Survivability concerns for Ret PvP

This is strictly a post about defensives, I am not talking about offense or damage at all.

Here are the PvP changes between DF and TWW for Ret Pally defensives:

• Divine Protection is now 10% instead of 20% (major change)
  • Crusader’s Reprieve is gone. Not only does this lower our range for crucial interrupts and auto-attacks, we also lose its passive healing
  • Sanctified Plates went from 5% Avoidance to 3% in PvP
  • Judgments of the Pure (Judge dispel) is gone
  • Leech stat massively nerfed across the board
  • For some players, losing the passive absorb from the Seal of Filial Duty ring

Granted some of these are minor changes, but adding up a bunch of minor issues can equal to a major issue in the end. To me, these are concerning.

Our wall now being only 10% is pretty bad, losing almost all of our passive healing and our extra range on Rebuke is pretty bad, we now take 2% more damage from Wake of Ashes, Explosive Shot, Orbital Strike , Bladestorm and many more AoE spells, and we can no longer dispel Immolate, Vampiric Touch, Boomy dots or Rogue poisons to help with our survivability and healing. The only defensive aspect we gained is Touch of Light which is almost completely negligible due to its very low proc rate and low tuning.

You could argue that some of these things, like Judge dispel, should’ve never been in the game in the first place, but that’s not really what I’m talking about here.

A lot of the PvP modifiers for Ret are from before the rework, like Word of Glory. Even with Healing Hands, WoG almost feels like a useless button to press in PvP. At full health it also heals for less than Flash of Light. I believe that all Ret PvP modifiers need to be reconsidered across the board.

What are your thoughts? Did I miss anything from a defensive/survivability point of view? Is Ret looking more like a glass cannon in TWW PvP?

12 Likes

Dp isnt at 10 percent? its still sitting at 20 and if you get rid of sov it jumps to 40 percent?

In PvE, yes. In PvP it’s 10/30.

3 Likes

that makes no sense, how and why would it go from 20 to 10, perhaps a bug?

No. Baseline Divine Protection was 20% baseline in PvE, 10% in PvP. A talent buffed it by 10%. That talent is gone (technically still there under the same name, but different effect), so it’s back to 20% baseline in PvE and 10% in PvP. Now you choose between SoV or a buffed DP.

5 Likes

AKA one of the stupidest change for ret, if i could put it that way.

6 Likes

Reprieve being gone is not minor. It was one of the reasons csaa qas just too good oick and forget.

Divine protection was always 10% in pvp combat and the talent made it 20%. Now the talent is conpeging with shield of vengeance and blizzard hasnt removed the 50% nerf on it. Laughable

Avenging wrath might ks also nerfed by 50% in pvp making it a 10% damage healing crit buff. (Continuing pushing us to play crusade for yet another expansion)

Its just amazing how little care goes into rebalancing the spec. Meanwhile arms warrior (the darling spec of the game) just keeps getting its healing BUFFED, they re added op second wind, reverted the nerf to impending victory and just removed a million pvp modifiers from them.

But no, all ret gets is a buff to divine storm and searing light lmfao. Its clear what classes the devs play

7 Likes

It was 10% because of a post rework aura nerf. The game end result was still the same a 20% dp.

Now we have a 10% dp. Do you find it acceptable having a cd be so weak? Its almost as if you are fine with current state ret

3 Likes

Yes, the talent was just always played.

Yes, but this hasn’t changed inbetween DF S4 and TWW S1.

Not sure what you’re saying? I make a post saying I’m concerned and you say I’m fine with the current state ret?

10% DP is risible for sure.

3 Likes

I used to laugh at people when they would call Ret OP because of wings, i would always tell them its a boogyman cooldown, you are afraid of simething that doesnt exist, on paper 10% is the silliest cd to be considered a “burst” cd.

The only way to slightly help our defense is taking short wings for the wimpy 10% on heals so instead of wig healing for 200k it heals for 220k :slight_smile:

And right now the tooltip in pvp WoG heals for 400k baseline, but you wont ever heal more than 200k with it, and thats pre damp.

I know its prepatch but based off how blizzard treats Ret, dont expect any buffs. We are going to be mediocre just like s1.

People are crying now because our Mastery scaling is super high compared to before but ut actually feels more balanced. But yes it will be drastically nerfed and our defense will not be buffed.

3 Likes

Yeah, I believe crit wings need to be buffed back up in pvp

Wog through damp and ms does negative healing

4 Likes

This is why we are forced to run crusade (a pve cd that gives haste lmao). They said they wanted crit to be important yet the one cooldown with crit is cut by half in pvp
10% wall and a 10% offensive cd is just so mediocre

3 Likes

Fine, but you are going to have to give up a lot of that range damage.

It’s absurd seeing my shadow priest CASTED vampiric touch and mind blast doing less damage than insta ret paladins ranged damage.

Go read the PvP forums, the top 3 classes people think are overtuned ready for a nerf are elemental shaman, unholy dk, and ret paladin.

The pvp forums were calling ret op pre rework when it was the single worst spec in the game. No tankiness no utility no healing and the most telegraphed burst in the game. So i am not going by what the pvp forums say. They are gaslighting general forums.

4 Likes

Guess you haven’t played a spriest in pvp, especially since you ignored how ret insta ranged damage is more than our casted mindblasts and vampiric touches outside our long cooldowns. That should NOT be the case.

Spriest burst is just as telegraphed

I am not gonna debate sp vs ret because they are entirely different specs

I could mention 50 things sp does much better than ret. In fact sp is one of the biggest counters to ret idk what you are complaining about.

Havent pvped since week 2 of s4 but last I played they were literal tanks only controlled by other overtunes casters.

You are nobody to speak on rets damage profile or viability

2 Likes

No worries.

I let the pvp forums speak for us.

Pvp forum, especially Arena, get instantly triggered and always lose their minds when Ret is tanky and is not always the go target.

4 Likes

I am amazed you care what the same 10 suspecst there think.

I just told you if ret is trash or op they dont care they will still trash the spec. There is zero discussion to have there.

4 Likes

Pre patch tuning is completely worthless. There is no discussion to be had about numbers at the moment.

4 Likes