Survival is quite a joke and it needs a rework like ret pala's

Then you would have a class known for its ranged weapons and pets having a spec with neither ranged weapons nor pets. Pass.

4 Likes

There’s also a class known for its fire and frost magic with a spec that uses neither outside of rare backup utility, a class known for demon usage for which 1-2s spec have often optimally not used any demons, a class known for its shapeshift forms for which a spec frequently uses them only as an extra GCD cost to reach their defensives or mobility tools and all others likewise don’t shift after the first time.

Why? Because none of those classes were actually strictly about those things.

Warlock is likewise known for its having access to pets, but that does not mean every single build of it should be arbitrarily forced to use them; the only thing that would need to use them is its Demonology build, just as the only Hunter spec that would rightly need to use pets is Beast Mastery.

Nor is making it so SV cannot generate Focus as soon as its pet is CCed or killed going to make it feel more that much more pet-related. Better for any “pet-coordination” theme —if kept despite already having BM for that purpose— would be effects and functions that leverage the pet to do new, useful things, rather than just holding basic functionality hostage to your pet’s ability to reach an enemy.

1 Like

Literally didn’t read past the first sentence because I know it’s just full of dumb false equivalencies.

A spec without ranged weapons or pets is not a Hunter spec.

Lone Wolf for MM is already pushing it.

3 Likes

what about spell with (double) use
exemple : raptor strike / raptor shot
( when use in melee range do X damage)
(when use at range apply lacerate do X damage over time)
have a talents that let you refresh the bleed with raptor strike

i would change WFB into a shot or some sort i like the fantasy of hunter making tools from beast i dont like the sapper style the bomb have.
i liked it more when it was dragon fire bomb

and i would double down on spell that make you and your pet attack at the same time
i like the idea of spearhead , CA and flanking strike

i would bring back mongoose as it own spell and have it back on a charge base with a talents that would give proc chance on lacerate and have spearhead give chance of charge on pet attack, you can even bring snake hunter back as a talents
i liked the way mongoose was in legion it felt more interactive with the proc base

and have a new spell for single target that interact with mongoose fury (like fury of the eagle use to work) that give you a big boom on a like 45 sec CD

i think i could be cool to have talents for butchery where your pet will perform the ability as you do it

anyway im just throwing idea

1 Like

‘A build without solely ranged casts or pets is not a Warlock spec. It is not. Oh, hi Mark Metamorphosis.’

I find the issues with SV are fairly simple and obvious.

98% of what makes it special and fun are not necessary for PvE.

For PvP, it’s designed quite well.

I don’t really think there is a compromise that would make it popular in PvE (and not compulsory just because big damage) and still retain what makes it special for PvP.

These were the same thing. DFB was just WFB… but with a 30% snare for which it was made a weaker source of damage over time and lacked any synergies.

You already have three Bleed sources, and do not gain any interactive benefits from having multiple on the same target, only from the number of targets afflicted by Bleeds.

Moreover, we already have ranged DoT that is more usefully leveraged than Bleeds — Serpent Sting, as it feeds into Volatile Bomb.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a choice node on it, but what kind of shot is going to excuse the AoE component of WFB, let alone then be able to feed into WFI or some equivalent?

Agreed.

Generalize that to more than just Lacerate (e.g., to all DoT damage), and I’d be sold.

FotE now basically has the relative weight of the old 5-stack value of Mongoose Fury by default. Requiring a Focus-filling 5-second GCD execute skill to be stuck behind 10+ seconds (pre-Haste) of ramp-up would make it feel worse to use and detract from Survival’s responsiveness/opportunism/fluidity/burst.

Between not wanting to overcap Focus, not wanting to waste Carve/Butchery or WFB charges (accelerated under RM), and wanting to use it as an execute, there are constraints enough to it that this would likely be a bad idea even when ignoring that MB probably shouldn’t be as obligatory as it is, especially if it’s to remain on a wing of the tree (a wing that’s on the far end from FotE, at that).

3 Likes

You mean you don’t like having 11 talent points dedicated to 7 different nodes that are all % dmg increase with no extra affects? Asking for a bit much aren’t you?

/s

2 Likes

Times have been talking about how mediocre the talent tree of SV is.

I really enjoyed your notes. I hope the blizzard is following our dissatisfaction and correct by the arrival of 10.1

I think going back in a way to the original design of Survival in Legion would be a good starting point. Mongoose Bite being the focus of the spec as charged based and a change to our mastery to work with that more, with talents that further enhance how charges regenerate or proc. Also make Fury of the Eagle dmg being based on the stacks of Mongoose Fury and while channeling FOTE your Stacks are paused until the channel ends (like it used it be). This and bring back Wild Fire Clusters in the talent tree would be huge. Another idea could be bringing back Flayed Shot (Venthyr ability) with a node off of that for Fragments (the bleed effect from kill shot procs) and have a part of the tree more based on kill shot to compete with Wild Fire Clusters/Bombs. The idea of Kill Shot/Bomb AoE would be kind of cool with the current choices of Coordinated Assault and Kill Shot cleaving or the other choice which is never picked in your bombs are reset at the start and end of CA. I’m just spit balling ideas, but comeon Blizzard! Endless ideas that just seem better and more engaging than current survival (btw love Survival and just want the best for this spec)

I used to think survival was bad till last week. I played with some survival and they were bangers.

1 Like

SV is in a seriously weird spot. Yeah it -can- do damage but it’s not well designed at all. Couple that with the new tier set that’s coming out being a DPS loss if you break the current tier set, it looks really bad.

The new tier set looks bad in design and on number, the latter could be fixed with ease like this
2p : 10% → 15%
4p : 1 sec → 1.5 sec

Extra cooldown reduction on a low priority filler doesn’t help. Bombs were only good in SL when propped up by both a 30%/50% bonus from tier and clusters. 15% boost isn’t going to cut it. Mastery offers no scaling for bombs or kill command for that matter versus actually being a good stat for once with how prevailing mongoose bite is in the rotation.

1 Like

Your TV show was also a 15 min section that’s now included in this other show and has the same actors. Take serpent sting, explosive shot, wailing arrow, and play marksmanship while pretending your spec name is survival and voila ranged survival.

1 Like

We used to have that, until MoP took away the ranged weapon slot. Another big mistake made for the sake of simplicity.

That’s not how that works, the abilities and their interactions are not even close to how it used to be.

Of course not, they wouldn’t have stayed the same even if survival stayed ranged. The fact of the matter is that’s how you can play your ranged elemental archer because those spells you want wouldn’t exist now regardless of survival going melee or not. Things change, but those are essentially the abilities from ranged survival.

1 Like

Man the new tier sets for hunter look incredibly bad lol. SV set is just straight trash, Marks is gonna be a very small to insignificant bonus. At least the BM one will be ok, albeit stale.

Unless SV has a rework to make bombs much more of our damage profile its just not a good set bonus. Certainly not worth losing the current SV 4 set.

But the problem is that wouldn’t play like RSV used to, I could use similar logic for MSV fans and say you want a melee with a pet, there’s DK for that. And there’s no way to know that those spells wouldn’t exist had it stayed ranged, those were instrumental to the spec so I don’t think they would have been removed had it stayed ranged.

3 Likes