Survival Hunter isn't dead.. people just don't know how to play it

So seen dps logs, seen people say we are dead but have you ever actually properly tried the spec.
Yes we don’t have super high burs t like moonkins but we are very stable
If you actually check warcraft logs for bosses, the greatly experienced sv hunters are popping off.
I’ve only started playing in the middle of bfa and maining it in shadowlands. Its hard to get into keys but always show the group they are lucky to grab me when you outdps unholy, boomkins, fire mages - because its the player who is better.

If you would like to learn aswell there’s a guide on yt so you can too become a God survival and have heaps of fun

Edit: removed yt video as I didnt want to do promotion for the channel. I just wanted to get people to understand survival wasn’t dead and its a decent learning curve to play it…

18 Likes

The damage on the spec isn’t the problem, correct. For the most part, it hasn’t been since the rework in Legion.

Does it feel good to play, however? That’s where Survival has struggled.

3 Likes

I don’t think the “does it feel good” part is much of the issue either.

Primarily the major sole issue has simply been a melee spec inserted into a ranged class / specs position.

The spec was bastardized from the beginning due to this. Whether it can perform or not (tends to be on the lower side of the rankings but can still perform at most levels) really isn’t the issue. The issue is it is generally misunderstood and considered a meme spec.

It will likely continue that way unless blizzard puts some serious work into it.

This coming from a survival main. I’m not necessarily pro at this game but I’ve hit 2200 in both 2’s and 3’s arena and hit 3500io multiple patches.

11 Likes

At 20% haste you’re running ToS over MB, does it sim higher for you or is there any reason for this? Good video! Glad to see people keeping the spec alive!

Since legion, Survival spec has been / will be my favorite hunter spec, wish it got more love than it does, I leveled a hunter just to try it out and play it and had the most fun I have had with melee in awhile.
I personally want to see this spec shine.

12 Likes

At work, so I can’t watch video (although I can browse game forums)…So, how close is survival to, say, MM at equal gear levels? Survival is actually my favorite to play, just haven’t played because…bad damage.

Not even remotely close enough if you take an equally skilled and geared player of each spec.

1 Like

I would agree for single target damage, but Survival AoE is really strong right now with Wildfire Cluster legendary.

1 Like

Yes but in high keys while large trash pulls occur and we can shine, that is great.

Problem is other classes can do comparable damage even when target capped. On the longer boss fights where their damage spikes and remains consistent, ours simply remains consistent at the lower end with little to no burst.

It may compete on the overall damage meter but you can really feel and your group feels it when you do lack the single target, especially on tyrannical weeks.

2 Likes

Just curious on your thoughts concerning SV (and to a lesser extent, BM) pet survability in pvp. I really enjoy current BM (great for soloing bosses, will move to work towards mythics and what not) and I genuinely enjoy it for pvp usually. But both specs suffer from their pets falling apart like a wet paper back in decent rated arena games and of course BGs where everything can quickly become a blood bath.

I’ve been suggesting lately about possibly letting pets benefit a little bit more from versatility, even if it’s only defensively have more damage reduction could help since Blizz seems set on the 4 second rez right now, though I’m sure there have to be other ideas or thoughts about it.

It’s viable…like frost mage…just got overshadowed by MM.
You could be UDK and do 20% more DPS and bring more utilities.

Issue is, look how much effort he’s putting into his dps in the clip. Target swapping, multi dotting, etc etc. Unh DK probs just hit 1 button and took a sip of coffee to do the same damage.

10 Likes

people know how to play SV, they just don’t want to because it’s melee.

12 Likes

I usually post in here on my Hunter, Abyssinian (same guild, same server).

And yeah - the spec is amazing. It is kinda dead in terms of population playing it. But it’s picking up.

I’m posting on my paladin because I’ve somewhat recently switched mains to holy paladin. Again I’m playing the ‘weird spec’ that works different - being a melee DPS healer now.

And since doing so, I’ve started seeing Survival hunters “in the wild” now. Healed for one a week back, ran with a new guildie recently on my ‘other alt’ - my DK tank.

So, my server which used to have a total of 6 of us, now has 9, and I’ve dropped from rank 1 to rank 4 because I’ve not done anything with my hunter in about 2 weeks.

9 people playing the spec.

That’s 50% growth.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Just as with this Holy Paladin and healing by doing melee and having to execute melee mechanics to not get one-shot…

Well, the major appeal of survival hunter is the very thing you’re criticizing. How much effort.

WoW is a 15 year old MMO with some seriously outdated class and fight mechanics.

People who have wandered off and played newer games where you have to do more, move more, see more, react to more, predict more, and just be more awake… come back here and get bored on most classes.

So Survival Hunter for the DPS crowd is the “hey, we saw that, and decided to give you a DPS class that takes all your effort just to do anything, so you could have that challenge and not wander off to GW2 or ESO so soon again this time…”

Likewise that’s how I’m feeling with my healer - this toon.

And why my mains for this expac seem to be these 2. I’ve yet to find a tank that gives me that same feeling - but I’ve not yet tried them all so there’s hope. But after being a savage raid tank in FFXIV, the entire way tanking in WoW works feels slow, too simple, and outdated. Even Blizzard’s game designers know this - look at tanking and healing in Overwatch compared to here. It’s an FPS game sure, but - that level of dynamic play can be done in PvE too (just ask current GW2 and FFXIV).

If it wasn’t for survival hunter I wouldn’t have even bothered to give this old slow MMO a second look.

2 Likes

It’s actually not much effort. Every dot class does twice the work.

He’s simply tabbing to bleed or dot. You can actually play a different talent completely and single focus targets down while naturally doing insane bomb damage. That’s just the talent tree he’s playing.

Nothing in wow is that complex. It’s just a melee in a ranged class issue.

2 Likes

And I think most people are referring to PvP, not PVE lol.

Wish people would stop making these threads constantly. Just look to the long survival thread as to why people don’t play survival.

You guys can keep making these threads, which are honestly getting to be spam at this point, but it isn’t going to change people’s minds. This spec could do 30% more damage than any other class with the easiest rotation ever and I would still play MM.

16 Likes

Bloodseeker over A Murder of Crows?

Also… ToS is better than MB? O:

Think you’re in the wrong thread. The insert xx stereotype viskers moron comment page must be in another forum.

4 Likes