad > Eva > boon >blast > 2xnova > blast aaaa

Lenience
Rad > Boon > blast > rad > blast > 2x nova > blast aaaa

In M+ I’m seeing boon > blast > nova x2 > blast > nova x 2 > blast–and with a radiance here or there depending. And with lust it’s more like boon > blast > nova > blast > nova, etc.

something like that.