SV kill shot

I’ve been advocating pretty hard for proper weapon choice since early beta - by changing the melee abilities to melee weapons instead of 2h, adding Multi-Shot/Counter Shot/Concussive Shot to act as ranged analogs for Carve/Muzzle/Wing Clip, and changing Tip of the Spear and Birds of Prey to proc from AS/MS in addition to RS and Carve, the spec could support a DW, 2H, or ranged weapon option, all within the same spec, without changing any base mechanics.

Thematically the idea of an SV Hunter is that you do whatever you have to in order to survive, hence why we have spears/poisons/grenades in the same spec, and having the widest variety of viable weapon types of any spec in the game fits with that then nicely.

4 Likes

I understand the point, it just doesn’t align with blizzards clear communication that for now it is melee; something I’m surprised they came out and said based on their ignoring of the spec. Ignoring it leads me to believe there’s something going behind the scenes.

Players would still fill the forums asking for a copy of a prior RSV spec.

At this point whole thing is a mess.

1 Like

I pretty much agree with both of you, and suspect this may be the reason why. Like, it makes very little sense no matter how you look at it right now outside of something is probably being worked on that we are not privy to.

Two years for a major revamp? Yeah, with how Blizzard works sometime, I could see it. But changing Kill Shot could be done next Tuesday.

Just don’t complain in that PUG we end up in together when I start using a sword to melee with my mage or bring a warrior tank that uses a bow. :wink:

If its a melee spec why did they give us ranged abilities?

:thinking:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Kill Shot should be either ranged or melee weapon.

Weapon swapping is a thing. Whether to use Arcane shot, and kite, or whatever. It makes the spec even more versatile.

I dare say this was simply an oversight by the development team.

3 Likes

Not gonna kite so well with a ranged weapon…wing clip is tied to the melee weapon. I guess you could tar trap.

In this case, most likely not.

The spec wasn’t designed with weapon swap’ing in mind. There’s a difference between the intent of design and method of play. One has to do with the mechanics of the spec itself, the other is about what individual players decide to do with it.

Yeah. Tar trap, cheetah, or a pet that snares.

Though even if not kiting, sometimes there is a reason to simply not be near your target. It may be aggro’d on someone else.

Or simply make it so when you hit kill shot your melee weapon automatically equips. Just like when a a druid in bear or cat form uses wrath, it automatically puts them in caster form. That’s how weapon swapping should work in this game. Use the ability and the game auto swaps whatever weapon is needed.

You don’t need a melee weapon equipped in order to Wing Clip.

Then the oversight would be giving Arcane Shot and Steady Shot to SV but not allowing them to be used with a melee weapon like Serpent Sting.

Still not the case.

Those abilities weren’t added to SV. They were added to the base class itself. It’s not intended that they should be used when you play as SV.

They were put in there because some players wanted them there, but that doesn’t mean that SV is designed with the intention to include those 2.

I do however agree that the way they handled the “unpruning” wasn’t exactly top notch.

There were several other things which they could’ve done that would’ve been a lot more useful for all 3 specs.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t play SV much… but would it hurt any of us NOT playing SV for Blizzard to make this change?

I don’t understand the player-base saying “No”, when it’s not our place, doesn’t affect us, and would make other players’ of our class happy.

Why not just support our fellow hunters? It literally doesn’t hurt us in any way to just be supportive.

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with what survival hunters want/need lmao the op and that jankratt guy are just actively playing the spec wrong and don’t know what they’re doing

How’s that? Full ranged is not viable, agreed, but if you can’t be in melee at any point when Aspect of the Eagle is on cooldown, weapon swapping is better than not having auto attacks or Focus dumps.

#showtooltip Disengage
/equip [noequipped:Bows/Crossbows/Guns]Name_Of_Ranged_Weapon
/use Disengage
#showtooltip Harpoon
/equip [equipped:Bows/Crossbows/Guns]Name_Of_Melee_Weapon
/tar [@mouseover,harm,nodead]
/use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][]Harpoon

Neither of these macros impacts the GCD at all, so why wouldn’t you use them, assuming you are stuck going in/out of melee and Aspect of the Eagle is on CD? Assuming you get stuck at range at some point when the target is below 20%, wouldn’t you want to be able to use Kill Shot with your ranged weapon?

2 Likes

They are quite literally trying to play survival with just a bow/gun, not macro swapping. Check their armories - specced survival with a gun equipped.

1 Like

Armory can’t show you my macros, homie. I play SV as a range/melee hybrid to the fullest with weapon swap macros.

I get that they were added to the class itself. But I would imagine that the point would be for all three specs to be able to make use of them. Otherwise, what’s the point? Otherwise, it would mean nothing to SV.

It would mean that basically, BM gets to use Arcane Shot. Since Steady Shot is replaced by Cobra Shot during leveling for BM. And MM already had these two abilities.

So giving Arcane Shot and Steady Shot to the “class” was so BM could use Arcane Shot?

Ultimately, the misstep was not allowing these two abilities to be used with a melee weapon like Serpent Sting. If Blizz wants us to always have melee equipped, then that is what they should have done.

1 Like