Survival vote?

Hello, everyone! I wanted to make a thread here to get some reactions/feedback, and essentially take a tally.

So, I want to preface this by saying I AM NOT asking for melee survival to be removed/changed. I don’t think it’s right to remove/rework a spec that people enjoy playing.

Okay, now then, I would like to see the return of ranged survival - likely as a fourth spec. Of course there would be some finagling with the spec’s name.
Now, the popular version of ranged survival really started in WotLK with the addition of Black Arrow and Explosive Shot. These two shots were really the meat and bread of the spec all the way through the end of WoD, until the rework in legion.

Hunter has been 1 of my top 3 favorite classes since I started playing in 2005. And while I have never mained hunter, I’ve always had 1 or more hunter alts over the years. And over those years, the old ranged survival has been a fun & competitive hunter spec multiple times between WotLK and WoD.

I’ve often thought that melee survival should have gotten the feral/guardian Druid treatment and moved into its own 4th spec. Instead of completely reworking a spec that myself and many other hunters had already been enjoying for years.

I’m aware that Blizzard’s reasoning for the rework was “similar playstyles”, but I simply disagree. Neither MM or BM have ever had a focus on DoT shots & traps, the way ranged survival did. Ever since hunters lost mana in Cata, they have been a builder/spender class. Focus has worked very similar to energy for rogues, especially with all the ways now that rogues are able to generate energy, as opposed to the old days of it regenerating in chunks(vanilla).
So, I don’t think it’s fair to say that the specs played too similarly just because they used to same model of generating focus to spend.

Please feel free to leave any(positive) comments down below. Let’s keep it civilized, this is NOT a melee survival hate thread!

So, basically, TLDR: should ranged survival make a return as a 4th spec, without removing melee survival? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Imo another spec is not required. Simply make one of the talents “raptor strike/mongoose, muzzle, flanking strike, wing clip, and carve/butchery can now be used at a range of 40 yards.” What I’d do is put that talent in place of mongoose bite and make mongoose bite baseline. Warning: Balancing this might be a mess especially with the current strength of Survival in arenas.

IMO the current iteration of Survival is more fun than RSV was.

6 Likes

I dont think many people were strictly against the idea of a 4th spec itself, mostly just players from other classes, who worried about other classes wanting a 4th spec too. Most just didnt think it would happen.

I mean, you couldve gotten that info out of the already existing threads. Im not sure a new thread will go any other way. Just wait for the arrival of our jester who will attempt to tell you that RSV was never popular :smiley:

14 Likes

Short answer: Yes. It should.

#[Updated for Dragonflight] Munitions - If RSV was to return

While you haven’t specified how it would make said abilities usable from 40 yards, yes, it would indeed be somewhat of a nightmare to balance.

Also, again with the reservation that you haven’t been very specific, it doesn’t sound like what you’re proposing will achieve what people are actually asking for; the playstyle that was the old RSV.

Have my doubts, but we’ll see ^^

4 Likes

4th spec is stupid as hell. Leave it be. RSV is dead and finally gone. If you wanna play that play style, MM is closest you are gonna get. Its almost identical so no need to waste time making another spec.

14 Likes

Thanks for contributing nothing and being unpleasant. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

18 Likes

Nothing to contribute. We have all seen this same post a multitude of times. Im not trying to be rude but these threads need to be gone. Im sorry if you took it the wrong way, but we have all seen this movie a million times. Let it end.

9 Likes

Bring back RSV fourth spec would be fine. Just bring back Ranged Survival. It is my favourite spec and I want nothing more from the game then to play it again.

25 Likes

OP some classes like DH don’t even have a 3rd spec… And survival good as is, as well as MM and BM.

3 Likes

What was survivals basic theme/play style when it was ranged? Just curious.

Survival now is 10/10 imo. BUT.

Easy fix could be… make wildfire infusion baseline (bc it’s one of the most unique talents in the game) and make aspect
Of the eagle a talent. Make it “increase all abilities to 30 yard range, raptor strike incurs a 5% reduced damage”

1 Like

Do we need another one of these post? Just look right under this one and you will get all the answers you need. All this leads too is a ground for same trolls to have a field day attacking each side with nothing leading to a real discussing.

But all of old surv was chopped up and spread across the other 3 hunter specs - there’s nothing left for unique spec identity.

And you can’t just make a melee spec also toggle to ranged as there would be literally no reason to ever go melee and gimp your uptime/increase your damage taken. Everyone would just pick one style and kill the other anyways.

The game changes; it’s been what, 3 expansions with this iteration of surv? Let the old world die and move on with it.

2 Likes

pretty sure people already had a vote by not playing Survival. it’s been the least played spec since it went melee.

i’ll take a 4th spec though.

13 Likes

You speak as someone who has no clue about the old spec.

Come to think of it, a low level alt on the same realm as Metroid/Toxic used to be on…

Nope, not worth it.

3 Likes

Are you looking at 5.0 or earlier here? Because other than black arrow, pretty much everything else either stuck with new surv, or went to BM or MM.

How would you carve an identity out that doesn’t just look like a reshuffling of the other three specs? That’s my point; there’s not enough left to do that.

1 Like

BM got nothing from ranged SV at all which is probably why he called you out for not knowing what you’re talking about.

That leaves MM which got Lock and Load and Explosive Shot; both in severely diminished and modified forms as talents. It would just be a matter of coming up with 2 different talents in those places.

There’s certainly enough to build ranged Survival. If there weren’t, there wouldn’t be enough for melee either. All melee offers to Survival is Raptor Strike and Carve; two extremely generic and mostly sidelined physical melee attacks. Ranged SV could keep Wildfire Bomb; it would even fit better. I would say that it would need to rework away the BM clone stuff however (Kill Command, Coordinated Assault, Spirit Bond) but that’s no less problematic with the current melee spec as it would be as a ranged spec.

7 Likes

full mobility during combat? :thinking:

2 Likes

you say this like they didn’t straight up rip kill command and bestial wrath and slap it on SV.

8 Likes

It already had this as of patch 5.1.

3 Likes

It’s always laughable when you slip and just downright insult someone… then in a few days or a week or so you’ll be on here whining about how you and your RSV cronies never ever insult anyone, and it’s always the MSV players. Your hypocrisy is astounding.

1 Like