Surprised we have not had any news

Did I say it would help? Pretty sure I said it doesn’t matter and it will be here when it is here and we already have plenty of information on what blizzard is planning on doing, which is recreating vanilla WoW.

I understand you ‘want’ these things, but tell me exactly how updates like:
“Hey guys today we are working on the paladin class”
“Hey guys today we are working on goldshire”

Is anything more than just a waste of time.

On one end, the hype has slowly been replaced with impatient twitching.

On the other, Vanilla itself was slowly released with barely much information to the public until the beta, so it seems in line with the experience. We just happen to be able to “see the future”, as it were.

While I am keen on news, I respect their decision to remain quiet, a their communication, as well as the lack thereof, in retail has only made that community rage.

It’s unnecessary. When there is a new expansion that is coming out they may release some news on changes they make to the game and systems they are putting in because there is actually something to discuss there. They are advertising what changes the came up with and can show their playerbase how ‘cool’ these new things will be.

What news should there be with classic at this point?

“Hey guys paladin class is exactly how it was in 1.12 now…but I guess you already knew that it was happening”

“Hey guys today we were brainstorming on how to make the dungeon called ‘the deadmines’ here are some screenshots of how it looks…just like it did in 2004”

It’s silly.

They could talk about cross-realm bgs. They could say which version of AV they’ll be using. They could speak of itemization. They could finally put to rest (for some people) topics like guild banks. They could go into greater detail why they’re thinking of utilizing technologies like loot trading and sharding.

There’s plenty they could talk about.

5 Likes

Take it down a notch…we are obviously working off two different sets of information then.

I follow a lot of bloggers / streamers that sat with interviews with WOW devs and they are also of the opinion that there will need to be a lot of testing / tuning needed.

The reason I brought up the Bliz devs meeting with Nost devs is because the Blizzard team talked about how difficult it would be to recreate Vanilla…specifically because

1. they didn’t have the old version of the game just lying around that they could fire up…the code & infrastructure morphed and changed over time and didn’t see a need to archive that stuff
  2. they couldn’t just simply leverage what the private server devs put together because of how fundamentally different the back-end and programatic stuff was implemented

While they might not be developing it from the ground up, they are having to make a lot of changes on how the game works from it’s current version…and not just textures and abilities…how stats work and all the balance issues around that.

This would be nice to hear from them, don’t get me wrong. But maybe they haven’t made the decision yet. They could be ping ponging decisions we don’t know about… But my opinion is (even though I am not crazy about it) is that you can assume it’s going to be the 1.12 version of all those things. Yeah they have issues and yeah it’s not cool I am just saying they have said multiple times that they are using 1.12 as a platform so you can assume that’s the direction they will take things. 1.12 talents are an issue with early vanilla but they aren’t planning on changing those so I honestly don’t see them changing itemization…hopefully they do but I don’t think they will.

I mean come on… we both know this one is a massive waste of time this isn’t happening. Not even going to humor this idea with explanation for why it isn’t going to be there.

They gave solid explanations for why they are wanting to use these. You and I may not like them, but they explained why they were.

Of course there is! The point I am making though is that it really isn’t worthwhile. For example your loot trading request, lets say they went into a 3 page essay explaining why they are using loot trading tomorrow. Does this change anything? When classic comes out it won’t be any more ‘loot-tradingless’. That’s all I am saying.

Surprised really? This doesn’t surprise me at all

I am just asking you questions my dude.

And you mind linking me to any of these blogs or posts you are talking about? Because the point I originally made was in context of a beta and a beta time frame just to be clear.

You are talking about the actual development side of things here and how long it will take to reproduce the game… which is irrelevant to what I was talking about. I just said that you can’t compare beta testing for a brand new expansion and a reboot of a game because of how vastly different they are. I am not talking about how long it would take to develop the game here my dude obviously it will take at least 2 years overall.

In regard to the timing of release and testing…the 6 month quote is actually for start of Alpha, so I want to correct myself on that. Beta would obviously require less time than that.

I still contend that there is a fair amount of testing (be it Alpha and/or Beta) required because my understanding is that they have no good concrete basis of comparison. That is to say that they cannot fire up their old version of Vanilla, and have a finite point of reference when re-creating the game world using the 7.x client.

The people that I’ve referenced for WOW classic news are guys like StaysafeTV, Tips Out and Esfand. They have youtube channels & Twitch streams with a lot of content and commentary on Classic WOW. These guys are turbo nerds for Classic and also interviewed some of the WOW devs working on the Classic project.

The points I raised about the difficulty the Blizz devs mentioned about re-creating Classic wasn’t specifically to point out how long it would take…it was to point out that they are working with an imperfect basis to recreate the game with.

Because of all the change with the 1-60 content (circa Cata), and because they don’t have a verbatim copy of the original version of the game to work from, there will be lots of small things that will need to be tested.

For example, they were live patching stuff during the preview …for simple things like bandage debuffs not being applied. There were issues with auto attack ranges not matching with how they used to work. Just about everything in the 7.x client is different than Classic, and all that needs to be beat up by people running through the game.

To your point, yes…testing new content / systems in new expansions is different than testing old content / systems. Ideally, you’d have less uncertainty around how mechanics and systems would work with an already proven system. My point is only that just because Classic has been published already does not mean it will not require a significant amount of testing…mostly due to the fact that the original version of the game no longer exists.

Just to clarify I never was suggesting that it doesn’t need testing. I said you shouldn’t compare the amount of testing to any expansion’s beta testing period. That’s all I was saying.

At it agin i see…sigh…

Most likely they’re trying to build up hype and they don’t have a lot information to begin with.

I.g. why release press news right now when you might not have a lot of news later? They will release something a month or two before the release to get people going again. Also the longer they wait to release “bad” news the more likely some people will still play the game when they may not play the game if they release that news now.

We’ll have more information for you in the months to come. ‘Months to come’ is rather vague, but three months later we’ve heard nothing.

1 Like

Just to be clear you switched the argument from why they are using sharding to if they will use sharding. And once again, they may not have come up with another solution so if they haven’t came to a conclusion why would they update us?

I didn’t switch any argument, and I’m not making a case right now for or against sharding. I’m simply using it as an example of something they said they were going to update us on in the coming months, and that hasn’t happened yet. Have they not made a final decision on the matter? Quite possibly. Only Blizzard knows.

Then why did you quote the specific part where we were talking about them explaining sharding more when they aren’t? That doesn’t make much sense. And yeah they haven’t updated us on it and honestly they might not update us until they are about to release the game.

My whole point is that any updates now are basically unnecessary or at the very least very minuscule in terms of information. Now if we were at a point where we were like a year ago when we weren’t sure what they were doing with classic at all then yeah an update would be much needed, but in my eyes blizzcon covered most of what we needed to know and the blanket term ‘using 1.12 as a foundation’ is a legit term to fall back on when thinking “What will they do with X?”

Not saying I like this decision as I personally would love to see classic play out EXACTLY like vanilla did with talent changes and all but that’s just what I get from it…

I don’t know how else to explain it to you other than to say it has absolutely nothing to do with sharding. It could have been about the pimples on a gnome’s cheek. Just that they said they’d update us on something, and that hasn’t happened. And it’s not demanding an answer, either. As far as I’m concerned they don’t owe us anything. But you act surprised when people want a little news when Blizz gave the indication we should be getting some.

My dude I understand that you are referring to asking for updates on anything now, I was just telling you that what you quoted had nothing to do with that part of the conversation and it was out of context.

You: They could explain to us why they want sharding

Me: They did

You:

Me: They did

Well in this video here they said they would update us on if they would use sharding

You understand what I am telling you?

I am not surprised, I am just saying it isn’t going to help or add anything to give updates on stuff that doesn’t need updating.

I would have actually expected in on groundhog’s day for maximum irony.

Look at this forum, a toxic cesspool of trolls. If I’d be a developer of WoW Classic with this kind of audience, I’d not want to share anything at all in advance otherwise you risk getting eaten alive by this mob.

1 Like