Survival Hunter Change Idea

You haven’t counter-explained why old surv spec was good. Your just relying on fake memories of what they did to think they were good…I know…I tried it on WoD, it was so bad.

3 Likes

DH could use a third, ranged spec, but not sure it would be fair to current SV hunters to be be like ‘Now go level a DH. RIP all your pets.’

What would be nice is if the new talent trees allowed for a ranged version of SV if specd one way and a melee version if specd another way.

1 Like

I don’t get the reference.

I like the idea of my character hunting his own pet.

1 Like

“when Blizzard sees a class is barely played there should be a focus group on it to figure out why”

demonology got focus and fixed twice to a good spot that weren’t a weird and cringe “I wanna cosplay a demon despite being a mortal , Im so cool! I can shoot out a shadow wave!”.

1 Like

Survival vote? - Classes / Hunter - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Read these and you’ll see a bunch of people talking about old surv.

No, i’m not.

Grats on playing it once blizz started gutting it.

5 Likes

I don’t think hunter needs 4 specs. Survival is done the way it is and performs well damage wise at the moment.

Fixed.

It worked out fine before it was turned into a melee spec.

It had a 15% heal over 10 secons on killing blow for one expansion. In fact it kept this passive when it became a melee spec in Legion. What a weirdly specific thing to target. Most of the time when people talk about their positive memories of ranged Survival they’re talking about WotLK or MoP when this didn’t exist.

It was not a bland spec. It had a lot of flavour with its utilitarian, special munitions approach.

And yet it was routinely extremely popular and widely enjoyed. Funny, that.

All I’m reading is “Surv is worse to be different”. Survival has a tokenistic handicap that doesn’t make sense at all given you start at level 1 with a ranged weapon. It would be like a Rogue speccing out of having stealth. Specs are meant to build on the base class.

As it turns out, you can have three unique and valuable ranged specs in one class without having to resort to nonsense tokenism like this. They did it for Warlocks and Mages, and in fact they did it for Hunters before Legion as well.

Even if you think the ranged spec we had was bad (despite it being widely beloved and enjoyed), that’s not an argument for making it melee. That’s just an argument for making a better ranged spec. In all your posts you keep setting up this false dichotomy of ranged but bland and melee but unique. As it turns out we can have a unique and good ranged spec, and we did have that.

Actually if you’re fine with breaking the TOS from time to time you can experience ranged SV as it was, and it seems like quite a lot of people do that. It’s frequently one of the most popular specs on WotLK and MoP servers even when it isn’t necessarily the best.

Still on about this heal thing? You know melee Survival in Legion had it?

I’m starting to think you got cleaned up by SV Hunters in WoD PvP and you’re just happy you don’t ever have to see that spec any more.

As I already said, it was a cool and unique pet. It’s weird to attack it for bringing “nothing unique to the raid”. It brought solid sustained mobile ranged damage and all the utility that comes with being a Hunter. Melee SV doesn’t bring anything fundamentally unique to a raid either. In fact that’s frequently a contributing reason to melee SV being an unpopular spec most of the time.

As for calling ranged SV “in a weird spot”… projection much? It didn’t feel out of place in its own class and was routinely very popular. What kind of spot do you think melee SV has been in for its entire existence?

How comical is this wording. Call me crazy but if you “fix” something generally you have to only do it once. If they had to remake Demonology and then immediately remake it again (same with SV in fact) that implies they broke it.

Huh? It always had a ranged weapon and preferred to fight at range, just like all other Hunters. Don’t pretend post-Legion melee Survival is “more of the same”. It lacks a ranged weapon outside of token animations with a generic crossbow and it needs to stick to melee range to deal maximum damage. That’s unlike any prior iteration of Survival, and it doesn’t fit the Hunter class at all given it’s so heavily themed around ranged weaponry.

This is a good idea, but most melee SV fanatics reject it because they know if Blizzard did this the spec would see a large influx of players and they would all play ranged. Keeping it melee-exclusive is a major pride point for those people.

So what? Tuning is ephemeral. They can buff or nerf any spec at any time by any amount. It speaks nothing to whether a spec is a good or bad concept. All the problems inherent with Survival being melee are still there whether or not they cripple the other Hunter specs’ AoE while spoonfeeding SV the best and most overtuned uncapped AoE in the game. Bribing Hunters to play Survival with high damage does NOT fix the issue.

Just consider how far ahead Survival is in M+ and yet there are still far more Hunters sticking to BM and MM… especially BM given how far behind it is right now. People would rather take an enormous performance and reliability hit than play Survival. That should tell you that in fact something is very wrong with it.

9 Likes

I will respec one of my Hunters to survival and give it a go to see how it plays.

But really, if I want to Melee, there are classes a lot easier to use for melee. Which may be one of the reasons it’s underplayed.

No, leave survival as it is.

You guys already have 2 range hunter specs, be it bows and guns, or whatever, let me and many others enjoy being a hunter with a spear.

The only thing to change for the survival is to give an option to fight without the pet, and dual-wielding.

6 Likes

We used to have 3 ranged Hunter specs. The existence of melee SV is predicated on people not being allowed to enjoy SV as it was. There’s no “live and let live” here anymore.

So basically you want to turn it into a discount Warrior/Rogue? Why do you come to the class that’s all about ranged weapons and pets if you evidently like neither of those things? Should I ask for an option to play Mage without spells?

6 Likes

Hunter should not necessarily need to be meant to be with ranged weapons. There are hunters with spears. Like in the primal times. I love that theme, and I hope and wish they will never revert it back to boring leveling spec.

Talking of mages, I believe arcane mage should be melee, with shield and sword, like the Spellbreakers.

5 Likes

What made ranged SV a boring levelling spec? It was a widely played and enjoyed spec across all areas of the game.

It sounds like you just have a completely warped standard of spec design. Specs are meant to build on the base class; not take away from it just to be a special snowflake. I can only hope Blizzard doesn’t continue to cater class design towards people like you.

6 Likes

Survival has 2 abilities that are melee range. Raptor strike and cleave.

Ranged they have: chakrams, bombs, (all covenant abilities are ranged) serpent sting, kill shot, eagle aspect, harpoon, traps ,ranged stun, ranged interupt, ranged purge.

It’s a ranged class that can do some
Melee dmg. When I’m in arenas i stay out of melee until i have burst, i go in and smash things than get out. It’s 10/10 fun

3 Likes

Changing Survival to something similar to how it was in Wrath would be great.

5 Likes

I tried playing Survival, and just couldn’t wrap my brain around it. There’s so many freaking melee classes already, it makes no sense.

BM becoming a tanking spec would be awesome, imo

1 Like

I bet once you get the rotation down you’ll love it. Everyone who gives a fry likes it it has a bad stereotype

I will report back! :slight_smile:

If you have to be in melee range to deal your full damage potential (which is true for Survival) it’s a melee spec.

SV is a melee spec with good ranged capability, not a ranged spec that can do melee damage. All ranged specs can do full damage in melee.

Besides, if it’s mostly ranged at this point then it shouldn’t be a problem to ditch the few melee holdouts and become fully ranged like it once was. Melee SV fans like to simultaneously argue that the spec doesn’t have much melee in it but being melee is a critical part of the spec’s unique identity.

2 Likes

The point is it’s a unique and fun spec one of a kind. It’s alot of fun getting dots up and getting burst ready and going in to do big dam, than gtfo. It’s a dynamic play style. If it was all Ranged why would i play SV over BM or MM?? SV is basically melee BM with more buttons. So if it’s ranged it’s… BM with more buttons?

I played SV in wrath and it was the most fun spec of a hunter. Still boring. Now it’s my #2 class i play instead of not playing at all

1 Like