Survival Hunter isn't dead.. people just don't know how to play it

Crows shouldn’t be used in any scenario for survival.

ToS tends to be better at the start of expansions due to lower haste levels and needing to use kill command more. Which also makes it a better multi target choice.

2 Likes

Oh no, I am in the same boat. After playing other games like XIV I easily get bored on wow with how simple and button mashy some classes are. I tend to go back to survival when I do play because it takes a bit more effort. It’s just sad to see the game in the state that it needs to be so easy a caveman can do it.

1 Like

Flag it as trolling and move on. These people can’t let someone enjoy something. They gotta spread their misery onto others.

Survival is pretty dead.

In raids its by far the worst spec in the game. Its a melee spec with no unique raid utility and the worst dmg profile possible.

In m+ it has decent dmg in a vacuum but the lack of pretty much any burst, priority dmg, singletarget dmg and the awkweird way sv deals dmg in aoe makes it pretty average/slightly above average in pratice. ( ironically thought its one of the only viable melees for a mdi format)

In pvp its bad because pet survivability is terrible and the meta is also bad for the spec. Pretty much all meta specs right now have some insane dmg, healing, utility or some random 1 shot while survival has none of that.

Also no flame but the guide u linked is pretty bad.

1 Like

I didn’t want to say it. But he generally runs in pretty non-optimal groups and isn’t exactly the best player there is. But he makes it work.

But he does clearly enjoy the game and more power to him. There’s just better websites to find guides.

Edit: also not a flame. He knows how the spec plays and gets higher than most. Just nobody including myself are ever going to reach a supreme io level with Sv. So our wins and goals reached are often much lower than that of classes that do faceroll damage.

Let people enjoy what they enjoy? He likes Surv and put effort into a video that explains some things that a new Surv hunter might not know. Doesn’t have to be the most amazing spec and do top dmg for people to enjoy its playstyle.

5 Likes

I don’t think he was trying to be that negative. If you post some type of video/guide you are going to get some subjective constructive or non-constructive criticism.

Marley is SV; surely he can take it as we struggle just with trying to not get booted even with an io advantage.

3 Likes

Nope these threads need a constant dose of realism. If you guys wouldn’t constantly make these “pls love msv!!! Pls!” Threads no one would be in them telling you why the majority of the community won’t ever play it.

Edit: also go ahead and flag a non troll post because it disagrees with you. Just shows how you guys only want to operate in an echo chamber and don’t want to listen. If what we had to say didn’t bother you then you’d just ignore us and move on. The fact that anything going against you current survival narrative HAS to be trolling is just sad.

13 Likes

I don’t really do M+ but I could see how in a large pack an uncapped aoe like cluster bombs could do a lot of damage. However looking at the video I watched the last boss fight and before you died you did I think like 370k to the boss and Mage and DK did like 570k. Isn’t that an issue, or is it just specific to this boss?

Also the fact that you died kinda speaks to another issue SV has which is being in melee range on a class built for range. It’s undoubtedly the squishiest/least resilient “melee” spec in the game. In PvP it can be offset somewhat by kiting other melee, but it should be doing some really top tier damage for the survivability tradeoff which I just don’t see.

Idk personally I think SV damage is kinda bad in PvP, and the pet just flops. PvE seems to have the same issues from what I can tell.

If ya’ll would just get over a change that’s 4 years old and stop making threads demanding melee survival be removed maybe these other threads about how much we like melee survival wouldn’t be so ‘in your face’ in their tone.

Change.

It happens.

Get over it already.

6 Likes

I said nothing about removing melee. I’m strongly in the 4 spec camp.

12 Likes

Hey bud!
When you have less than 30% has you run ToS because kill commands down is a bit to high to be able to maintain mongoose fury. I’ve tried both tos and mb and in the mongoose fury dump phase we only get 1 or 2 which is invaluable where tos is free extra damage in our weaves

In m+ we aren’t far behind, where MM has higher burst potential - our damage is fairly equal. If you play bombs right, you pretty much on terms with MM.

People say our damage is bad - but our damage is actual good. I’ve out dps fire Mages, MM hunters and boomkins

The damage isn’t the problem with SV, it does though that alot more thinking and set up for it to shine - which i find it great to play. Once you actually understand its shines very well

Its fun though…

Exactly my point here. I’ve fallen for survival when I created for the meme and just want to show that we aren’t a “no damage” spec

I know I always get it everywhere. Which why I started my YT channel to showcase how we aren’t that bad.

Skilled players over fotm people will always shine

1 Like

Correct.
Bloodsucker is just free damage from kill command and works in aor packs with alpha predator gaining 20% attack speed and more dot damage.
Tos only works when you have low haste

I am not trying to be negative but survival is at the bottom of every major websites tier list right now. There’s no reason to bring a survival hunter when an enhancement shaman does more damage and can bring a lust with stuns and side heals, or over a rogue that can help your group skip dangerous packs. Survival is behind BM and MM by an enormous margin. Does that mean the spec is dead ? Nah, it’s fun to play. But it needs help, and not just from a numerical POV but also from a mechanical one too, the spec has some pretty terrible gaps in its rotation. For example pressing carve “the aoe cleave” doesn’t feel good to me, throwing bombs does though because it’s fun. Carve though? It’s boring and just feels like an empty button, these are just examples though…

2 Likes

Just because the spec can do good numbers it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have massive flaws that cause the spec to be dead.

Here are a few:

The first one is that the spec is considered melee, while it can do some things at range it cant perform fully at range 100% for maximum output. Next because its a melee class it has to take the spot of another melee in the group and that can be quite problematic since almost every other melee brings better utility to a raid.

Monks brings a raid buff on top of being the melee dps in the game atm.

Warriors brings a raid buff on top of giving a raid cd.

DKs brings death grip, if they are necrolord they bring an aoe grip, they also bring a raid cd on top of being immune to slow mechanics like march of the penitent on sire denathrius.

Rogues brings better immunitys than any other melee in the game and great ccs.

Demon hunters brings a raid buff on top of a raid cd even if its rng a little.

Pallys brings a ton of raid utility like bop, bubble, very strong heals and others.

That already makes atleast 6 melee which is alot for a raid sometimes going for more than that would be harsh for some fights not to mention that in castle nathria there are some fights where you want to bring multiple dks for grips and their raid cd so they cut the pally and rogue. So that leaves feral druids Survival hunters and enhance shaman in a very awkward spot since lust is brought by the mages or the resto/ele shamans while brez by the dks or resto/boomys.

As for pvp, survival is in a very awkward position because rez pet is now on a 4 sec cast and their pet gets destroyed in the current meta so they cant do much. Atleast bm gets tankier pets so theres that but its still awful. A good comp will always interrupt rez pet so you have to sac turtle to get him back up then hope to god he doesn’t get destroyed again not having turtle for emergency’s really hurts.

So that leaves only one area where survival hunters can shine which is mythic + however these new dungeons dont favor melee that much so why would you play that spec thats the real problem atm. which is why the spec is considered dead even if it can pull good numbers.

3 Likes